John H.

Default rain gutters dirty

I have those white aluminum gutters but they have become quite dirty.. they
dont clean up very well. Am I better off just to paint over them?

My painter convinced me to do that about 6 years ago. It worked very
well, at least so far. I was worried that it might peel, but it hasn't
at all. So, I guess if you do it right, it works!

Edwin Pawlowski

"John H." wrote in message
I have those white aluminum gutters but they have become quite dirty.. they
dont clean up very well. Am I better off just to paint over them?

I'd give one more try with a strong cleaner first. If that does not work,
you can paint them and yes, it will be a durable as any house paint and
eventually have to be re-done.

Luke

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 13:23:49 -0700, "John H."
wrote:

I have those white aluminum gutters but they have become quite dirty.. they
dont clean up very well. Am I better off just to paint over them?

Try cleaning with mineral spirits. Though, white aluminum gutters
often hold stains. If you paint, latex is self-priming on the gutters,
just needs a good cleaning first, which you'll have already done if
you try cleaning with mineral spirits :-).

--
Luke
"I believe in the division of labor. You send us to Congress; we pass
Dan Espen

"John H." writes:

I have those white aluminum gutters but they have become quite dirty.. they
dont clean up very well. Am I better off just to paint over them?

I've used straight Clorox which works well.
It may not look like it's working but
they get brighter in a few hours.

Jmagerl

John H. wrote:
I have those white aluminum gutters but they have become quite
dirty.. they dont clean up very well. Am I better off just to paint
over them?

GO to the hardware store and buy some Aluminum Siding cleaner. Works like a
champ. On tough spots spray on full strength. Wear gloves and don't let it
drip down your elbows.

.

x-no-archive: yes

"John H." wrote in message
I have those white aluminum gutters but they have become quite dirty.. they
dont clean up very well. Am I better off just to paint over them?

Yes, powerwash them and then paint. About 10 years ago, I did this to mine
and I need to do this again. I can't remember the paint I used. But it stood
up well. I used a "whiz" roller to put the paint and it was quick, simple
and fast using an extension handle on the roller, I did it all from the
ground, no ladders.

Not rain gutters, but something.... Jim Beaver Home Repair 2 July 30th 05 06:38 PM
No-clog rain gutters & downspouts? Bert Hyman Home Ownership 11 May 23rd 05 03:40 PM
Rain Gutters K style TP Home Repair 1 October 15th 04 09:20 PM
Replacing facia boards behind gutters Tom Miller Home Repair 6 October 3rd 04 02:59 AM
Home inspection dilemma - missing gutters Jon Home Repair 36 May 21st 04 03:34 AM