Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Default Granite Countertop Leaving water and oil spots

I recently got granite countertops from a local installer. The kind of
granite is SHIVAKASHI PINK. The installer had sealed the countertops
after installation, but yet water is seeping into it and water
marks/spots stays until the water evoporates. After my complaint,
installer applied the Bellinzoni Super Sealant but water is still going
into the granite although it takes few minutes for it to penatrate.
Installer then said, some stones like SHIVAKASHI PINK are more porous
than others and it is okay even if water pours in. He said, oil will
not leave any stains though. After some heaving cooking and frying, we
did notice some oil stains on it though.

Can somebody help me with following questions :-

1) Is SHIVA KASHI PINK really a very porous stone?
2) Is it okay if water goes into the granite? Is it possible that
someother things can also go with the water?
3) Since, we also have backsplash between the oven and fan, we have
already started noticing grease stains on it, which can't be okay. But
does it mean oily fumes are also penatrating into the granite? Is it
normal?
4) Do I have any protection as a customer? The installer keeps saying
that he gives Life long guarantee but there is nothing written?
Thanks for your help.
AJ

Rick & Cyndi

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

=====================

AJ,

Try these folks. http://www.coloroc.com/ They seem to be quite
knowledgeable.

Another company to try is: http://www.keysgranite.com/

One other company I can think of is: http://mysticgranite.com/

I have dealt with all three of these companies either directly and
indirectly and have only had great results. *Disclaimer* I reap nothing
for sharing their information with you.

HTH,
Cyndi

Charles Spitzer

"Rick & Cyndi" wrote in message

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

you will continue to have problems. various materials will enter the stone
and leave stains that won't come out.

you only have 2 choices: seal and removal. you can put on multiple coats of
sealant, and it will need to be redone every few years.

wrote in message

Can somebody help me with following questions :-

2) Is it okay if water goes into the granite? Is it possible that
someother things can also go with the water?

Bacteria and viruses will go in with the water. Once inside, they will
multiply rapidly. They will form large colonies and spread.

Thereafter, everything that touches the counter will get infected. So,
for example, if you put any food onto the counter, it will soak up
concentrated bacteria and virii like a sponge.

Eventually, the problem will spread to all parts of your home, soaking
into the frame and the sheathing. The germs will continue to multiply,
24 hours a day. The problem will show up gradually, and at first,
subtly. It will be insidious and mysterious.

A few more colds than usual? Maybe. Next year, a bout with the "flu"?
Small nicks and scratches that get red and infected? Stuffy head in the
mornings? A nagging cough, that no doctor can diagnose?

Eventually, you will notice strange smells that seem to have no
particular location. Your pets will die mysteriously in the night.

Please don't even think about bringing children in there.

On 17 Dec 2004 09:00:24 -0800, someone wrote:

I recently got granite countertops from a local installer. The kind of
granite is SHIVAKASHI PINK. The installer had sealed the countertops
after installation, but yet water is seeping into it and water
marks/spots stays until the water evoporates.

There is NOTHING WRONG with your granite. It is stone. It gets wet,
it looks wet, until it dries, and then its not wet any more. If you
wanted an artificial material you shoulda got one. Like "Formica".
Instead you got a natural material with natural characteristics, that
you can put hot stuff on without melting, warping or delaminating, but
now you think it is defective because it doesn't act like Formica.

(BTW, names of granite are often just local or distributor names and
the same stone can be called different things in different shops.)

This is on par with saying that a concrete highway is defective
because the pavement is a different color when its wet than when it is
dry.