Jim Beaver

Default Not rain gutters, but something....

I've decided that my new house doesn't really need rain gutters. I'm in
Southern California, get very little rain except in the winter, have no
basement, and have substantial eaves draining water away from the exterior
walls. However... my front porch has a small roof of its own, probably no
more than four feet in depth. It's just shallow enough that people standing
on the porch waiting for the door to be opened are exposed somewhat to the
dripping off the porch roof. I don't really want to put a raingutter on my
porch roof, but I would like something to sort of divert the sheets of water
from the center front edge of the roof. Is there some sort of device that
would divert or funnel water rolling down the roof away from the center
edge, letting it pour off the left and right edges of the porch roof? And
if there is such a thing, what's it called?
| ______________ |
| / \
|
| / ? \

| -------------------------------- |
| || ----- ||

| || | | ||

| || | *| ||

Jim Beaver

Abe

I've decided that my new house doesn't really need rain gutters. I'm in
Southern California, get very little rain except in the winter, have no
basement, and have substantial eaves draining water away from the exterior
walls. However... my front porch has a small roof of its own, probably no
more than four feet in depth. It's just shallow enough that people standing
on the porch waiting for the door to be opened are exposed somewhat to the
dripping off the porch roof. I don't really want to put a rain gutter on my
porch roof, but I would like something to sort of divert the sheets of water
from the center front edge of the roof. Is there some sort of device that
would divert or funnel water rolling down the roof away from the center
edge, letting it pour off the left and right edges of the porch roof? And
if there is such a thing, what's it called?

This was talked about in an episode of TOH. What Silva did was to make
a diverter out of flashing metal and install it on the edge over a
door. In your case it would go on the edge of the roof over the door.
It was made of 2 pieces of straight flashing each about 30", and bent
at about 75 degrees (not quite an L). They were mounted kind of like
an upside down V over the door. They met in the center over the door
and the edges were mitered to make a peak. The angle of the V was
about 160 degrees.

Greetings,

In my area code requires gutters. Perhaps yours doesn't.

Hope this helps,
William

Gutters - aluminum vs. vinyl Apropos Home Repair 6 July 18th 05 07:59 PM
No-clog rain gutters & downspouts? Bert Hyman Home Ownership 11 May 23rd 05 03:40 PM
Roof runoff overshooting gutters HerHusband Home Repair 4 May 20th 05 08:39 PM
Rain Gutters K style TP Home Repair 1 October 15th 04 09:20 PM
Home inspection dilemma - missing gutters Jon Home Repair 36 May 21st 04 03:34 AM