Roger Taylor

"CWLee" wrote in message

I realize this may vary by jurisdiction. Are there any
generally acceptable ways to cover a low slope (say 1 in 15)
roof other than the traditional hot tar and gravel? I ask
because one local building inspector says there are none,
yet several licensed roofers claim their methods (tar paper
covered by a rubber-like layer about .25" thick, bonded to a
black gooey substance, applied like paste, with a portable
gas heater) do meet local building codes.

The answer is yes, but we didnt use the rubber approach - just standard hot
tar cemented roofing.We have a 1 7/8 inch per foot of pitch, too low for
shingles. 8 years ago we had a five layer system put on, of high quality.
First some kind lapped fiberglass blanket, then three plys of mineral felt,
each applied with full coverage hot tar, followed by a mineral-surfaced
colored capsheet, also hot-tarred to the underlying 3-ply felt. Highly
walkable, waterproof, and not as unsightly as some tar and gravel roofs,
which do not take foot traffic as well.