KTECH

Default Eating outdoors

Last big holiday of the summer coming and I would like to have a family cook
out. Problem is ,here in Chi the bees ( all kinds) seem to have the same
idea.
Looking for some tricks you guys use to keep our cook out human only.
Other bugs can be somewhat controlled . But not the bees ,Wasps etc.Fat is
going on the fire next weekend regardless.We'll probably feed the crew
inside.Which meansGrandpa cleans for two days.
Frank (rather be golfing than cleaning)

C & M

I haven't tried them but there are yellow jacket traps available. It think
that they have to be set out in advance of your event so as to collect so as
to catch some of the offenders beforehand. Enjoy the family gathering!!

"KTECH" wrote in message
Last big holiday of the summer coming and I would like to have a family

cook
out. Problem is ,here in Chi the bees ( all kinds) seem to have the same
idea.
Looking for some tricks you guys use to keep our cook out human only.
Other bugs can be somewhat controlled . But not the bees ,Wasps etc.Fat is
going on the fire next weekend regardless.We'll probably feed the crew
inside.Which meansGrandpa cleans for two days.
Frank (rather be golfing than cleaning)

PrecisionMachinisT

"KTECH" wrote in message
Last big holiday of the summer coming and I would like to have a family

cook
out. Problem is ,here in Chi the bees ( all kinds) seem to have the same
idea.
Looking for some tricks you guys use to keep our cook out human only.
Other bugs can be somewhat controlled . But not the bees ,Wasps etc.Fat is
going on the fire next weekend regardless.We'll probably feed the crew
inside.Which meansGrandpa cleans for two days.
Frank (rather be golfing than cleaning)

Try hanging a few whitish colored paper bags into nearby trees using
string....blow the bags up to appear kinda similar to a wasp nest.

As wasps are territorial, they tend to avoid areas belonging to a different
colony.

--

SVL

willshak

On 8/27/2005 6:27 PM US(ET), KTECH took fingers to keys, and typed the
following:

Last big holiday of the summer coming and I would like to have a family cook
out. Problem is ,here in Chi the bees ( all kinds) seem to have the same
idea.
Looking for some tricks you guys use to keep our cook out human only.
Other bugs can be somewhat controlled . But not the bees ,Wasps etc.Fat is
going on the fire next weekend regardless.We'll probably feed the crew
inside.Which meansGrandpa cleans for two days.
Frank (rather be golfing than cleaning)

Wasps/bees have a liquid diet. Yes, I know wasps may feed on other
insects, but they don't eat them, they extract the body fluids from the
insects. I usually put out a few plastic plates for them with a small
amount (teaspoon) of a fruit salad (like Ambrosia, melon salad, etc.)
and/or a fruit flavored soda or juice, some distance around the
perimeter of the people area. Wasps/bees inside the perimeter will go to
their isolated plates rather than having to interact with humans.
Wasps/bees outside the perimeter will encounter their plates before
entering the people area. It may not attract them all, but the amount of
bees/wasps in the people area is greatly reduced.

--

Bill
Liz

"KTECH" wrote in message
Last big holiday of the summer coming and I would like to have a family
cook out. Problem is ,here in Chi the bees ( all kinds) seem to have the
same idea.
Looking for some tricks you guys use to keep our cook out human only.
Other bugs can be somewhat controlled . But not the bees ,Wasps etc.Fat is
going on the fire next weekend regardless.We'll probably feed the crew
inside.Which meansGrandpa cleans for two days.
Frank (rather be golfing than cleaning)

We place small paper bowls of pancake syrup around the yard and that seems
to take care of most of them. Our big problem this year, however, has been
mosquitoes, thanks to excessive heat and humidity. They're so bad this year
that we haven't been able to eat outside the whole summer, and friends who
come for a swim are provided with Cutter anti-mosquito wipes to use when
they're not in the water. Personally, I'm anxiously awaiting the start of
winter!

Liz

Edwin Pawlowski

"Liz" wrote in message
. Our big problem this year, however, has been mosquitoes, thanks to
excessive heat and humidity. They're so bad this year that we haven't
been able to eat outside the whole summer, and friends who come for a swim
are provided with Cutter anti-mosquito wipes to use when they're not in
the water. Personally, I'm anxiously awaiting the start of winter!

I've had good luck with the OFF brand lanterns with the heat activated
insecticide. They do a 15' area. Works well on the deck or patio, but not
much good for a walk in the woods.

Liz

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
news

"Liz" wrote in message
. Our big problem this year, however, has been mosquitoes, thanks to
excessive heat and humidity. They're so bad this year that we haven't
been able to eat outside the whole summer, and friends who come for a
swim are provided with Cutter anti-mosquito wipes to use when they're not
in the water. Personally, I'm anxiously awaiting the start of winter!

I've had good luck with the OFF brand lanterns with the heat activated
insecticide. They do a 15' area. Works well on the deck or patio, but
not much good for a walk in the woods.

Ed, we went to Home Depot, Lowe's & CVS last weekend looking for those
lanterns but they're already off the shelves. Maybe today I'll check out
the smaller garden centers. Thanks for the recommendation...I was wondering
whether they actually work.

Liz

Dumbo

KTECH wrote:
Last big holiday of the summer coming and I would like to have a family cook
out. Problem is ,here in Chi the bees ( all kinds) seem to have the same
idea.
Looking for some tricks you guys use to keep our cook out human only.
Other bugs can be somewhat controlled . But not the bees ,Wasps etc.Fat is
going on the fire next weekend regardless.We'll probably feed the crew
inside.Which meansGrandpa cleans for two days.
Frank (rather be golfing than cleaning)

One or two large fans should make the area uncomfortable for most bugs.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Liz" wrote in message

Ed, we went to Home Depot, Lowe's & CVS last weekend looking for those
lanterns but they're already off the shelves. Maybe today I'll check out
the smaller garden centers.

Sure, they have to get the Christmas goods out now. I looked for refills
too, next year I'll stock up early. I have one left.

Rudy

Looking for some tricks you guys use to keep our cook out human only.

When we BBQ, I hand out fly swatters and offer a 'bounty' for the striped
pests..
We usually "whack" a dozen or more, then they start to taper off

Jeff Wisnia

KTECH wrote:
Last big holiday of the summer coming and I would like to have a family cook
out. Problem is ,here in Chi the bees ( all kinds) seem to have the same
idea.
Looking for some tricks you guys use to keep our cook out human only.
Other bugs can be somewhat controlled . But not the bees ,Wasps etc.Fat is
going on the fire next weekend regardless.We'll probably feed the crew
inside.Which meansGrandpa cleans for two days.
Frank (rather be golfing than cleaning)

My dad used to put a few slivers of barbequed meat in a saucer and set
it on the ground about 10 feet away from our outdoor dining table.

The wasps congregated there and left our family and friends alone.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

"Liz" wrote in message

. Our big problem this year, however, has been mosquitoes, thanks to
excessive heat and humidity. They're so bad this year that we haven't
been able to eat outside the whole summer, and friends who come for a
swim are provided with Cutter anti-mosquito wipes to use when they're not
in the water. Personally, I'm anxiously awaiting the start of winter!

I've had good luck with the OFF brand lanterns with the heat activated
insecticide. They do a 15' area. Works well on the deck or patio, but
not much good for a walk in the woods.

Ed, we went to Home Depot, Lowe's & CVS last weekend looking for those
lanterns but they're already off the shelves. Maybe today I'll check out
the smaller garden centers. Thanks for the recommendation...I was wondering
whether they actually work.

Liz

We bought a mosquite trap. i searched those same stores first, but none
had them. They say they sell out in the spring. I thought that was
odd. Anyway we got one from ABC warehouse, and I can say it does catch
mosquitoes. Since only the females feed on blood, the idea is to thin
the population by killing the females over the course of several weeks.
Then in combination with the lanterns with the citronella which works
to mask the co2 you breathe out which attracts them, we have been ale to
eat outside. Still when the sun starts its descent, we generally have
to hed in... We have small marsh area in our backyard lots of mosquitos.

--
Respectfully,

CL Gilbert
nospambob

Considered oil on the marsh water?

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 09:26:18 -0400, "CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert"
wrote:

We have small marsh area in our backyard lots of mosquitos.

John Savage

"KTECH" writes:
Last big holiday of the summer coming and I would like to have a family cook
out. Problem is ,here in Chi the bees ( all kinds) seem to have the same
idea.
Looking for some tricks you guys use to keep our cook out human only.
Other bugs can be somewhat controlled . But not the bees ,Wasps etc.Fat is

I don't know about wasps, but with bees if you take a swipe but miss then
the bee can get very agro. Don't overlook the usefulness of the hoover for
gently sucking up bees, etc. Wait for the bee to alight on the table, and
slowly edge the vacuum cleaner hose up to it. At first the bee just feels a
strengthening breeze and it digs in its heels, but as the breeze grows to
a typhoon the bee surrenders. They get well and truly tangled in the fluff
inside the cleaner bag, but just to make sure they never emerge, a squirt
of insect killer down the hose when packing away should seal their fate.
With wasps and spiders I stick a cork in the hoover hose and don't unplug
it from the vac to be doubly sure there are no escapees in the house!

FDR

"KTECH" wrote in message
Last big holiday of the summer coming and I would like to have a family
cook out. Problem is ,here in Chi the bees ( all kinds) seem to have the
same idea.
Looking for some tricks you guys use to keep our cook out human only.
Other bugs can be somewhat controlled . But not the bees ,Wasps etc.Fat is
going on the fire next weekend regardless.We'll probably feed the crew
inside.Which meansGrandpa cleans for two days.
Frank (rather be golfing than cleaning)

Get a dog. Ours loves to try to catch then in her mouth. Luckily she
hasn't gotten stung yet!

keith

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 01:03:59 +0000, FDR wrote:

"KTECH" wrote in message
Last big holiday of the summer coming and I would like to have a family
cook out. Problem is ,here in Chi the bees ( all kinds) seem to have the
same idea.
Looking for some tricks you guys use to keep our cook out human only.
Other bugs can be somewhat controlled . But not the bees ,Wasps etc.Fat is
going on the fire next weekend regardless.We'll probably feed the crew
inside.Which meansGrandpa cleans for two days.
Frank (rather be golfing than cleaning)

Get a dog. Ours loves to try to catch then in her mouth. Luckily she
hasn't gotten stung yet!

Our golden *loved* to catch 'em, until she got old. Then it wasn't pretty.
At about the same time we had a cat that would catch flies mid-air. One
time he cought one, but it wedged itself in the cat's toe webbing.
....buzzing all the time. The cat went *nutz* shaking the paw and chewing
down between the toes. It was funny!

--
Keith

Sherman

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 00:56:55 GMT, John Savage
wrote:

"KTECH" writes:
Last big holiday of the summer coming and I would like to have a family cook
out. Problem is ,here in Chi the bees ( all kinds) seem to have the same
idea.
Looking for some tricks you guys use to keep our cook out human only.
Other bugs can be somewhat controlled . But not the bees ,Wasps etc.Fat is

Provide the bees with water at an alternate nearby location, well
away from the crowd. I used a concrete bowl under a faucet drip and
it attracted the bees. On the day of the cookout, in small narrow
strips, pour a small jar of honey on the ground near the water. That
will keep the bees occupied with food and water.

Most importantly, instruct your guests to never swat at a bee. They
are gentle creatures and will never sting unless provoked.

Angrie.Woman

wrote:

"KTECH" writes:

Last big holiday of the summer coming and I would like to have a family cook
out. Problem is ,here in Chi the bees ( all kinds) seem to have the same
idea.
Looking for some tricks you guys use to keep our cook out human only.
Other bugs can be somewhat controlled . But not the bees ,Wasps etc.Fat is

Provide the bees with water at an alternate nearby location, well
away from the crowd. I used a concrete bowl under a faucet drip and
it attracted the bees. On the day of the cookout, in small narrow
strips, pour a small jar of honey on the ground near the water. That
will keep the bees occupied with food and water.

Most importantly, instruct your guests to never swat at a bee. They
are gentle creatures and will never sting unless provoked.

I'm in Chicagoland too, and I suspect he's talking about yellow jackets.
It's best just to eat inside. You can't even really sip a soda this
time of the year the risk of finding a darned bee in it.

If they're nesting in your yard, burn 'em! Other than that - run away!