Percival P. Cassidy

Default Securing heavy electrical cable

The cable (round with a black covering) that feeds our electric range
has no markings that I can make out, but the breaker is a dual 40A, so I
guess the cable must be 8-3 (or bigger) + ground.

What is the approved means of securing this where it runs across the
joists? At present it has nails hammered in on each side and bent toward
each other forming a "two-part staple"! I am sure that this cannot be
kosher, but I can't find anything that is marked as being for cables
this large.

What should I be looking for?

Perce
Chris Lewis

According to Percival P. Cassidy :
The cable (round with a black covering) that feeds our electric range
has no markings that I can make out, but the breaker is a dual 40A, so I
guess the cable must be 8-3 (or bigger) + ground.

What is the approved means of securing this where it runs across the
joists? At present it has nails hammered in on each side and bent toward
each other forming a "two-part staple"! I am sure that this cannot be
kosher, but I can't find anything that is marked as being for cables
this large.

It's not kosher, but not that unusual I suppose.

Staples for wire this large are available, but you may have
to go to a real electrical supplier for them.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

Chris Lewis wrote:
According to Percival P. Cassidy :

The cable (round with a black covering) that feeds our electric range
has no markings that I can make out, but the breaker is a dual 40A, so I
guess the cable must be 8-3 (or bigger) + ground.

What is the approved means of securing this where it runs across the
joists? At present it has nails hammered in on each side and bent toward
each other forming a "two-part staple"! I am sure that this cannot be
kosher, but I can't find anything that is marked as being for cables
this large.

It's not kosher, but not that unusual I suppose.

Staples for wire this large are available, but you may have
to go to a real electrical supplier for them.

should be able to get the hammer in type of staples I would think.
where its a plastic bar with a nail on each end.

--
Respectfully,

CL Gilbert
zxcvbob

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

The cable (round with a black covering) that feeds our electric range
has no markings that I can make out, but the breaker is a dual 40A, so I
guess the cable must be 8-3 (or bigger) + ground.

What is the approved means of securing this where it runs across the
joists? At present it has nails hammered in on each side and bent toward
each other forming a "two-part staple"! I am sure that this cannot be
kosher, but I can't find anything that is marked as being for cables
this large.

What should I be looking for?

Perce

Plastic plumbing strap and appropriately sized nails works pretty good.
Also, hangers for 1/2" plastic pipe or conduit might work (especially
the ones for CPVC cuz they should be about the right size)

Bob
Percival P. Cassidy

On 08/09/05 04:33 pm CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert tossed the following
ingredients into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

The cable (round with a black covering) that feeds our electric range
has no markings that I can make out, but the breaker is a dual 40A,
so I guess the cable must be 8-3 (or bigger) + ground.

What is the approved means of securing this where it runs across the
joists? At present it has nails hammered in on each side and bent
toward each other forming a "two-part staple"! I am sure that this
cannot be kosher, but I can't find anything that is marked as being
for cables this large.

It's not kosher, but not that unusual I suppose.

Staples for wire this large are available, but you may have
to go to a real electrical supplier for them.

should be able to get the hammer in type of staples I would think. where
its a plastic bar with a nail on each end.

I thought those were only for flat cable, not for the round cable we
have. The plastic staples I've seen aren't deep enough for our cable.

Perce

zxcvbob

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

[...]

Look for the appropriate sized service entrance cable (SER) staples.

Bob
Pop

I found staples for round wires that large at Agway, a
farm parts store. Perhaps same in your area.
I moved such a cable in my basement; a feed to
another panel - and the inspector just glanced and
nodded as he walked along it, tracing it. He also had
no comments on the nails inthe first ten feet, which I
didn't have to move, but he inspected the bends quite
carefully.
I wouldn't use flat staples for a round wire - too
many pressure point damage possibilties.
Someone mentioned PVC hangars; I thought that was
good, too, actually, if they really can be made to fit.
I've used them for just about everything else g.

HTH,

Pop

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in
message ...
The cable (round with a black covering) that feeds
our electric range has no markings that I can make
out, but the breaker is a dual 40A, so I guess the
cable must be 8-3 (or bigger) + ground.

What is the approved means of securing this where it
runs across the joists? At present it has nails
hammered in on each side and bent toward each other
forming a "two-part staple"! I am sure that this
cannot be kosher, but I can't find anything that is
marked as being for cables this large.

What should I be looking for?

Perce

SteveF

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in message
The cable (round with a black covering) that feeds our electric range has
no markings that I can make out, but the breaker is a dual 40A, so I guess
the cable must be 8-3 (or bigger) + ground.

What is the approved means of securing this where it runs across the
joists? At present it has nails hammered in on each side and bent toward
each other forming a "two-part staple"! I am sure that this cannot be
kosher, but I can't find anything that is marked as being for cables this
large.

What should I be looking for?

Perce

Personally, I'd knock in a metal staple of whatever size I had handy above
the cable and then attach the cable to the staple with a plastic wire tie.

Steve.

Stormin Mormon

Home Cheepo has plumbing hangers. Bought some today. Measure the diameter of
the wire, go buy some clamps and some drywall screws or something.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

The cable (round with a black covering) that feeds our electric range
has no markings that I can make out, but the breaker is a dual 40A, so I
guess the cable must be 8-3 (or bigger) + ground.

What is the approved means of securing this where it runs across the
joists? At present it has nails hammered in on each side and bent toward
each other forming a "two-part staple"! I am sure that this cannot be
kosher, but I can't find anything that is marked as being for cables
this large.

What should I be looking for?

Perce

Plastic plumbing strap and appropriately sized nails works pretty good.
Also, hangers for 1/2" plastic pipe or conduit might work (especially
the ones for CPVC cuz they should be about the right size)

Bob

pat

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 18:49:16 -0400, SteveF wrote:

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in message
The cable (round with a black covering) that feeds our electric range
has
no markings that I can make out, but the breaker is a dual 40A, so I
guess
the cable must be 8-3 (or bigger) + ground.

What is the approved means of securing this where it runs across the
joists? At present it has nails hammered in on each side and bent toward
each other forming a "two-part staple"! I am sure that this cannot be
kosher, but I can't find anything that is marked as being for cables
this
large.

What should I be looking for?

There are galvanized metal straps that take a nail in each end, go out
side and look at the straps on your service entrance cable, they make
small straps just like those buy at whole sale elect., or a hardware
store.... ;-)

Perce

Personally, I'd knock in a metal staple of whatever size I had handy
above
the cable and then attach the cable to the staple with a plastic wire
tie.

Steve.

6mmsq electrical cable rating jim_in_sussex UK diy 2 August 27th 04 10:35 AM
slightly OT NTL/Telewest cable descrambler ntldescrambler UK diy 10 August 26th 04 03:25 PM
Electrical cable - how cold? Anna Kettle UK diy 6 August 22nd 04 07:39 AM
Car aerial cable ARWadsworth UK diy 18 February 25th 04 04:12 PM
Shower electrical cable Jeff UK diy 1 August 13th 03 04:44 PM