Graham Harrison

Default Septic tank - low flow toilets

Continuing from the previous thread, I think I'll have to replace at least
one of the toilet. Since I have a septic tank the idea of reducing the
amount of water used seems sensible. Quite apart from my two US books the
term "low flow toilets" is one that comes to mind. Now, I'm aware of the
dual flush idea but low flow implies reduced water use in all cases.

Googling for the term "low flow toilet" has bought up a small number of
references (amongst lots of references to toilets in general and low flow
shower heads) but nothing specific in terms of products, yet.

Am I just looking for a dual flow toilet? If low flow is a separate type
of toilet where do I find one? Can anybody point me at a website or a
supplier in West London, Berkshire, South Bucks, North Hants, Wiltshire or
Somerset?

John Rumm

Graham Harrison wrote:

Googling for the term "low flow toilet" has bought up a small number of
references (amongst lots of references to toilets in general and low flow
shower heads) but nothing specific in terms of products, yet.

Pretty much any new toilet / cistern combination will be "low flow"
compared to older ones. Some are also dual flush - so you have a choice
of "inadequate" and "hopelessly inadequate". ;-|

--
Cheers,

John.

Peter Stockdale

"Huge" wrote in message
"
Don't bother. My parents (in the USA) had to have one fitted by law when
they
had a toilet replaced recently. It's possible to block it with toilet
paper alone, and it achieves the opposite of that intended, in that if
you do #2's in it, you have to flush 2 or 3 times to make sure it goes
away. Absolutely useless.

--

Perhaps the compromise style is best. For 1s etc, quick push on handle -
half the cistern empties, for 2s etc - hold handle down - whole cistern

Pete

Capitol

Huge wrote:
.. It's possible to block it with toilet
paper alone, and it achieves the opposite of that intended, in that if
you do #2's in it, you have to flush 2 or 3 times to make sure it goes
away. Absolutely useless.

Hence the favourite US version of a dinner conversation "toilets I have
blocked"! and the proliferation of toilet plungers available in every US
hardware store. My daughter described the system to one of her
embarrassed UK guests as:- "Dump, flush, wipe, flush, wipe, flush, wipe,
flush, wipe, flush" etc! Fortunately their filling systems are very
fast, or you could miss an entire round of drinks! It's real fun however
when the incoming water gets to within 1/2 an inch of the edge of the
bowl before the bowl empties.

Regards
Capitol
Gel

I have such cisterns, and they were on offer about 18 years ago, but
subsequently dropped to my knowledge.
Short flush for No 1's
Full for No 2's!!

However it seems many assumed short flush was malfunction, and pressed
again &
got full flush; so instead of saving water on No 1's, they ended up
using more.

"Graham Harrison" wrote in message ...
Continuing from the previous thread, I think I'll have to replace at least
one of the toilet. Since I have a septic tank the idea of reducing the
amount of water used seems sensible. Quite apart from my two US books the
term "low flow toilets" is one that comes to mind. Now, I'm aware of the
dual flush idea but low flow implies reduced water use in all cases.

Googling for the term "low flow toilet" has bought up a small number of
references (amongst lots of references to toilets in general and low flow
shower heads) but nothing specific in terms of products, yet.

Am I just looking for a dual flow toilet? If low flow is a separate type
of toilet where do I find one? Can anybody point me at a website or a
supplier in West London, Berkshire, South Bucks, North Hants, Wiltshire or
Somerset?

Gordon Henderson

In article ,
Peter Stockdale wrote:

Perhaps the compromise style is best. For 1s etc, quick push on handle -
half the cistern empties, for 2s etc - hold handle down - whole cistern
empties.

I've recently installed a low-volume close-coupled cisterm system
thingy... It's backwards - in that you have to push the button on the
top and keep it pushed for a short flush, or push and release for a
long flush!

I have to say, I was a little concerned that it'd be able to cope being
almost half the volume of the old one, but the close coupling obviously
lets the water get through much faster which compensates...

It's just a hassle you have to keep your finger on the button for a short
flush...

Gordon
Peter Stockdale

"Gordon Henderson" wrote in message

I've recently installed a low-volume close-coupled cisterm system
thingy... It's backwards - in that you have to push the button on the
top and keep it pushed for a short flush, or push and release for a
long flush!

I have to say, I was a little concerned that it'd be able to cope being
almost half the volume of the old one, but the close coupling obviously
lets the water get through much faster which compensates...

It's just a hassle you have to keep your finger on the button for a short
flush...

Gordon

Basically a similar selective flow system. British Standards have clearly
got some thing to get their teeth in to !!
OK for the family of the house that's in the know but two rival systems
baffling for visitors!!!

Pete

Mike

"Graham Harrison" wrote in message
Continuing from the previous thread, I think I'll have to replace at least
one of the toilet. Since I have a septic tank the idea of reducing the
amount of water used seems sensible.

Why ? Septic tanks rely on a reasonable amount of water flow. Also they
are often installed on quite a low gradient and so you need all the water
you can get to move the other stuff to where it belongs.

Dave Liquorice

On 28 Nov 2004 17:22:55 GMT, Huge wrote:

It's possible to block it with toilet paper alone, and it achieves
the opposite of that intended, in that if you do #2's in it, you
have to flush 2 or 3 times to make sure it goes away. Absolutely
useless.

I've just spent 4 days in a brand new hospital, nice loos, no rim to
hide germs under, not a very effective flush though and no dual action
that I could detect.

Now bearing in mind I was on IV antibiotics and the effect that
antibiotics have on ones gut a single flush would rarely clear all the
paper and nearly always left coloured water... Oh and invariably water
splashed out of the bowl onto the floor during the flush, very
hygienic. Still they did come round an wet mop the room floor and
seperately wet mop the bathroom floor every day.

I'm still on 4 times the normal dose of broad spectrum antibiotics and
we have a septic tank, the thought had crossed my mind on any possible
effects but I figured that they will have been metabolised and
rendered harmless by the time they leave my body.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Mike

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.com...
[...]

Nope - most rivers are an excellent source of antibiotic resistant
organisms.

So don't fall in !!!

Septic Tank query Blair Malcolm UK diy 9 November 26th 04 09:11 PM
water over septic tank weeG Home Repair 12 June 27th 04 08:55 PM
Help sizing a pressure tank Ed in Florida Home Repair 8 April 8th 04 12:12 AM