tom

CWLee wrote: I realize this may vary by jurisdiction. Are there any
generally acceptable ways to cover a low slope (say 1 in 15)
roof other than the traditional hot tar and gravel? I ask
because one local building inspector says there are none,
yet several licensed roofers claim their methods (tar paper
covered by a rubber-like layer about .25" thick, bonded to a
black gooey substance, applied like paste, with a portable
gas heater) do meet local building codes

Well, most low pitch roofing materials are just
glorified tar. Read: "bitumin". The torch-down does a nice job, just a
little scary in tight places! It's applied over a fibreglass membrane
that's nailed very securely to the decking with cap nails. You have
another alternative in the "peel and stick" type membranes. Much
thinner(and cheaper) than torch-down, comes aluminized, black or white.
Maybe even tan. You must coat these(unless they're mineralized or
aluminized), with some type of sealant to increase their lifespan.
There's also "rubberoid", or EPDM, that's applied with a type of rubber
cement. Don't inhale too much while applying. This stuff can come in
really big sheets, making for quick work. Oh, I almost forgot about
flat seamed copper! Nice.....Tom