Robert11

Default Insurance Question Re Loss Of Tree Coverage On Homeowners Policy ?

Hello:

Tried to find an appropriate insurance type forum, but couldn't come up with
one.
So, will try posting here.

Live in Mass.
Had a very large tree planted on our lawn fall over in a windstorm.
No house damage, just the loss of the tree.

Before contacting my insurance agent, was hoping to get some advice.

Would homeowners insurance cover the cost of obtaining a new one, and the
replanting ?

Thanks,
B.

Goedjn

Tried to find an appropriate insurance type forum, but couldn't come up with
one.
So, will try posting here.

Live in Mass.
Had a very large tree planted on our lawn fall over in a windstorm.
No house damage, just the loss of the tree.

Before contacting my insurance agent, was hoping to get some advice.

Would homeowners insurance cover the cost of obtaining a new one, and the
replanting ?

If it does, you're either paying way to much for
insurance, or soon will be.

If the tree smashes your roof in and totals your
chimney-stack, THEN you contact your insurance company.

Toller

"Robert11" wrote in message
Hello:

Tried to find an appropriate insurance type forum, but couldn't come up
with one.
So, will try posting here.

Live in Mass.
Had a very large tree planted on our lawn fall over in a windstorm.
No house damage, just the loss of the tree.

Before contacting my insurance agent, was hoping to get some advice.

Would homeowners insurance cover the cost of obtaining a new one, and the
replanting ?

Very unlikely, unless you specifically paid for such coverage.
Interestingly, my insurance covers lightning damage, but not wind.
You can deduct the property loss from your income taxes; maybe.

PipeDown

Even if you are covered; unless it was a very special tree and you want to
replace it with a similar mature tree, it is likely that your deductible
will be enough to remove it and plant a small new tree in its place. Even
if the cost slightly exceeds the deductible it may not be worth a claim as
they will get it out of you later by raising your CLUE score and eventually
your premium. If you're handy and own or are willing to buy a chain saw,
the cost could be quite low.

This isn't really a problem if you make one claim a decade (or so) but if
they decide you or your property is prone to losses (even without a claim
associated) they may rate you or your property as a high risk. The CLUE
score is available to the next company you try to switch to as well as your
present insurer.

Slightly off topic: Hypothetically if you were a flood victim and had no
flood insurance but a tree smashed your home in the same hurricane, would
you be covered that way or does the flood trump all other claims?

"Toller" wrote in message

"Robert11" wrote in message
Hello:

Tried to find an appropriate insurance type forum, but couldn't come up
with one.
So, will try posting here.

Live in Mass.
Had a very large tree planted on our lawn fall over in a windstorm.
No house damage, just the loss of the tree.

Before contacting my insurance agent, was hoping to get some advice.

Would homeowners insurance cover the cost of obtaining a new one, and the
replanting ?

Very unlikely, unless you specifically paid for such coverage.
Interestingly, my insurance covers lightning damage, but not wind.
You can deduct the property loss from your income taxes; maybe.

John Gilmer

"Robert11" wrote in message
Hello:

Tried to find an appropriate insurance type forum, but couldn't come up

with
one.
So, will try posting here.

Live in Mass.
Had a very large tree planted on our lawn fall over in a windstorm.
No house damage, just the loss of the tree.

Before contacting my insurance agent, was hoping to get some advice.

Would homeowners insurance cover the cost of obtaining a new one, and the
replanting ?

I doubt it. (As another poster suggested, READ YOUR POLICY. Don't scare
your agent unless he is an independent. He might pass the word to the
insurance company.)

BIG trees are "accidents waiting to happen." If they fall down they can
hurt your buildings, your cars, and even kill someone. When alive their
roots can damage pipes and disrupt utilities and even damage foundations and
paving. When they die, their roots rot away and can damage foundations and
paving and utilities again!

The storm might have done you a favor. Unless you have a BIG lot, you
don't want anything to do with BIG trees. If you plant "little" trees, cut
them down when they about to become BIG trees.

Thanks,
B.

Steve Stone

BIG trees are "accidents waiting to happen."

You sound like my neighbor..
We live on former hay fields.
He never planted a thing and lets his grass grow till it is 4 feet tall.
Then he sends his son out to cut it in between beers.