FE

Default Stove That Doesn't Vent to Outside

Hi,
I'm a real estate agent. My clients found a home but the vent over the
stove doesn't go outside. It is a two-story home and the stove is on an
interior wall.

Not having an outside vent is a show-stopper for my clients. However, if
they found a house without an outside vent they would consider installing
one later, but for this particular home they think it would be too difficult
to make this adjustment.

I'm assuming we will simply have to forget about this home, but just in case
someone has faced a similar situation, I would be appreciative of your
advice.

Thank you!

Joseph Meehan

FE wrote:
Hi,
I'm a real estate agent. My clients found a home but the vent over
the stove doesn't go outside. It is a two-story home and the stove
is on an interior wall.

Not having an outside vent is a show-stopper for my clients.
However, if they found a house without an outside vent they would
consider installing one later, but for this particular home they
think it would be too difficult to make this adjustment.

I'm assuming we will simply have to forget about this home, but just
in case someone has faced a similar situation, I would be
appreciative of your advice.

Thank you!

It sounds like you understand the situation rather well. You might want
to have a local pro take a look at the situation and see how much he might
charge to put one it. Often the experienced professional can see ways of
doing things that us mere mortals can't see.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

RicodJour

FE wrote:
Hi,
I'm a real estate agent. My clients found a home but the vent over the
stove doesn't go outside. It is a two-story home and the stove is on an
interior wall.

Not having an outside vent is a show-stopper for my clients. However, if
they found a house without an outside vent they would consider installing
one later, but for this particular home they think it would be too difficult
to make this adjustment.

I'm assuming we will simply have to forget about this home, but just in case
someone has faced a similar situation, I would be appreciative of your
advice.

There are gas fireplaces and stoves that don't require chimneys.
Example: http://www2.northerntool.com/product-1/200166774.htm

If the stove is designed to be vent-free, and it was installed
correctly, it's probably not a problem as far as safety is concerned.

The vent-free stoves/fireplaces do have combustion byproducts - air and
water. The water vapor is what you have to be concerned with. Added
moisture to a house in a cold climate (any climate really) presents
problems.

Get the model number and make, go to their web site and contact the
manufacturer.

DJ

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 11:10:49 -0700, "FE"
wrote:

Hi,
I'm a real estate agent. My clients found a home but the vent over the
stove doesn't go outside. It is a two-story home and the stove is on an
interior wall.

Not having an outside vent is a show-stopper for my clients. However, if
they found a house without an outside vent they would consider installing
one later, but for this particular home they think it would be too difficult
to make this adjustment.

I'm assuming we will simply have to forget about this home, but just in case
someone has faced a similar situation, I would be appreciative of your
advice.

"Stove" is a pretty generic term, is this a wood "stove", a gas
"stove", an electric "stove", an oil "stove", a pellet "stove" or
what?
------------------------
stove: n.
An apparatus in which electricity or a fuel is used to furnish heat,
as for cooking or warmth.
A device that produces heat for specialized, especially industrial,
purposes.
A kiln.
Chiefly British. A hothouse
-------------------------

My parents used to call what we now call a "range" a stove, maybe
that's what you are talking about?

Thank you!

DJ
Amun

"FE" wrote in message
Hi,
I'm a real estate agent. My clients found a home but the vent over the
stove doesn't go outside. It is a two-story home and the stove is on an
interior wall.

Not having an outside vent is a show-stopper for my clients. However, if
they found a house without an outside vent they would consider installing
one later, but for this particular home they think it would be too

difficult
to make this adjustment.

I'm assuming we will simply have to forget about this home, but just in

case
someone has faced a similar situation, I would be appreciative of your
advice.

Thank you!

Why are you wasting your clients time trying to sell them a house they don't
want ?
If they aren't interested, don't force it down their throats.

Someone else will likely want it.

AMUN

Edwin Pawlowski

"FE" wrote in message
Hi,
I'm a real estate agent. My clients found a home but the vent over the
stove doesn't go outside. It is a two-story home and the stove is on an
interior wall.

Not having an outside vent is a show-stopper for my clients. However, if
they found a house without an outside vent they would consider installing
one later, but for this particular home they think it would be too
difficult
to make this adjustment.

By stove, I assume you are talking about the cooking range not a wood
burning stove for heating or such.
There is no obligatory reason to have a stove vented to the outside. Plenty
of benefits to do so, but not a requirement at all.

It they insist they want a vent, no amount of reasoning is going to change
their minds. It may be possible to vent across the room through cabinets,
but you will lose the top shelf of them or the soffit above. Most need an
8" pipe for the vent.

RicodJour

Amun wrote:
"FE" wrote in message

[...]

Maybe the homebuyers and the real estate agent don't know what they are
looking at and need advice whether or not it is a problem or not.

Maybe the real estate agent is doing their job, and earning their
money. I don't see anyone being forced.

Maybe you're just reading between lines that aren't there.

Most likely all three.

FE

"RicodJour" wrote in message
ups.com...
Amun wrote:
"FE" wrote in message

[...]

Hi RicodJour,
Thank you very much for your post. I've been working with these clients for
quite some time and it appeared that maybe we'd found a decent fit. These
clients are smart, reasonable people, so I thought if experts on this forum
had any suggestions maybe there would be a ray of hope. If there was no
hope, then we would simply move on. It was not a big deal.

Maybe Amun forgot to take his medication this morning.

Amun

"RicodJour" wrote in message
ups.com...
Amun wrote:
"FE" wrote in message

[...]

I just read these two lines.

"Not having an outside vent is a show-stopper for my clients."
"but for this particular home they think it would be too difficult"

Sounds pretty clear to me that they don't want the house or a fan vent would
not be the deciding issue.

AMUN

No

Assuming we are talking about a vent hood above a kitchen range. Adding one,
even on an interior wall, is possible. Anything is possible. I wouldn't let
that stop a purchase if everything else was likable in the house. Where is
it located?

FE wrote:
Hi,
I'm a real estate agent. My clients found a home but the vent over the
stove doesn't go outside. It is a two-story home and the stove is on an
interior wall.

Not having an outside vent is a show-stopper for my clients. However, if
they found a house without an outside vent they would consider installing
one later, but for this particular home they think it would be too difficult
to make this adjustment.

I'm assuming we will simply have to forget about this home, but just in case
someone has faced a similar situation, I would be appreciative of your
advice.

Thank you!

If you are talking about a cooking stove some provincial codes here in
canada don't require an outside vent if the home has an air/heat
exchanger

RicodJour

FE wrote:
"RicodJour" wrote in message

Amun wrote:
"FE" wrote in message

[...]

Removing the stove entirely would be another option. Not a big deal to
do. Cap off the line to the stove/fireplace in the basement, as close
to the main line as possible. Open the floor or wall by the stove and
remove the exposed piping and patch and paint. I wouldn't turn down a
house I liked for such a little item. You could probably have the
existing owner pay for the work if they wanted to sell the house badly
enough.

Amun

"FE" wrote in message

"RicodJour" wrote in message
ups.com...
Amun wrote:
"FE" wrote in message

[...]

My first thought was this is a troll.
As what kind of real estate agent would use usenet to make a sale, and not
first contact a contractor to see the house.
But the above reply makes me sure it's a troll.

Hey, I'm looking at a house but want I want to put in a two person whirlpool
tub.
Can I ?
LOL

AMUN

FE

"Amun" wrote in message
.. .

"FE" wrote in message
> [...]

"RicodJour" wrote in message
ups.com...
Amun wrote:
"FE" wrote in message

[...]

Dear Amun,
I googled paranoia + medication + emerency. Here is a link to the results:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...tion+emergency

Amun

"FE" wrote in message
"Amun" wrote in message
.. .

"FE" wrote in message
> [...]

"RicodJour" wrote in message
ups.com...
Amun wrote:
"FE" wrote in message

[...]

Already proven you were a troll
And what kind of real estate agent you are

PLONK

AMUN

Goedjn

Hi RicodJour,
Thank you very much for your post. I've been working with these clients for
quite some time and it appeared that maybe we'd found a decent fit. These
clients are smart, reasonable people, so I thought if experts on this forum
had any suggestions maybe there would be a ray of hope. If there was no
hope, then we would simply move on. It was not a big deal.

If they otherwise like the house, this shouldn't be a major problem.
It's a cookstove, right? But you still ought to be able to duct
the vent in a soffit or through the floor-joists to an outside wall.

"That looks to difficult" is generally a translation for,
"It's not obvious to me how to do this." Find someone who
DOES know how to do it.

Michael Daly

On 12-Sep-2005, "FE" wrote:

vent over the stove doesn't go outside

So you're not talking about the stove - you're talking about
the range hood, right?

You can always install a vent to the outside for a range hood.
However, it may be very costly and/or not look so good.

I've done one where there were cabinets with a false beam above
the stove. The vertical run was through the cabinet and the
horizontal run was through the false beam to an outside wall.
It was easy.

What would be involved in your case would require examination
of what is there - the wall and what it takes to run a vent
pipe to the outside. Without this info, we can't say anything
useful.

Mike
FE

"Amun" wrote in message
.. .

"FE" wrote in message
> [...]
"Amun" wrote in message
.. .

"FE" wrote in message
> [...]

"RicodJour" wrote in message
ups.com...
Amun wrote:
"FE" wrote in message

[...]

I am as helpless as a newborn kitten before your stunning come backs and
wit. Thank you for exposing me. I promise from this day forth that I will
be a better person. I hope we can be friends.

p.s. I googled twit + dweeb + moron. Here is a link to the results:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=twit+dweeb+moron

FE

"Michael Daly" wrote in message

On 12-Sep-2005, "FE" wrote:

vent over the stove doesn't go outside

So you're not talking about the stove - you're talking about
the range hood, right?

You can always install a vent to the outside for a range hood.
However, it may be very costly and/or not look so good.

I've done one where there were cabinets with a false beam above
the stove. The vertical run was through the cabinet and the
horizontal run was through the false beam to an outside wall.
It was easy.

What would be involved in your case would require examination
of what is there - the wall and what it takes to run a vent
pipe to the outside. Without this info, we can't say anything
useful.

Mike

Thank you all very much for the suggestions. I work in the Phoenix Metro
Area, where the housing market is VERY, VERY, VERY busy. It's slowed down a
little bit lately, but we are still pretty much in a seller's market. A few
posters made a great suggestion to have a contractor to come look at it,
which, I bet, is the only way to go. Before I went to that level, I thought
I would run it by the news group then compile responses and send them to my
clients. This might help them decide if it's worth it to pursue the home or
just keep looking. Also, the contractor I use and trust is VERY busy, and I
don't think I could get him to run out there today.

The husband is a fairly serious home chef, and this issue, although
seemingly small, is very important to him. I'm told his cooking generates a
lot of smoke and that they also fear the "grease factor." Earlier today I
wrote to the wife, "Just in case someone posts a follow-up question about
why it might be difficult to make the adjustment to [home], please describe
your thoughts to me and I'll reply to the newsgroup accordingly if that
moment comes!" Here is her reply:

"Because the stove was on an interior wall it seemed as though we would have
to tear up a lot of the house to run the vent through the ceiling to get to
the outside. The ceiling was already pretty low in the kitchen, and I don't
think it would be desirable to just run the vent through the room. And I
don't think it would be possible to run it up through the house to get to
the ceiling, seeing as the second story is there."

Again, thank you all and I'll see how soon I can get a contractor out.

Charles Spitzer

newsPnVe.234233$E95.78994@fed1read01...

On 12-Sep-2005, "FE" wrote:

[...]

it might be easier and cheaper to move the stove. i did that on my last
house when i did a total remodel, but this wouldn't be as bad as that.

regards,
charlie
cave creek, az

Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 12 Sep 2005 04:01:13p, FE wrote in alt.home.repair:

"Because the stove was on an interior wall it seemed as though we would
have to tear up a lot of the house to run the vent through the ceiling
to get to the outside. The ceiling was already pretty low in the
kitchen, and I don't think it would be desirable to just run the vent
through the room. And I don't think it would be possible to run it up
through the house to get to the ceiling, seeing as the second story is
there."

Again, thank you all and I'll see how soon I can get a contractor out.

This bit of information helps. With a second story above, obviously the
duct for the vent cannot simply run up through the ceiling and out the
roof. With a low ceiling in the kitchen, although the simplicity of
running a duct in false beam is appealing, the appearance probably would
not be. The ease and cost of installation is going to be highly dependent
on whether the ceiling/floor joists above run parallel or perpendicular
going to the outside wall where the outside vent would be placed. Being
able to run a duct between two joists where there would be few or no
obstructions would not be that difficult to do.

I'm in Apache Junction... The housing market is insane here! We now have
a house in escrow after a long and difficult search.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Michael Daly

On 13-Sep-2005, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

With a second story above, obviously the
duct for the vent cannot simply run up through the ceiling and out the
roof.

Unless there's a conveniently placed closet on the second floor
and you can run the vent up thru that.

Mike