RicodJour

FE wrote:
Hi,
I'm a real estate agent. My clients found a home but the vent over the
stove doesn't go outside. It is a two-story home and the stove is on an
interior wall.

Not having an outside vent is a show-stopper for my clients. However, if
they found a house without an outside vent they would consider installing
one later, but for this particular home they think it would be too difficult
to make this adjustment.

I'm assuming we will simply have to forget about this home, but just in case
someone has faced a similar situation, I would be appreciative of your
advice.

There are gas fireplaces and stoves that don't require chimneys.
Example: http://www2.northerntool.com/product-1/200166774.htm

If the stove is designed to be vent-free, and it was installed
correctly, it's probably not a problem as far as safety is concerned.

The vent-free stoves/fireplaces do have combustion byproducts - air and
water. The water vapor is what you have to be concerned with. Added
moisture to a house in a cold climate (any climate really) presents
problems.

Get the model number and make, go to their web site and contact the
manufacturer.