John Gilmer

Default Insurance Question Re Loss Of Tree Coverage On Homeowners Policy ?

"Robert11" wrote in message
Hello:

Tried to find an appropriate insurance type forum, but couldn't come up

with
one.
So, will try posting here.

Live in Mass.
Had a very large tree planted on our lawn fall over in a windstorm.
No house damage, just the loss of the tree.

Before contacting my insurance agent, was hoping to get some advice.

Would homeowners insurance cover the cost of obtaining a new one, and the
replanting ?

I doubt it. (As another poster suggested, READ YOUR POLICY. Don't scare
your agent unless he is an independent. He might pass the word to the
insurance company.)

BIG trees are "accidents waiting to happen." If they fall down they can
hurt your buildings, your cars, and even kill someone. When alive their
roots can damage pipes and disrupt utilities and even damage foundations and
paving. When they die, their roots rot away and can damage foundations and
paving and utilities again!

The storm might have done you a favor. Unless you have a BIG lot, you
don't want anything to do with BIG trees. If you plant "little" trees, cut
them down when they about to become BIG trees.

Thanks,
B.