DoDa

Default Heating Dog House

Looking for any ideas on the best way to heat a doghouse for the winter?

Donna

Edwin Pawlowski

"DoDa" wrote in message ...
Looking for any ideas on the best way to heat a doghouse for the winter?

Donna

Put a dog in it.

Seriously, if the house is the right size, the dog will give off enough heat
to maintain itself. You can insulate the house a bit if you want. How do
you think animals survive in the wild? Just some shelter from the wind.
Some wussy breeds make take some time to acclimate to winter, I'm told.

yaofeng

I second Ed. Make the house also its house.

Joseph Meehan

DoDa wrote:
Looking for any ideas on the best way to heat a doghouse for the
winter?

Donna

In most places around the world you don't need to worry with a good
properly sized dog house and a fair to large dog. However there are some
areas where the temperatures go too low. I don't have a specific suggestion
however for those conditions. I have not seen a heater engineered for those
conditions. Most are made for indoor use.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

I like you already for the thought. I think the pooch will stay warm enough
just from having a decent doghouse, so maybe a blanket on the floor. If
it's a short-haired breed, I suppose you could use some of that heat-tape
(electrical) that they wrap around exposed pipes.

How about letting the dog sleep inside with you?

"DoDa" wrote in message
Looking for any ideas on the best way to heat a doghouse for the winter?

Donna

Pop

Insulation of course; soft, warm blankets, and a doggie heating
pad. They're just like a regular heating pad but made to be
waterproof and to not overheat. Foster & Smith has them; I buy
there often for odds and ends.
Be sure the house is the right size.
Most dogs don't need extra heat unless the weather is really
severe or windy. Some even prefer it cold, or what we'd call
cold, anyway.
Prevent drafts from getting into the doorway if possible.
It's dampness and drafts that make a dog cold. Otherwise his
body fur is great at holding heat in.
If the dog can get nice and cozy in some warm blankets the
little electric pad makes them nice and toasty.
Just for safety's sake, I'd get one of those portable GFCI's
to plug it into just in case something goes wrong.
Do NOT use a lightbulb or human heating pad; dangerous in more
ways than one. It has to be a gentle, low heat source. You
don't want to warm the air, you want to warm the animal. Also be
sure there is a way to lay without being on it too, in case it's
too hot and you don't realize it.
I had a newfie learned to turn his on and off on his own,
believe it or not! Smartest dog I ever had. Miss him a lot!

"DoDa" wrote in message
: Looking for any ideas on the best way to heat a doghouse for
the winter?
:
: Donna
:
:

Jim & Lil

Hello Donna,

I lived in Tuktoyaktuk Northwest Territories Canada for three years
and have spent many winter days in the cold. I had a Golden Retreiver (lost
her to hip displacia at the age of 10) that I made a dog house for so she
could enjoy her day outside (she came inside at night after much coaxing as
she always wanted to just stay out in her dog run).
I can suggest a few things for your pooch in designing a warm
place.. Put the house on a piece of insulating styrofoam..Get a bail of
straw and make a warm bed for it inside the house....use dark shingles on
the roof and if no shingles use a dark or flat black paint on the roof. Make
the house to fit your dog ...IE; don't build a mansion for a chihuahua and
keep the doorway a reasonable size so your dog doesn't have a wind tunnel.
My dog liked to go in and curl in a ball and stick her nose outside so make
the doorway big enough for that but not so big that the wind can wistle over
its head.
This is wierd but I think it's true.....face the doorway to where the
dog can see what's going on in the neighbourhood... a doorway faced to very
uninteresting site with nothing going on will result in your pooch standing
outside freezing watching the kids across the street because the doorway was
faced the wrong way...this is wierd but true.
Another thing is to never ever let any other dog use the house....dogs
are territorial.......... and what is the first thing a different dog will
do to mark it's territory?...It will **** all over the dog house causing
your dog to sleep on a bed of ice.
I never insulated my dog house....the best insulation a dog house can
have to keep it warm is a dog. Just keep him out of the wind, he'll do the
rest. Hope I was of some help....Jim

"DoDa" wrote in message
Looking for any ideas on the best way to heat a doghouse for the winter?

Donna

buffalobill

how about a pet door to keep the drafts to a minimum and run a
tamperproof thermostat that operates a damper on the forced air furnace
duct of the adjacent home.

look at this:
http://www.seefido.com/html/heated_dog_house1.htm

Kyle Boatright

"DoDa" wrote in message
Looking for any ideas on the best way to heat a doghouse for the winter?

Donna

As someone else mentioned, Drs Foster and Smith sell doggie heating pads.
They are waterproof and are weight activated, so they only operate when the
dog is sitting on 'em.

KB

Unrevealed Source

K & H makes heaters specifically designed for what you want:
http://www.khmfg.com/products/heatedDogBeds.htm

We bought the cat version (just a smaller version) and I'm impressed with
the construction and build quality. Their products are available online,
but my wife found one at a local pet store. The cat version uses the
equivalent of a 40-watt bulb, so we just plugged it in for the winter and
will unplug it in spring.

"DoDa" wrote in message
Looking for any ideas on the best way to heat a doghouse for the winter?

Donna

Opie

"DoDa" wrote
Looking for any ideas on the best way to heat a doghouse for the winter?

Donna

For prompt, friendly advice, please post this in:

Stormin Mormon

The floor is a major factor. Should be possibly wood with some fiberglass
under the wood. Hang a blanket over the doorway, to keep drafts out.

I've never seen this, but some heater tape (like for pipes) under the wood
floor might help.

Cement floor is bitter cold, soaks the heat right out of feet, dogs, etc.

--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

ink.net...

"DoDa" wrote in message
Looking for any ideas on the best way to heat a doghouse for the winter?

Donna

Stormin Mormon

I'd suggest a Rheem 90 percenter. Gas fired, and an Aprilaire humidifer.
Spacegard air filter. Get a good installer.

--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"DoDa" wrote:

Looking for any ideas on the best way to heat a doghouse for the winter?

Put a dog in it.

Good idea.

Seriously, if the house is the right size, the dog will give off enough heat
to maintain itself. You can insulate the house a bit if you want.

And make sure the dog is above the entrance to trap warm air "upstairs."

Nick

redflag

If the dog needs heat in a doghouse to survive then he/she is the type
of dog that probably should be inside during cold weather.

--
redflag
redflag's Profile: http://www.homeplot.com/member.php?userid=134

Edwin Pawlowski

"Usmiech" wrote in message
Put a dog in it.

That is plain stupid!!!!

Care to elaborate? Animals have lived with no aid from man for millions of
years. How did that happen?

Joseph Meehan

Pop wrote:
Insulation of course; soft, warm blankets, and a doggie heating
pad. They're just like a regular heating pad but made to be
waterproof and to not overheat. Foster & Smith has them; I buy
there often for odds and ends.

I checked there but none of the ones available appear to be designed for
outdoor use.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Joseph Meehan

"DoDa" wrote in message
Looking for any ideas on the best way to heat a doghouse for the
winter?
Donna

Now those are indicated for use in a dog house.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Dr. Hardcrab

"DoDa" wrote in message
Looking for any ideas on the best way to heat a doghouse for the winter?

Donna

Check the big pet supply stores. They make and electric "mat" that can be
placed under the dog's regular bedding. Don't using anything that can be
chewed up or cause a fire (like a heating pad).

Electric Mat?? Isn't that the guy that used to host "Dance Explosion" back
in the 70's???

;-]

tm wrote:
Usmiech wrote:
Edwin Pawlowski wrote
DoDa wrote

...Put a dog in it.

Seriously, if the house is the right size, the dog will give off
enough heat to maintain itself. You can insulate the house a bit if
you want...

That is plain stupid!!!!

No... An ASHRAE-standard 50 pound dog has a basal heat generation of
124.10 Btu/h (vs 354.9 when "normally active"), so a 2'x4'x2' tall
bedchamber in the upper part of a doghouse with a warm air pocket
above the entrance and 32 ft^2 of exterior surface could stay 70 F
on a 30 F day if 124.10 = (70-30)32ft^2/Rv, ie Rv = 10.3, eg if it
were insulated with 1" of foil-faced foamboard.

Nick

Longshot

Some dogs want to go outside during the day and they need a protected
place
just in case. Why not be nice and make it comfortable! After all she/he
is a member of the family. Well, unless you are some heartless creep to
your family.

dont you just wonder why the rest of the world isnt already building heated
doghouses?

Gazoo

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
.. .

"Usmiech" wrote in message
Put a dog in it.

That is plain stupid!!!!

Care to elaborate? Animals have lived with no aid from man for millions
of years. How did that happen?

That's really a pedantic and overly simplistic argument.

Dogs were fine outside...

before we bred them into all sizes, shapes, colors, sizes, and purposes.

Lawrence Wasserman

The OP didn't say anything about a dog using the dog house, only
asking for ideas on heating one. Why is everyone getting OT about how
warm a dog should be, the OP only asked about heating a dog house,
nothing about dogs at all in the original post.

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Dr. Hardcrab

"Lawrence Wasserman" wrote in message
The OP didn't say anything about a dog using the dog house, only
asking for ideas on heating one. Why is everyone getting OT about how
warm a dog should be, the OP only asked about heating a dog house,
nothing about dogs at all in the original post.

Yeah!!

Mine is heated because I'm always IN IT!!!

Gotta stay comfortable on those snowy nights...

;-]

i use a heating pad in mine ,he loves it in there.it has a good goor
too lucas

Brigitte

"DoDa" wrote in message
Looking for any ideas on the best way to heat a doghouse for the winter?

Donna

I live in Nebraska where the winters can get pretty darn wicked. I have 3
dogs. One large, and two small. I have an X-large dog house they share
when the weather is cold. In the doghouse I have installed a large outdoor
heated pad. The dogs love it. I don't leave them outside for long periods
of time, such as the 8 hours I'm at work, but when I'm home and don't want
all my dogs underfoot in my small home, they are outside and I want to
provide them with a cozy spot.

You can find outdoor heated pads at the following site:

http://cozywinters.com/shop/kh-1000-1020.html

HTH,
Brigitte

Lighten up. Turns out, humans too can survive, maybe even thrive,
outside climate-controlled cocoons. Unless there is limitless cheap
energy.

DoDa

"Dr. Hardcrab" wrote in message
newsFN5f.13733$2Y2.10017@trnddc05...

"Lawrence Wasserman" wrote in message
The OP didn't say anything about a dog using the dog house, only
asking for ideas on heating one. Why is everyone getting OT about how
warm a dog should be, the OP only asked about heating a dog house,
nothing about dogs at all in the original post.

Yeah!!

Mine is heated because I'm always IN IT!!!

Gotta stay comfortable on those snowy nights...

;-]

ROFL

Glad to see someone has a sense of humour!
If I had said it was for hubby when he needs time out for misbehaviour..and
seeing as how this newsgroup is made up of mainly male posters .I might have
gotten some nasty responses!!

Seriously though..... THANK YOU all for your suggestions, comments & advise.
I'm sure "Heidi" will be the most grateful. I agree with a few posters here
who suggested that she be kept in the house but unfortunately her owner has
acquired allergies and it is either a dog house or a new home and is hard to
give up a member of the family, so heated Dog House is the next best
solution.

Thanks Donna

Chris Jung

"Usmiech" wrote in message
Put a dog in it.

That is plain stupid!!!!

Care to elaborate? Animals have lived with no aid from man for millions
of years. How did that happen?

That's really a pedantic and overly simplistic argument.

Dogs were fine outside...

before we bred them into all sizes, shapes, colors, sizes, and purposes.

Very true and, as well, it depends on where the particular dog breed
originated.

For example, I live in Ithaca, NY. One neighbor has a Malamute - a sled dog
breed that originated in Alaska. I've seen Yukon happily nap outside on top
of the snow in January. OTOH, some other neighbors have an off-the-track
greyhound. Greyhounds originate in the Mediterranean /middle east - places
with hot summers and mild winters. I can't imagine Zip the Greyhound, with
his long limbs, lack of body fat and thin coat, surviving long out in a
Ithaca winter day if he had to depend on supplying his own heat.

And the reverse is true, put Yukon the Malamute in Texas on a summer day and
he would be in danger of overheating but Zip the Greyhound would be fine.

Chris

Heathcliff

DoDa wrote:
Looking for any ideas on the best way to heat a doghouse for the winter?

Donna

Do you already have the doghouse? One factor in how the warm the dog
stays in the doghouse is the house's design. The traditional cartoon
type dog house with the big door in the middle is gonna be pretty
drafty when there's any wind. In the one I built, the long wall is the
front wall, and the door is off to one side, with an internal baffle so
there is an inner chamber that is relatively cozy.
Viewed from above
-----------------------------------
| |
| |
| |
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | |
-- --------------------------

However, after a while I took the baffle out cuz the dog always laid
with his nose at the door anyway. Dog: golden retriever. Location:
cold, windy Chicago.

-- H

ameijers

"Heathcliff" wrote in message
oups.com...

DoDa wrote:
[...]

Shoulda put a plexi window in the back room. Of course he lays in the door.
Dogs are social and territorial- he wants to see who is coming. My former
BIL had a windowed dog house on his deck- one night, the dog refused to go
outside, and it took a little while to figure out why. A nasty-ass raccoon
from the woods had kicked him out of his cozy house, and moved in. Nice
view, shelter from the wind, and a bowl of fresh water and a bowl of food
twice a day. The life of Riley, raccoon-wise. BIL quit putting the dog dish
outside for a couple of days (it was outside because the Lab was a sloppy
eater), and the coon soon moved on.

aem sends....

olaf

"Marina" wrote in message
redflag wrote in
:

snip

It all depends on how cold it gets in the area you live. And don't forget
the wind chill,too!

snip

Wind chill won't effect a dog mush unless it is wet for some reason. Dogs
don't sweat.

There'd have to be some wind chill effect just from the air moving faster
over the dog, but wind chill as we know and experience it is not comparable
to how a dog feels it.

Nuclear? lol I like that one

Pop

olaf" wrote in message
:
: "Marina" wrote in message
: ...
: redflag wrote in
: :
: snip
:
: It all depends on how cold it gets in the area you live. And
don't forget
: the wind chill,too!
:
: snip
:
: Wind chill won't effect a dog mush unless it is wet for some
reason. Dogs
: don't sweat.
:
: There'd have to be some wind chill effect just from the air
moving faster
: over the dog, but wind chill as we know and experience it is
not comparable
: to how a dog feels it.
:
: Nuclear? lol I like that one
:
:
OH yeah, wind chill DOES matter! Sweating or not has nothing to
do with it. There's good reason working and other outdoor dogs
face into the wind when they rest: It's to let the wind pass
over their fur, not push into and under it as it would do if they
turned around. That's also why the curl up; to protect the
less-furred areas of their bodies.
A seasoned dog can stand surprisingly incredibly cold temps if
there is little or no breeze, but they suffer similar to the way
we do if they have can't get out of the wind or properly situated
to minimze it's effects.
It also depends on the type of fur the pet has, whether it's
single or double layered, the color, all kinds of things.
An unseasoned dog with indoor experiences gets pretty cold in a
hurry if they've lost their skills in staying warm.

When you don't know jack, don't say sh_t. K?

olaf

"Pop" wrote in message

When you don't know jack, don't say sh_t. K?

**** off. I still stand by my statement, which also agrees with yours.

They don't feel wind chill in the same manner that we do. Flowing air will
cool the dog (and us) faster than still air, granted! The wind won't be
cooling the dog even more because of the evaporation of liquid (AKA sweat in
humans), though. That changes how the dog feels the wind chill as compared
to humans. Sweat evaporation plays a large role in how we feel wind chill.

K?

Craftsman 100 watt Work Light with All-Weather Cord and Circuit Breaker

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...=03 483023000

Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
oups.com...
Craftsman 100 watt Work Light with All-Weather Cord and Circuit Breaker

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...=03 483023000

The light would give off some heat, but would the dog go nuts with 24 hour
lighting?

Duct Cleaning For House With Gas, Forced Hot Air Heating System ? Robert11 Home Repair 16 March 24th 05 06:32 PM
House Building Secrets markmcc Home Ownership 2 March 12th 05 05:08 PM
Speedfit technique Arthur UK diy 615 November 23rd 04 11:50 PM
house rebuilt year Djavdet Home Repair 27 February 20th 04 02:50 AM
Pool water in central heating system Andy Hall UK diy 1 September 2nd 03 05:01 PM