Craven Morehead

Re. my experience with Estes vs R.S. Andrews.

In my previous home in Cobb county, I replaced the 20 year old hvac system
with a new Amana dual fuel (gas / electric heat pump) system from Estes.
One tech. did the whole job in one day. Never had a problem for the next 6
years.

Recently moved to another neighborhood with a 20 year old house. This time,
used R.S. Andrews. Why, you say? The salesmen. The Estes fellow didn't
seem knowledgeable and provided a handwritten quote that was confusing. The
enthusiastic Andrews guy was professional and knowledgeable.

The 2 story (w/basement) house has 2 complete, independent systems. Both
were replaced with Trane dual fuel, heat pumps. In addition, all attic duct
work was replaced / upgraded. The three man crew arrived at 9:30 a.m. and
left about 10:30 p.m.

7 more service calls were required to fix things they did incorrectly. i.e.
installed the wrong thermostats, ran a water supply line in front of the
whole house humidifier, so the cover couldn't be removed to change the
filter. ( I had to teach the tech. how to solder copper pipe on this call.
He didn't have a clue.), ran a gas line to the attic system that did not
meet code, etc, etc.

FWIW, I did not have to "fight" to get them back each time but still.....

"Expert Witness" x@nospamcourt wrote in message
"Craven Morehead" wrote in message
I've had great success using Estes Co. and horrible experience with R.S.
Andrews. However, the other "posters" are spot on. You can probably

fix
this one by clearing the clog yourself.

What happened with R.S. Andrews? I used them a few times and wasn't
especially happy with them either.

Every tech who comes out has his sales hat on-- always trying to upsell

you
other services in your house. I had them out on an A/C problem and after

the
tech was finished, he sat in his truck for 20 minutes preparing a detailed
written proposal to upgrade my electric wiring (not related to power for

the
A/C). He tried to include that write-up time in his bill for the A/C

repair.

I told him to stuff it and deduct that time from the bill-- which he
reluctantly did. He said they're required to propose other work. If he was
telling the truth, that's pretty crummy-- especially if they're billing
people for their marketing/write-up time!

Overall, I found their prices are generally on the high side too...