CWLee

Default Hot Tar/Gravel Alternative For Low Slope Roofs?

I realize this may vary by jurisdiction. Are there any
generally acceptable ways to cover a low slope (say 1 in 15)
roof other than the traditional hot tar and gravel? I ask
because one local building inspector says there are none,
yet several licensed roofers claim their methods (tar paper
covered by a rubber-like layer about .25" thick, bonded to a
black gooey substance, applied like paste, with a portable
gas heater) do meet local building codes.

--
CWLee