MG

Default Granite Countertop

I have seen an ad for a method to resurface a countertop with some kind of
man made granite.

The old top is covered, without dismantling, with what looks like a 1/4 inch
thick granite.
I assume the stuff is poured because it curves to form the front edge.

Anybody has experience about durability or any other problem?

Thanks

MG

Edward Grant

In article t,
"MG" wrote:

I have seen an ad for a method to resurface a countertop with some kind of
man made granite.

The old top is covered, without dismantling, with what looks like a 1/4 inch
thick granite.
I assume the stuff is poured because it curves to form the front edge.

Anybody has experience about durability or any other problem?

Thanks

MG

I never heard of what your describing. I had SileStone installed in my
kitchen but they removed the old countertop and put the new top on.
Charles Spitzer

"MG" wrote in message
k.net...
I have seen an ad for a method to resurface a countertop with some kind of
man made granite.

The old top is covered, without dismantling, with what looks like a 1/4
inch thick granite.
I assume the stuff is poured because it curves to form the front edge.

Anybody has experience about durability or any other problem?

Thanks

MG

it's not poured. it's real granite, just very thin sheets.

Charles Spitzer

standard solid granite? usually $45-75/sqft. granite tiles? $7-20/sqft. both
+ costs for edging, which can be $10-20/lin ft.

you can pay more too, depending upon which color you chose and installation
problems.

"Me" wrote in message
what is a rough price for the granite counters?

"Charles Spitzer" wrote in message
"MG" wrote in message
k.net...
I have seen an ad for a method to resurface a countertop with some kind

of
man made granite.

The old top is covered, without dismantling, with what looks like a 1/4
inch thick granite.
I assume the stuff is poured because it curves to form the front edge.

Anybody has experience about durability or any other problem?

Thanks

MG

it's not poured. it's real granite, just very thin sheets.

Ranieri

"MG" wrote in message
k.net...
I have seen an ad for a method to resurface a countertop with some kind of
man made granite.

The old top is covered, without dismantling, with what looks like a 1/4

inch
thick granite.
I assume the stuff is poured because it curves to form the front edge.

Anybody has experience about durability or any other problem?

You're talking about this stuff, I assume:
http://www.granitetransformations.com/granite.html

Appears to be granite dust / chips in an epoxy or polyester binder. I would
think it would be fairly durable - but have no 1st hand exp.

The cost may not be significantly less than a new granite counter, though.
No demo required, tho - which can be a plus.

Chris Lewis

According to Ranieri uh, nah:
You're talking about this stuff, I assume:
http://www.granitetransformations.com/granite.html

Appears to be granite dust / chips in an epoxy or polyester binder. I would
think it would be fairly durable - but have no 1st hand exp.

The cost may not be significantly less than a new granite counter, though.
No demo required, tho - which can be a plus.

Zodiaq (Dupont), Silestone and a few other materials are 90% quartz/10% epoxy
resin composites which are used as a granite substitute. Produced as large slabs,
you get local dealers to cut/install the stuff for you.

Cheaper? No. Roughly same price range as natural granite, but there's more
colours, and the stuff _really_ doesn't need any maintenance. (Granite needs
to be [re]sealed periodically, this stuff doesn't)

Your link sounds like something very similar, but oriented towards a different
application.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
Andy Hill

"Ranieri" uh, nah wrote:
"MG" wrote in message
nk.net...
I have seen an ad for a method to resurface a countertop with some kind of
man made granite.

The old top is covered, without dismantling, with what looks like a 1/4

inch
thick granite.
I assume the stuff is poured because it curves to form the front edge.

Anybody has experience about durability or any other problem?

You're talking about this stuff, I assume:
http://www.granitetransformations.com/granite.html

Appears to be granite dust / chips in an epoxy or polyester binder. I would
think it would be fairly durable - but have no 1st hand exp.

The cost may not be significantly less than a new granite counter, though.
No demo required, tho - which can be a plus.

We took a look at that "Granite Transformations" stuff when they opened up a
place in town. While it might be nice alternative to something like Corian
(the epoxy binder is going to give it a lot of the same heat-related downsides
as Corian, without Corian's "buff out scratches" upside), it comes out a distant
second in the esthetics department -- the stuff has very little "depth" to it.