TURTLE

"Steve Richardson" wrote in message
"TURTLE" wrote in message
Sears and RoeBuck started as a Fur Trader company and went into the pots

& wood
Stove business by mail order. Sears was a white fellow and RoeBuck was a
black fellow and never really got along with each otherbut the two put up
with each

Richard Sears worked for a railroad before branching out into watches. Alvah
Roebuck (not black) was a watchmaker who entered into a partnership with
Sears. They diversified and created mail-order sales as -- well, I started to
say "as we know it today" but actually "as we knew it when I was a boy in the
1950s" would be more like it. Anyway, sorry to nitpick but Sears (and
Allstate) paid for my college education so I thought the least I could do
would be to cast a little light on their history. Not that it matters to the
basic post, dealing with today's Sears and their service policies...
- Steve Richardson
St Louis MO

This is Turtle.

I read what you wrote but this was spoken to me by the old timers who ordered
from them in the late 1800 that was born and raised up . the word black was not
then what we call now. they used the word person of color which include all
races from Chinese to black. the old timers counld have had him wrong but this
is what they said.

Sears & RoeBuck was into the trading or buying of fur to be shipped to New
Orleans for clothes made by Sears & RoeBuck. My Grand Father was born back in
1880 and a few of his friend was born before that. His friends was into trapping
business which sold fur to the trading companys and they told of selling to
Sears & RoeBuck as good prices for their bear, coon, Alligators , mink, and Fox
Furs. this is where it come from me saying Sears & RoeBuck was in the fur
trading business then to all other things.

I looked up sears & RoeBuck and did read about the Watch and mail order
business. I sure didn't think it was that way with Sears & RoeBuck.

TURTLE