willshak

On 8/27/2005 6:27 PM US(ET), KTECH took fingers to keys, and typed the
following:

Last big holiday of the summer coming and I would like to have a family cook
out. Problem is ,here in Chi the bees ( all kinds) seem to have the same
idea.
Looking for some tricks you guys use to keep our cook out human only.
Other bugs can be somewhat controlled . But not the bees ,Wasps etc.Fat is
going on the fire next weekend regardless.We'll probably feed the crew
inside.Which meansGrandpa cleans for two days.
Frank (rather be golfing than cleaning)

Wasps/bees have a liquid diet. Yes, I know wasps may feed on other
insects, but they don't eat them, they extract the body fluids from the
insects. I usually put out a few plastic plates for them with a small
amount (teaspoon) of a fruit salad (like Ambrosia, melon salad, etc.)
and/or a fruit flavored soda or juice, some distance around the
perimeter of the people area. Wasps/bees inside the perimeter will go to
their isolated plates rather than having to interact with humans.
Wasps/bees outside the perimeter will encounter their plates before
entering the people area. It may not attract them all, but the amount of
bees/wasps in the people area is greatly reduced.

--

Bill