Dr Doom

Default Sears warranty repair morons at work

problem: lawn mower under warranty, throttle cable
retaining pin to handle snaps.

simple swap out of cable assembly 5 minute job.

sears response: you have to bring in the ENTIRE mower,
and we'll ship it out so they can swap
out the cable.

my response: listen to me, i'm trying to save you time &
money, just order the cable !

sears: sorry, can't do that, it would void the warranty.

so we escalate it to the "lead" , who says it's their "policy"
to send out all warranty repairs.

now this is a "parts & repair" store mind you (the one in
Lakewood, NJ - in case anyone wants to know).

the moron brigade is well represented at that store !

i'll just steel epoxy the cable myself and save the 3 weeks
it would take to ship out the mower, wait for mower, pick up
mower (all because of a simple cable that can be changed in 5
minutes), but since they can't think out of the box, i'll do
the job myself.

common sense among "customer service" nowadays is dead - but
i'm sure you all know that.

Travis Jordan

Dr Doom wrote:
common sense among "customer service" nowadays is dead - but
i'm sure you all know that.

My response would have been to return the mower to Sears, telling them
that you aren't satisfied with the reliablity of the product and their
service policies.

Ulysses

"Dr Doom" wrote in message

[...]

If Sears was the only place to buy anything I wouldn't buy anything.

wkearney99

so we escalate it to the "lead" , who says it's their "policy"
to send out all warranty repairs.

So escalate it to a regional supervisor or just buy a new cable. Your time
is doublessly worth more than what a cable would cost. But slapping some
sense into the regional manager would certainly be worth trying.

TURTLE

"Dr Doom" wrote in message

[...]

This is Turtle.

Sears and RoeBuck started as a Fur Trader company and went into the pots & wood
Stove business by mail order. Sears was a white fellow and RoeBuck was a black
fellow and never really got along with each other but the two put up with each
other because their business was working. Then in the last 30 or 40 years Sears
family bought out RoeBuck's family and the Sears family took over. I don't know
the story as to they being sold on the open stock market but they could have
been taken public. I could go look but just too lazy to look. Now to answer your
question.

Sears & RoeBuck was a mail order company and made good money because if you
ordered it. You had to send it back to have it repaired or replaced. If you had
a $5.00 wood burning stove and cracked the leg on it under warranty. You would
have to ship it back to them at a rate of 5 cent going and 5 cents coming back
to you. That was 10 cents it would cost you and most black smith could fix the
leg for less than 10 cents. Sears & RoeBuck hardly ever got a stove or item back
because of cost of shipping.

So now they are going back to that practice to not have to make repairs under
warranty but now it's not the 10 cent leg on a stove , but the pain in the ass
as to bring it in to be repair 50 cent clip on it. This works to make a bigger
bottom line but when it catch up with them. they will try something else.

TURTLE

Fred

"Dr Doom" wrote in message

[...]

Not only Sears but other companies are doing it too. One little part broke
and they wanted the whole thing send back instead the broken part as proof
at customer's expense. Often times the shipment is more than the original
equipment cost so off to the junk pile or fix it at customer's expense. So
many warranties are just worthless. At least Sears pay for the shipment.

Steve Richardson

"TURTLE" wrote in message
Sears and RoeBuck started as a Fur Trader company and went into the pots

& wood
Stove business by mail order. Sears was a white fellow and RoeBuck was a
black fellow and never really got along with each otherbut the two put up
with each

Richard Sears worked for a railroad before branching out into watches.
Alvah Roebuck (not black) was a watchmaker who entered into a partnership
with Sears. They diversified and created mail-order sales as -- well, I
started to say "as we know it today" but actually "as we knew it when I was
a boy in the 1950s" would be more like it. Anyway, sorry to nitpick but
Sears (and Allstate) paid for my college education so I thought the least I
could do would be to cast a little light on their history. Not that it
matters to the basic post, dealing with today's Sears and their service
policies...
- Steve Richardson
St Louis MO

Duane Bozarth

TURTLE wrote:

....a completely bogus fake history of Sears Roebuck...

Man, where do you come up w/ this stuff and why do you post when you
don't know a thing...a 2-second google would lead you to

http://www.sears.com/sr/misc/sears/a...vertical=SEARS

which chronicles that Sears was working as an agent for a midwestern
railroad and started out peddling watches to other station masters.
Hired a watchmaker by the name or Roebuck (w/ a nice handlebar mustache
and straight hair, btw) and they grew the business from there...
TURTLE

"Steve Richardson" wrote in message
"TURTLE" wrote in message
[...]

I read what you wrote but this was spoken to me by the old timers who ordered
from them in the late 1800 that was born and raised up . the word black was not
then what we call now. they used the word person of color which include all
races from Chinese to black. the old timers counld have had him wrong but this
is what they said.

Sears & RoeBuck was into the trading or buying of fur to be shipped to New
Orleans for clothes made by Sears & RoeBuck. My Grand Father was born back in
1880 and a few of his friend was born before that. His friends was into trapping
business which sold fur to the trading companys and they told of selling to
Sears & RoeBuck as good prices for their bear, coon, Alligators , mink, and Fox
Furs. this is where it come from me saying Sears & RoeBuck was in the fur
trading business then to all other things.

I looked up sears & RoeBuck and did read about the Watch and mail order
business. I sure didn't think it was that way with Sears & RoeBuck.

TURTLE

TURTLE

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message
TURTLE wrote:

...a completely bogus fake history of Sears Roebuck...

Man, where do you come up w/ this stuff and why do you post when you
don't know a thing...a 2-second google would lead you to

http://www.sears.com/sr/misc/sears/a...vertical=SEARS

which chronicles that Sears was working as an agent for a midwestern
railroad and started out peddling watches to other station masters.
Hired a watchmaker by the name or Roebuck (w/ a nice handlebar mustache
and straight hair, btw) and they grew the business from there...

This is Turtle

Some times History is what a company wants it to be by telling it their way ! Or
Can't be that away.

TURTLE

Stretch

I needed a new AC adapter for my Toshiba laptop (under warranty) The
warranty reps, none spoke decent english, sounded like they were from
India. They wanted me to ship my laptop bact to timbuc-too to have
them check the ac adapter. they would put a new one in the box and
ship it back to me. Turnaround of 2 - 3 weeks. The ac adapter plugs
into the laptop and outlet, not actually part of the computer. If they
just sent me one I could ship the bad one back. But no. they couldn't
do that. So I bought a new ac adapter for 99 dollars, rather than give
up my computer for 3 weeks. Next time I buy the Dell.

Stretch

Duane Bozarth

TURTLE wrote:

...a completely bogus fake history of Sears Roebuck...

Man, where do you come up w/ this stuff and why do you post when you
don't know a thing...a 2-second google would lead you to

http://www.sears.com/sr/misc/sears/a...vertical=SEARS

which chronicles that Sears was working as an agent for a midwestern
railroad and started out peddling watches to other station masters.
Hired a watchmaker by the name or Roebuck (w/ a nice handlebar mustache
and straight hair, btw) and they grew the business from there...

This is Turtle

Some times History is what a company wants it to be by telling it their way ! Or
Can't be that away.

Well, can you substantiate your bs?
TURTLE

TURTLE wrote:

...a completely bogus fake history of Sears Roebuck...

Man, where do you come up w/ this stuff and why do you post when you
don't know a thing...a 2-second google would lead you to

http://www.sears.com/sr/misc/sears/a...vertical=SEARS

which chronicles that Sears was working as an agent for a midwestern
railroad and started out peddling watches to other station masters.
Hired a watchmaker by the name or Roebuck (w/ a nice handlebar mustache
and straight hair, btw) and they grew the business from there...

This is Turtle

Some times History is what a company wants it to be by telling it their way !
Or
Can't be that away.

Well, can you substantiate your bs?

This is Turtle.

Well can you substantiate that everything you read on the internet is true ?

TURTLE

Duane Bozarth

TURTLE wrote:
Well can you substantiate that everything you read on the internet is true ?

No, obviously. But I can at least corroborate the basics of the
establisment of Sears/Roebuck w/ past knowledge obtained from
grandparents who were around at the time amongst other ways.

There's no indication that virtually any of the "history" you posted had
any basis in fact.
George E. Cawthon

Duane Bozarth wrote:
TURTLE wrote:

Well can you substantiate that everything you read on the internet is true ?

No, obviously. But I can at least corroborate the basics of the
establisment of Sears/Roebuck w/ past knowledge obtained from
grandparents who were around at the time amongst other ways.

There's no indication that virtually any of the "history" you posted had
any basis in fact.

I doubt you can corroborate anything from your
grandparents. Old enough to know anything in 1990
would mean being born in 1880 or earlier so they
would be at least 125 years old? Hard to
corroborate anything from dead people. My father
worked for Sears for a while in the 20's or 30's,
and can't corroborate anything either. I can
remember stuff he told, but that isn't
corroboration since corroborate means to confirm
and that means question and answer. My father
isn't answering anything and neither are your
grandparents if they were around at the time Sears
was established.

Oral histories are notoriously inaccurate. So you
generally need oral histories from from a lot of
unrelated people to get anything that approaches
accurate. Just look at Turtles interpretation of
the history of Sears. His family probably all
repeats the same distorted view. You listen to an
often repeated message when you are young and it
is very hard to break from that when you are
mature, even if the message is internally
inconsistent with what you know.

As for the Sears site, publishing lies about the
history of the store, which can easily be check by
a historian examining newspaper clippings and
other data, would be remarkably stupid. There
would be no upside, only downside. Besides Sears
has a right to be proud of its early retail history.

Duane Bozarth

"George E. Cawthon" wrote:

Duane Bozarth wrote:
TURTLE wrote:

Well can you substantiate that everything you read on the internet is true ?

No, obviously. But I can at least corroborate the basics of the
establisment of Sears/Roebuck w/ past knowledge obtained from
grandparents who were around at the time amongst other ways.

There's no indication that virtually any of the "history" you posted had
any basis in fact.

I doubt you can corroborate anything from your
grandparents. Old enough to know anything in 1990
would mean being born in 1880 or earlier so they
would be at least 125 years old? ...

I didn't say they were currently living, did I? In fact, I
specifically said "w/ past knowledge". I was 12 when my grandfather
passed away at a reasonably ripe old age in 1957. A calculation from
there would show him to have easily been cognizant of the time period.

It just so happens that my grandfather as a young man also worked for a
railroad and used watches (and in fact, we have two still--one works and
keeps nearly perfect time to this day, the other was damaged in an
accident) similar to those initial ones which he purchased through
Sears. Being as he was interested, he did have specific knowledge of
the past history which I am confident is much more nearly accurate than
that TURTLE posted which was just blantantly wrong in gross areas, not
just detail.

He was mixing in stuff from things like the Hudson Bay Co and all that
sort of lore which I just knew was not correct. It would, as you note,
certainly not take too much effort to disprove any major facets of the
history as posted by Sears.
Stormin Mormon

I'll add a bit more. someone else add some, and we'll see where it goes.
Last man with a marshmallow gets to put out the fire.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"TURTLE" wrote in message
Sears and RoeBuck started as a Fur Trader company and went into the pots

& wood
Stove business by mail order. Sears was a white fellow and RoeBuck was a
black fellow and never really got along with each otherbut the two put up
with each

Anyhow, they were making good enough money after awhile, that they managed
to get their offices separated. Their beginning was in Chicago, which made
sense. Everything that went by rail to the west went through Chicago.

Sears was a hard drinker for many years, until he met the Mormon
missionaries. He went to church for awhile, and managed to give up drinking
and the big cigars he loved so much. However, he was always unable to
control his crude language. Roebuck was a Deacon in the Southern Baptists,
and served with honor. He never did want to go back down south, figured he'd
learned enough of the northern ways he'd be sure to be lynched.

There was a big board meeting one year, and they were trying to get some
ideas about publishing a catalog. Roebuck figured that folks would keep the
catalogs for many years (his parents had a 50 year old Tranquill and Muff
catlog of fine suits and church shoes to make any Southern Baptist jealous).
Sears figured that the catalogs would be changed every few years, so why
bother to use the finest paper. Sears adressed the board meeting and
declared as senior member of the board that the company would use "****
paper for the catalog". Being fairly literal minded, the board proceeded to
do just that. And so the catalogs developed a somewhat unexpected use.

As the company branched out, Mr. Roebuck got tired of being called "that old
buck", as buck is an impolite name for a colored man. So, he left the
company and went out on his own. Mr. Roebuck died a poor man, in an old age
home in a small town.

Stormin Mormon

Now, that's just not polite. I know what it's like to be called "don't know
anything" and it isn't pretty.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

TURTLE wrote:

....a completely bogus fake history of Sears Roebuck...

Man, where do you come up w/ this stuff and why do you post when you
don't know a thing...

Stormin Mormon

Sears? The Dell with them.

(I've got a friend who really likes Toshiba, but I couldn't make that into a
joke). Egyptian computer -- give computer toshiba? Dark in here, I need a
light toshiba?

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Stretch" wrote in message
oups.com...
I needed a new AC adapter for my Toshiba laptop (under warranty) The
warranty reps, none spoke decent english, sounded like they were from
India. They wanted me to ship my laptop bact to timbuc-too to have
them check the ac adapter. they would put a new one in the box and
ship it back to me. Turnaround of 2 - 3 weeks. The ac adapter plugs
into the laptop and outlet, not actually part of the computer. If they
just sent me one I could ship the bad one back. But no. they couldn't
do that. So I bought a new ac adapter for 99 dollars, rather than give
up my computer for 3 weeks. Next time I buy the Dell.

Stretch

Scott Willing

On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 11:58:00 -0400, "Dr Doom"
wrote:

[...]

At least they're not sending them out to India yet (where apparently
some of their call centres are). Actually I bought an extended
warranty from a lovely Indian lady one evening and it ended up working
out really well.

Only because the local service centre really is local though. Who'd
have thought being out in the boonies could actually be an advantage?

-=s

TURTLE

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message
Duane Bozarth wrote:
TURTLE wrote:

[...]

A lie is a Proven fact with facts in history which will comfirm your words. In
the late 1800's nobody knew Sears or RoeBuck from Tom Dick or harry. My Grand
Fathers Buddies [ one being Emile Skinner ] Sold Furs to a Fur Trader that was
hired by Sears & RoeBuck and the sold furs to them in New Orleans in the Late
1800's. They would trap for 3 months at a time and then fill up a wagon with
furs and go to New Orleans to sell the to the Sears & RoeBuck Fur trader. They
would get $90.00+ for big wagon load of mink, coon, fox, and White Wolf skins.
The wagon they filled would be about the size of a 16 foot tadon trailor now
days for hauling cars and trucks on. They were fur wagons and were real big to
haul them a long ways.

Yes Sears & RoeBuck bought the skins and loaded them on a train heading north to
be processed. then by 1900 Sears & RoeBuck did not buy anymore and they told the
fur trappers that they were going into other things that made more money. So i'm
speaking about what sears & RoeBuck told the People down here in Louisiana in
1900 as to what they was a doing and as to if they lied to these people. Well so
be it and I could care less.

Also another note here. Sears and other did not do well in Louisiana for people
here could go to New Orleans and get most anything they wanted off the ships
from all over. If you wanted a wood stove. You and a buddy got on a wagon and
made a 4 day trip to get one. If anybody else wanted something else. They would
give them a dollar or so to bring back them some item they wanted. Sears &
RoeBuck Did not have a chance. Now I was told that states without Sea Port on
them. Sears & RoeBuck Did good in them. Back then a 2 hole Cook Stove was about
$5.00 to $6.00 in New Orleans but by mail order it was also $10.00. The only
thing a family would order would be a Stove and some fancy cloths. You bought
everything else locally from the area smiths.

I'm not disrespecting Sears & RoeBuck at all but telling what was told to me by
the people at the time that dealt with sears & RoeBuck at the time about 1900. I
am sure proud of Sears & RoeBuck and what ever is said about them seem very good
to me. Now just the Sears of today i have a different opinion of them as dealing
with them.

TURTLE

TURTLE

"George E. Cawthon" wrote:

?

[...]

I don't Read a Excellant review of the history of a company but i listen to the
old timers who dealt with Sears & RoeBuck in 1900. Weither they were lied to,
You was Lied to, or everybody was lied to. I really don't care but I stated what
was told to me by the people in 1900 that dealt with them on furs. These people
probley never knew of anything else the Sears & RoeBuck was doing but just see
what Sears & roebuck was doing at their part of the country. they said Sears &
RoeBuck was Buying Fur before 1900 and then stopped buying furs on the year
1900. After 1900 I , they have no ideal as to what Sears & RoeBuck did after
that time.

Also when you say Blantantly Wrong about some company doing something. You need
to find out what Sears & RoeBuck was buying furs in 1880 to 1900 and for what
reason before assume you know it all. They were buying fur but we don't know
why.

TURTLE

George E. Cawthon

Duane Bozarth wrote:
"George E. Cawthon" wrote:

Duane Bozarth wrote:

TURTLE wrote:

[...]

Well, I do miss somethings. You may have taken my
comment on oral histories too personally. My
criticism of oral histories is general, not
specific as I certainly didn't mean to cast
aspersions on your GF. Any single oral history
may be absolutely accurate, I know a lot of stuff
my dad told me was, but I know that not because he
told me, but because other sources confirmed it.
Steve Richardson

You left out the part where Roebuck was taken to the dark side of the moon
by space aliens and anally implanted with their eggs before being returned
to Earth, which is why he died broke. He spent all his money on his 37,000
kids!

"TURTLE" wrote in message
[...]

CathyLee

The bump cap came off my weed wacker somewhere and I called to order a
part...sears said it was still under warranty to take it to the store.

I told them I needed the bottom cap but they said I had to send it all
away.

They called a few days later to say it wasn't under warranty and it
would cost 85 dollars to fix a 100$ weed wacker.????

I told them anything that cost 85 to fix should under warranty...so
don't fix send it back that was 2 weeks ago and I called and they don't
know where it is?

That's my sears story
CathyLee

wrote:

[...]

George

Stretch wrote:
I needed a new AC adapter for my Toshiba laptop (under warranty) The
warranty reps, none spoke decent english, sounded like they were from
India. They wanted me to ship my laptop bact to timbuc-too to have
them check the ac adapter. they would put a new one in the box and
ship it back to me. Turnaround of 2 - 3 weeks. The ac adapter plugs
into the laptop and outlet, not actually part of the computer. If they
just sent me one I could ship the bad one back. But no. they couldn't
do that. So I bought a new ac adapter for 99 dollars, rather than give
up my computer for 3 weeks. Next time I buy the Dell.

Stretch

And you will find exactly the same thing. This is what happens when
price becomes the most important thing. There isn't enough margin to
provide real service so that is why you get Mujibar when you call and
get forced into all sorts of tedious procedures designed to lower their
cost.
Duane Bozarth

George wrote:

Stretch wrote:

... So I bought a new ac adapter for 99 dollars, rather than give
up my computer for 3 weeks. Next time I buy the Dell.

Stretch

And you will find exactly the same thing. This is what happens when
price becomes the most important thing. There isn't enough margin to
provide real service so that is why you get Mujibar when you call and
get forced into all sorts of tedious procedures designed to lower their
cost.

And they appear to have succeeded...
Vic Dura

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 07:31:08 -0500, "Steve Richardson"
wrote:

You left out the part where Roebuck was taken to the dark side of the moon
by space aliens and anally implanted with their eggs before being returned
to Earth,

That was Tom Cruise.
--
To email me directly, remove CLUTTER.