skibum

Default Granite countertop sealer

My wife and I are really pleased with a granite countertop that we
purchased at Home Depot, and have always been aware of the relatively
higher maintenance granite requires. We're at the 1 year point and so
far so good: no chips, stains, or disaster stories!

I bought a water-based sealer from Aqua-Mix. After applying the stuff
to a "test area", the color of the granite remained preserved, but the
glossy "sheen" was gone. A couple of newbie questions:

-- Did the sealer permanently get rid of the glossy surface?
-- Will a polish restore it?

I'm trying to maintain granite the "right way", but I'm most interested
in preserving its shine. Thanks for everyone's time

-B

Roger Taylor

Tile, porous stone, and grout sealers are usually acrylic or some other
water based product that dries. Granite a relatively impermeable rock, does
best with penetrating solvent based silicone sealers, that don't dry
appreciably, and must be rubbed practically dry after application. Make
sure the sealer you got is specifically for granite, and not a general
masonry or stone sealer. If you used the wrong sealer, it could have dried
and left a film.

"skibum" wrote in message
oups.com...
My wife and I are really pleased with a granite countertop that we
purchased at Home Depot, and have always been aware of the relatively
higher maintenance granite requires. We're at the 1 year point and so
far so good: no chips, stains, or disaster stories!

I bought a water-based sealer from Aqua-Mix. After applying the stuff
to a "test area", the color of the granite remained preserved, but the
glossy "sheen" was gone. A couple of newbie questions:

-- Did the sealer permanently get rid of the glossy surface?
-- Will a polish restore it?

I'm trying to maintain granite the "right way", but I'm most interested
in preserving its shine. Thanks for everyone's time

-B

wayne

511 Impregnator is the one that all the people I spoke to suggested and I
used it on my tile floor and Granite countertops. I have been very happy
with the results. You just need to follow the directions and I believe you
will be happy with the results

Wayne

"Roger Taylor" wrote in message
Tile, porous stone, and grout sealers are usually acrylic or some other
water based product that dries. Granite a relatively impermeable rock,
does best with penetrating solvent based silicone sealers, that don't dry
appreciably, and must be rubbed practically dry after application. Make
sure the sealer you got is specifically for granite, and not a general
masonry or stone sealer. If you used the wrong sealer, it could have dried
and left a film.

oups.com...