The Sanity Inspector

Default Recommend a good greater Atlanta A/C repair company?

My AC has a clogged pipe or some such, and is leaking all over the
basement--which is unfurnished, thank goodness. Email welcome, watch
the spam trap.

--
bruce
The dignified don't even enter in the game.

SQLit

"The Sanity Inspector" wrote in message
ups.com...
My AC has a clogged pipe or some such, and is leaking all over the
basement--which is unfurnished, thank goodness. Email welcome, watch
the spam trap.

--
bruce
The dignified don't even enter in the game.
-- The Jam

Sounds like the condensate drain is clogged.
Try your shop vacuum on blow first. Neck the hose down and see if you can
blow/suck out the obstruction. Turn the ac off at the panel first. Might
save ya a service call

Edwin Pawlowski

"The Sanity Inspector" wrote in message
ups.com...
My AC has a clogged pipe or some such, and is leaking all over the
basement--which is unfurnished, thank goodness. Email welcome, watch
the spam trap.

--
bruce

Fix it yourself and save a bunch of money. This is not a technical AC
problem, it is a clogged drain on the pan under the coil Run a wire down it
to clear it out, flush well with water, take your wife to dinner with the
$$$ you saved.

You may want to empty the pan first to find it. Use a wet/dry shop vac or a
bucket and sponge. Check the outlet as it may be a glop of stuff there
that is easily removed. .
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

KenStahl

The Sanity Inspector wrote:

My AC has a clogged pipe or some such, and is leaking all over the
basement--which is unfurnished, thank goodness. Email welcome, watch
the spam trap.

--
bruce
The dignified don't even enter in the game.
-- The Jam

What I have heard is that the solution for that type of
problem is a high-pressure air blast through the drain pipe.
I would guess that any HVAC repair place would be able to
handle that type of thing.

Still, if you wait long enough perhaps you can heat the
water and turn your basement into a large jacuzzi. Just a
thought.

--
Blogging at http://HexagonalPeg.blogspot.com

Andy Walton

In article . com, The
Sanity Inspector wrote:

My AC has a clogged pipe or some such, and is leaking all over the
basement--which is unfurnished, thank goodness. Email welcome, watch
the spam trap.

Gack. Sounds like a clog somewhere in the condenser, which a little
drain cleaner or a swipe with a snake might help -- sorry, I have no
recs, as I still don't have central air.

--
"Five tacos, one taco burger. Do you know where the American Dream is?"
-- Hunter S. Thompson, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Dr. Hardcrab

"Andy Walton" wrote in message
In article . com, The
Sanity Inspector wrote:

My AC has a clogged pipe or some such, and is leaking all over the
basement--which is unfurnished, thank goodness. Email welcome, watch
the spam trap.

Gack. Sounds like a clog somewhere in the condenser, which a little
drain cleaner or a swipe with a snake might help -- sorry, I have no
recs, as I still don't have central air.

A clog in the condenser?

Craven Morehead

I've had great success using Estes Co. and horrible experience with R.S.
Andrews. However, the other "posters" are spot on. You can probably fix
this one by clearing the clog yourself.

"The Sanity Inspector" wrote in message
ups.com...
My AC has a clogged pipe or some such, and is leaking all over the
basement--which is unfurnished, thank goodness. Email welcome, watch
the spam trap.

--
bruce
The dignified don't even enter in the game.
-- The Jam

KenStahl

That's kornholer code.
Son of orca is suggesting
a probing might be in order.
Those liberal kornholers are clever.

Expert Witness

"Craven Morehead" wrote in message
I've had great success using Estes Co. and horrible experience with R.S.
Andrews. However, the other "posters" are spot on. You can probably fix
this one by clearing the clog yourself.

What happened with R.S. Andrews? I used them a few times and wasn't
especially happy with them either.

Every tech who comes out has his sales hat on-- always trying to upsell you
other services in your house. I had them out on an A/C problem and after the
tech was finished, he sat in his truck for 20 minutes preparing a detailed
written proposal to upgrade my electric wiring (not related to power for the
A/C). He tried to include that write-up time in his bill for the A/C repair.

I told him to stuff it and deduct that time from the bill-- which he
reluctantly did. He said they're required to propose other work. If he was
telling the truth, that's pretty crummy-- especially if they're billing
people for their marketing/write-up time!

Overall, I found their prices are generally on the high side too...

Andy Walton

Sanity Inspector wrote:

My AC has a clogged pipe or some such, and is leaking all over the
basement--which is unfurnished, thank goodness. Email welcome, watch
the spam trap.

Gack. Sounds like a clog somewhere in the condenser, which a little
drain cleaner or a swipe with a snake might help -- sorry, I have no
recs, as I still don't have central air.

A clog in the condenser?

More precisely, in the runoff from the condenser.

A condenser condenses. Otherwise, they'd call it something else.
Condensation is liquid water. The complaint was excessive liquid water
someplace where it isn't supposed to be, and there wasn't a complaint
of insufficient cooling, so my first-blush impression was that the
system designed to carry H2O(l) from where it isn't supposed to be to
where it is supposed to be is not functioning as intended. A clog is
the first thing to check, because it's the simplest to solve.

The condenser is usually indoors, because the role of air conditioning
is to remove both heat and humidity, and the condenser sucks H2O(g)
from the air and sends it out a pipe as H2O(l). A problem with the
blower wouldn't leave water on the floor. A problem with the compressor
would be outside. That leaves only one subsystem as the likely culprit.

If there's something wrong in my reasoning, feel free to point it out.

--
"Five tacos, one taco burger. Do you know where the American Dream is?"
-- Hunter S. Thompson, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Andy Walton * http://atticus.home.mindspring.com/
~^Johnny^~

--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info
KenStahl

Do not expect son of orca to admit he's wrong.
Demonkrap kornholers never do.
He'll run and hide like the pussyboy
coward he has always been.

KenStahl

Liberals are pussyboy kornholers.
Everybody knows that.
I'm one.
My home's in Tucker
I live to pucker.

KenStahl

One look at you fish face and you're ****ed.
Hide the banjo next time.

Craven Morehead

Re. my experience with Estes vs R.S. Andrews.

In my previous home in Cobb county, I replaced the 20 year old hvac system
with a new Amana dual fuel (gas / electric heat pump) system from Estes.
One tech. did the whole job in one day. Never had a problem for the next 6
years.

Recently moved to another neighborhood with a 20 year old house. This time,
used R.S. Andrews. Why, you say? The salesmen. The Estes fellow didn't
seem knowledgeable and provided a handwritten quote that was confusing. The
enthusiastic Andrews guy was professional and knowledgeable.

The 2 story (w/basement) house has 2 complete, independent systems. Both
were replaced with Trane dual fuel, heat pumps. In addition, all attic duct
work was replaced / upgraded. The three man crew arrived at 9:30 a.m. and
left about 10:30 p.m.

7 more service calls were required to fix things they did incorrectly. i.e.
installed the wrong thermostats, ran a water supply line in front of the
whole house humidifier, so the cover couldn't be removed to change the
filter. ( I had to teach the tech. how to solder copper pipe on this call.
He didn't have a clue.), ran a gas line to the attic system that did not
meet code, etc, etc.

FWIW, I did not have to "fight" to get them back each time but still.....

"Expert Witness" x@nospamcourt wrote in message
[...]

KenStahl

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.

AllenC

In . com, The Sanity
Inspector wrote:

My AC has a clogged pipe or some such, and is leaking all over the
basement--which is unfurnished, thank goodness. Email welcome, watch
the spam trap.

As others have suggested, you can probably unclog this yourself.

3 summers ago I had a similar issue with a clog in the condensation
pump. In my case, the A/C system was disabled due to the reservoir
being full. Going forward, I've prevented this issue from recurring by
pouring a quart of hot water mixed with 1 cup of bleach down the
condensation PVC pipe. This eats the mold that grows in the pipe. I do
this when the cooling season starts, before turing the A/C system on
for the first time and again when I change the air filters during the
cooling season. I pour 1/2 the mixture into the pipe, wait about a
minute, then pour the other 1/2 so I don't over fill the reservoir. I
do this for both the 1st and 2nd floor A/C units.

--
*Osc on efnet aka Allen C

remove 'news' & - to email