Joseph Meehan

Default Telephone line static

Charlie S. wrote:
I've had intermittent static on the upstairs phone line for years. I
don't use these phones very often. One reason being is that they are
very annoying. I installed the lines myself. Maybe that is part of
the problem.

I would start by trying a different phone on that line. It may be the
phone.

Next I would check all the connections, removing the wires, one at a
time, and reconnecting them making sure they are clean and tight.

Finally, after all these years I'm looking to rectify the problem. I'm not
sure where to begin. Part of the problem could be that I
have DSL service... although I'm don't think that is the entire
problem because the phones downstairs don't have any static. The
computers actually share a jack with two phones downstairs.

I'm looking at various options...if you could think of something else
please let me know.
1. I thought I would unscrew the wire connections in each of the
jacks and try to re-attach more cleanly.

If that didn't cure the problem then, I would

2. Re-wire the whole upstairs. This would be quite a chore as I
have to run the wires from the cellar. Lots of stapling involved and
running wires through walls. I'd buy new jacks too. Who knows where
the problem is coming from.

3. I guess I could try to get new filters from Verizon. That may be
a wise first choice. Maybe the newer filters are better.

I have a feeling I am picking up radio interference from somewhere. Maybe
one of the staples penetrated the wires and now the wire picks
up a signal from some place outside the house. Can't say for sure...
it's just a guess. I've tried to see if there is a correlation to
computer use or hairdryers, etc. Doesn't seem to be any.

Is there anyway of testing the lines to find out where the static
might be coming from?

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit