Ketz

Default Please recommend a good basement dehumidifier

Hi

I'm looking around for a good inexpensive dehumidifier for a finished
basement (25x25x7). The basement doesn't really have a big humidity
problem, but there's still enough moisture and dampness to sometimes
create a little mildew/mold in the kitchen and bathroom areas. There's
no moisture on the Walls and floors. I haven't measured the humidity
levels, but during the summer some dampness is noticeable only when
temp is in the 90s. I wish to keep these areas as dry as possible
during the house-heating/winter season too. Should I get something
bigger or smaller than a 20-30 pint? I don't know if I should worry
much about this, but I just want to play it safe.

I live in New Jersey.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Lamer

"Ketz" wrote in message
s.com...
Hi

I'm looking around for a good inexpensive dehumidifier for a finished
basement (25x25x7). The basement doesn't really have a big humidity
problem, but there's still enough moisture and dampness to sometimes
create a little mildew/mold in the kitchen and bathroom areas. There's
no moisture on the Walls and floors. I haven't measured the humidity
levels, but during the summer some dampness is noticeable only when
temp is in the 90s. I wish to keep these areas as dry as possible
during the house-heating/winter season too. Should I get something
bigger or smaller than a 20-30 pint? I don't know if I should worry
much about this, but I just want to play it safe.

I live in New Jersey.

Thanks in advance for your help.

It really depends on how much your basement leaks. Not only water from the
water table, but in terms of hot air from other areas.

I have a small dehumidifier that does fine for a larger basement than yours.
I just bought the cheapest I could find at Wally World. I have it dump water
directly into my floor drain, so capacity is no issue.

During the winter, humidity is generally not a problem (except too low
humidity). Check the shelves. The store sell humidifuiers in winter.
Dehumidifiers are hard to find.

I guess you need to explain what the problem is. Does your home have wood
construction? Wood has certain humidity levels inherently. Do you really
want to disrupt those? Is it mold, cement problems, cracking walls,
paranoia, what???

Are the kitchen and bathroom in the basement? (doubt it). If so, look at air
leaks to the basement. If not, why blame the basement?

Art Begun

Consumer Reports recommends the biggest ones available because they
tend to be energy efficient and you can always turn them down. The
Sears models always do well and are cheap.

"Ketz" wrote in message
s.com...
Hi

I'm looking around for a good inexpensive dehumidifier for a

finished
basement (25x25x7). The basement doesn't really have a big humidity
problem, but there's still enough moisture and dampness to sometimes
create a little mildew/mold in the kitchen and bathroom areas.

There's
no moisture on the Walls and floors. I haven't measured the humidity
levels, but during the summer some dampness is noticeable only when
temp is in the 90s. I wish to keep these areas as dry as possible
during the house-heating/winter season too. Should I get something
bigger or smaller than a 20-30 pint? I don't know if I should worry
much about this, but I just want to play it safe.

I live in New Jersey.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Andy & Carol

I bought one at Walmart, just pulled it of the shelf, into my
cart, didn't worry about consumers report, efficentcy,or any
of that stuff, it is the best product I ever bought! It must pull a
gallon of water ot of the basement a day! The wife uses the water for her
flowers.
I think I payed about 150.00 for it.
Andy

"Ketz" wrote in message
s.com...
Hi

I'm looking around for a good inexpensive dehumidifier for a finished
basement (25x25x7). The basement doesn't really have a big humidity
problem, but there's still enough moisture and dampness to sometimes
create a little mildew/mold in the kitchen and bathroom areas. There's
no moisture on the Walls and floors. I haven't measured the humidity
levels, but during the summer some dampness is noticeable only when
temp is in the 90s. I wish to keep these areas as dry as possible
during the house-heating/winter season too. Should I get something
bigger or smaller than a 20-30 pint? I don't know if I should worry
much about this, but I just want to play it safe.

I live in New Jersey.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Doug Kanter

My only recommendation would be to shop FIRST for a quieter one. Believe
me - a lousy dehumidifier can make quite a racket. You might want to poke
around the Consumer Reports site and see if they've reviewed the machines.
If so, you can buy access to the site for under ten bucks.

Kevin O'

Hi,

As always - Energy Star compliant devices save BIG on your annual electric
bill - savings could actually pay for the unit in a few years...

Try to find a way to use gravity to drain the de-humidifier via a hose -
otherwise you will tire quickly of dumping the bucket (which on a 40 pint
dehumidifier might only be 15-20 pints (emptying twice a day would be a
pain, which would be required if area was very damp for some reason) -
remember, the machine only works when the bucket isn't full...

If you can't do that - in the past I've used a small "aquarium" type pump
($10.00 at the pet store) to pump the water up and out to a drain or
casement window. Put the pump in the bucket and forget it, it will pump
whenever the water gets a couple of inches deep...

Lastly, many de-humidifier models are sensitive to cold - they will freeze
up at temp's lower than about 60 degrees. Look for a model that is more
temperature flexible - I bought a whirlpool 45 pint that is rated to work in
much lower temps if necessary - works great.

Good luck,

Kevin O'

"Lamer" wrote in message

"Ketz" wrote in message
[...]

Ketz

On Tue, 02 Sep 2003 05:43:56 GMT, "Lamer" wrote:

"Ketz" wrote in message
ws.com...

Thanks in advance for your help.

It really depends on how much your basement leaks. Not only water from the
water table, but in terms of hot air from other areas.

I have a small dehumidifier that does fine for a larger basement than yours.
I just bought the cheapest I could find at Wally World. I have it dump water
directly into my floor drain, so capacity is no issue.

During the winter, humidity is generally not a problem (except too low
humidity). Check the shelves. The store sell humidifuiers in winter.
Dehumidifiers are hard to find.

I guess you need to explain what the problem is. Does your home have wood
construction? Wood has certain humidity levels inherently. Do you really
want to disrupt those? Is it mold, cement problems, cracking walls,
paranoia, what???

a little paranoia, maybe.

Are the kitchen and bathroom in the basement? (doubt it). If so, look at air
leaks to the basement. If not, why blame the basement?

Oh, sorry, the kitchen and bathroom I was referring to is in the
basement, as it's a finished livable space equipped with stove,
refrigerator, microwave, etc. The bathroom is also complete with tub
and shower, etc. There are two small windows, but not in the kitchen
or bathroom areas.

There isn't any big humidity problem in the rest of the house, just
some in the basement, at times. There was leaking in the basement
years ago but was fixed.

The basement was to be rented out, but is now used as an entertainment
and sometimes guest space. There is a lot of cooking and showering
down there, and that in itself sometimes causes a little mildew/mold
build up around the walls, particularly in those areas.

Thank you all.
Doug Miller

In article m, Ketz wrote:

Oh, sorry, the kitchen and bathroom I was referring to is in the
basement, as it's a finished livable space equipped with stove,
refrigerator, microwave, etc. The bathroom is also complete with tub
and shower, etc. There are two small windows, but not in the kitchen
or bathroom areas.

Do you have exhaust fans, vented to the outdoors, in those rooms? If not, you
should.

There isn't any big humidity problem in the rest of the house, just
some in the basement, at times. There was leaking in the basement
years ago but was fixed.

The basement was to be rented out, but is now used as an entertainment
and sometimes guest space. There is a lot of cooking and showering
down there, and that in itself sometimes causes a little mildew/mold
build up around the walls, particularly in those areas.

An exhaust fan removes humid air from the shower *far* more efficiently than a
dehumidifier. Install exhaust fans first, then look at dehumidifiers if you
still have a problem. I've been very happy with my Whirlpool 25-pint unit:
effective, quiet, and not terribly expensive.

--
Regards,