CWLee

Default Hot Tar/Gravel Alternative For Low Slope Roofs?

I realize this may vary by jurisdiction. Are there any
generally acceptable ways to cover a low slope (say 1 in 15)
roof other than the traditional hot tar and gravel? I ask
because one local building inspector says there are none,
yet several licensed roofers claim their methods (tar paper
covered by a rubber-like layer about .25" thick, bonded to a
black gooey substance, applied like paste, with a portable
gas heater) do meet local building codes.

--
----------
CWLee

Edwin Pawlowski

"CWLee" wrote in message

I realize this may vary by jurisdiction. Are there any
generally acceptable ways to cover a low slope (say 1 in 15)
roof other than the traditional hot tar and gravel? I ask
because one local building inspector says there are none,
yet several licensed roofers claim their methods (tar paper
covered by a rubber-like layer about .25" thick, bonded to a
black gooey substance, applied like paste, with a portable
gas heater) do meet local building codes.

Yes, we just has it done at work. I don't have the details here, but can get
them next week. It was laid on hot tar and looks good and seems to work
well.

Roger Taylor

"CWLee" wrote in message

I realize this may vary by jurisdiction. Are there any
generally acceptable ways to cover a low slope (say 1 in 15)
roof other than the traditional hot tar and gravel? I ask
because one local building inspector says there are none,
yet several licensed roofers claim their methods (tar paper
covered by a rubber-like layer about .25" thick, bonded to a
black gooey substance, applied like paste, with a portable
gas heater) do meet local building codes.

The answer is yes, but we didnt use the rubber approach - just standard hot
tar cemented roofing.We have a 1 7/8 inch per foot of pitch, too low for
shingles. 8 years ago we had a five layer system put on, of high quality.
First some kind lapped fiberglass blanket, then three plys of mineral felt,
each applied with full coverage hot tar, followed by a mineral-surfaced
colored capsheet, also hot-tarred to the underlying 3-ply felt. Highly
walkable, waterproof, and not as unsightly as some tar and gravel roofs,
which do not take foot traffic as well.

TURTLE

"CWLee" wrote in message

I realize this may vary by jurisdiction. Are there any
generally acceptable ways to cover a low slope (say 1 in 15)
roof other than the traditional hot tar and gravel? I ask
because one local building inspector says there are none,
yet several licensed roofers claim their methods (tar paper
covered by a rubber-like layer about .25" thick, bonded to a
black gooey substance, applied like paste, with a portable
gas heater) do meet local building codes.

--
----------
CWLee
Former slayer of dragons; practice now limited to sacred
cows. Believing we should hire for quality, not quotas, and
promote for performance, not preferences.

This is Turtle.

Yes, i do know about the New Coating tar roofing material is all about and
called Roll Roofing.

There is two types of what you are speaking of here and is called Roll Roofing .

first the type that your speaking of is the poor version but still holds up for
maybe 10 years or so. It is a material that is tared together with tar at each
seam to connect the 42" X 50' rolls. The Tar is applied to connect the seams and
is the very poor version of the stuff. In 10 years or so you will be re taring
the seams over again when they bust. There is NO torch needed to put the Tar
type roll roofing down but just the bucket of tar and broom. this method is just
about the same as rocks and tar roofs and could be a little less effective or
duriable.

Second version is the Burn on Roll roofing and one brand name in this material
is Brier Roll Roofing. this Burn on roll roofing is laid down and the seams are
burned and melted together at all the seams. this stuff will bond the seams
forever. It comes with a 50 year warranty for it breaking down. this would be
the only stuff to use for when you put it down right, it there for ever. I have
it on my carport put down in 1983 and still holding up good. I have had only 2
leaks and both were cause by tree limbs poking holes in it and i just got some
more burn roll roofing and patched it by burning a patch to cover the hole.

What you have described here is the cheap version and not all that good if you
have the seams connected by tar, use a asphalt tape, and not just burnt
together. If you don't BURN the connection of the seams together and don't apply
nothing at the seams but burning the seams. You don't have the good stuff. The
Good stuff only has to be burned together and nothing else. There is bunches of
want a bees to Brier Roll Roofing and if you don't get the burn on , just forget
it.

TURTLE

tom

CWLee wrote: I realize this may vary by jurisdiction. Are there any
generally acceptable ways to cover a low slope (say 1 in 15)
roof other than the traditional hot tar and gravel? I ask
because one local building inspector says there are none,
yet several licensed roofers claim their methods (tar paper
covered by a rubber-like layer about .25" thick, bonded to a
black gooey substance, applied like paste, with a portable
gas heater) do meet local building codes

Well, most low pitch roofing materials are just
glorified tar. Read: "bitumin". The torch-down does a nice job, just a
little scary in tight places! It's applied over a fibreglass membrane
that's nailed very securely to the decking with cap nails. You have
another alternative in the "peel and stick" type membranes. Much
thinner(and cheaper) than torch-down, comes aluminized, black or white.
Maybe even tan. You must coat these(unless they're mineralized or
aluminized), with some type of sealant to increase their lifespan.
There's also "rubberoid", or EPDM, that's applied with a type of rubber
cement. Don't inhale too much while applying. This stuff can come in
really big sheets, making for quick work. Oh, I almost forgot about
flat seamed copper! Nice.....Tom

single ply roof brought up a number of manufactureres.
There are lots of variations: mechanical fastened, glue down, torched.

Check with local building official for code requirements, then aske
manufacturere or contractor for system that meets those requirements.

TB

Septic tank - low flow toilets Graham Harrison UK diy 9 December 6th 04 12:06 AM
TRVs, flow switches and boiler cycling Mike Clarke UK diy 18 November 8th 04 05:00 PM
CH - alpha pumps FrancisJK UK diy 45 September 23rd 04 08:06 PM
Water flow rate problem and Combi boiler Andrew Beck UK diy 15 September 3rd 04 11:00 PM
slope ceiling vs raised c barry martin Home Repair 1 November 20th 03 10:20 PM