pat

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 18:49:16 -0400, SteveF wrote:

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in message
The cable (round with a black covering) that feeds our electric range
has
no markings that I can make out, but the breaker is a dual 40A, so I
guess
the cable must be 8-3 (or bigger) + ground.

What is the approved means of securing this where it runs across the
joists? At present it has nails hammered in on each side and bent toward
each other forming a "two-part staple"! I am sure that this cannot be
kosher, but I can't find anything that is marked as being for cables
this
large.

What should I be looking for?

There are galvanized metal straps that take a nail in each end, go out
side and look at the straps on your service entrance cable, they make
small straps just like those buy at whole sale elect., or a hardware
store.... ;-)

Perce

Personally, I'd knock in a metal staple of whatever size I had handy
above
the cable and then attach the cable to the staple with a plastic wire
tie.

Steve.