Charlie S.

Default Telephone line static

wrote in message
oups.com...
Oh for those, you just need a little $2 punch down tool. You only
really need 2 wires, unless you have 2 lines, but I still do all four
wires to every jack. The little jacks are usually labeled. If you
have the old style, with screws, then all you need is a wirestripper
and a screw driver. The screws should already have colored wires
running from the screws to the jack itself.

Google for RJ-11 jack installation and you'll see what I'm talking
about. RJ-11 is the term for 4 wire telephone jacks. I use RJ-45, but
I run ethernet and telephone through the same jacks (You only need two
pairs for 100Mbps, so you have a spare pair for telephone). Well,
sorry if I confused you with that last bit.

Too tired at the moment to make sense of what you are saying. I'll re-read
it again tomorrow. I didn't realize until today from looking at Home Depot
and what you told me that the screw type of jack is the old style. The new
stuff seems easier to deal with. Also, some of the new clamping tools are
new to me.
Today, I bought a new tacking stapler in case I end up replacing the wires.
I have the u-shaped stapler. I don't think they are a wire friendly (and
may be the root of my problems) as this tacking stapler. There was another
unit there that shot a plastic like casing over the wire. Seemed more
geared to tacking down heavier duty wires. The staples that are used in
this stapler have a wide base with a recessed top that allowed room for the
wires to fit though. I just hope that it works. The u-shaped staples were
beefier.