Tom Sikes

Default Need Advice on Mounting a Piece of Granite in Countertop

We are going to be installing new counter tops (laminate w/ wood edge) in
our kitchen. I have a piece of granite that I would like to install in the
countertop near the stove. Does anybody have advice on mounting the granite
into the countertop. I would prefer to install it flush or near flush with
the countertop.

I have two instances of granite mounted in wooden countertops in my house.
One has beveled-edge granite resting in a rectangular hole in the wood, and
one has square-cut granite resting on a ledge that is cut into the wood with
a router. What kind of tools do you have?

"Tom Sikes" wrote in message
We are going to be installing new counter tops (laminate w/ wood edge) in
our kitchen. I have a piece of granite that I would like to install in

the
countertop near the stove. Does anybody have advice on mounting the

granite
into the countertop. I would prefer to install it flush or near flush

with
the countertop.

Mike Columbo

"Tom Sikes" wrote in message
We are going to be installing new counter tops (laminate w/ wood edge) in
our kitchen. I have a piece of granite that I would like to install in

the
countertop near the stove. Does anybody have advice on mounting the

granite
into the countertop. I would prefer to install it flush or near flush

with
the countertop.

installing the granite is the easy part.

cut a beveled (15 degrees) cutout in the laminate top
grind down the edges of the granite (same bevel) to fit in the cutout (all 4
sides get beveled).
make sure the top is the widest part of the beveled edges.

cutouts in laminate tops for cutting boards are a disaster waiting to
happen.

you should be asking
"how do I seal the edge of the laminate cutout"

M.C.
somewhere in Ca.

At my house, the sealant is gravity. It's a free product available
everywhere.

"Tom Sikes" wrote in message
Tools are not a problem. I've got a router, roto zip, table saw, worm
drive, etc. How did you seal the space between the granite and the
countertop? I have considered grout with silicone over it.
. com...