Ray

Default 15 Amp vs. 20 Amp

Can 15 amp receptacles be used in a 20 Amp circuit ??

Does this also apply to light switches ???

Thanks

Ray wrote:
Can 15 amp receptacles be used in a 20 Amp circuit ??

No. Doing so would mean that you could plug in a device that overloads
the receptacle.

Does this also apply to light switches ???

Yes.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Ray" wrote in message
Can 15 amp receptacles be used in a 20 Amp circuit ??

Does this also apply to light switches ???

Thanks

No, very dangerous but you can do the opposite.

Yes, it does apply to switches also.

Greetings,

Yes, 15 amp receptacles be used in a 20 amp circuit. The idea is that
the plug shape will prevent overloading the receptacle. The 20 amp
breaker will prevent gross overloading of the 15 amp receptacle if
someone plugs one of those ghastly power-strips in. You can use 15 amp
switches for lights. Use 20 amp switches for everything else. The
full rules are actually slightly more complex than this but follow
these simple guidelines and I don't think you'll run into any problems.
I am also sure you are aware not to use 14 awg wire in your 20 amp
circuit even if you have 15 amp switches and receptacles.

Hope this helps,
William

Rick

"Ray" wrote in message
Can 15 amp receptacles be used in a 20 Amp circuit ??

Yes, as long as there is more than one receptical on that circuit.

Bob Vaughan

In article qr2Ie.28703$mC.10857@okepread07, Ray wrote:
Can 15 amp receptacles be used in a 20 Amp circuit ??

Does this also apply to light switches ???

Thanks

Yes, 15 amp receptacles may be used on 20 amp circuits except for circuits
dedicated to a particular purpose (ie: window air conditioners), where the
entire load on the circuit is drawn thru a single outlet.

The circuit wiring must be sized for the overcurrent protection (ie: 12awg
for 20 amp circuits) throughout the circuit. (no 14awg pigtails to feed
15amp outlets).

ditto for light switches, so long as the connected load does not exceed
80% of the switch rating. (if you are actually switching 15amp loads,
you really need to use a 20amp switch..) In reality, you're probably not
going to be switching 1440watts worth of lighting on a single switch..)

Bob Vaughan | techie @ tantivy.net |
| P.O. Box 19792, Stanford, Ca 94309 |
-- I am Me, I am only Me, And no one else is Me, What could be simpler? --
Rick

wrote:
[...]

Although, unless the Code has changed since my latest book (1999), the
80% rule for switches applies to motor loads. But your point is well
taken!

Terry

" wrote in message
oups.com...
Greetings,

Yes, 15 amp receptacles be used in a 20 amp circuit. The idea is that
the plug shape will prevent overloading the receptacle.

I'm OK about size of wiring (#14 AWG for 15 amp and #12 AWG for 20 amp and
appropriate size of fuse/breaker), most circuits seem to have more than one
outlet on them.
But sounds like I could learn something from "plug shape will ..............
".
Please could you explain further?
Also one posting to this thread has got me thinking; any time I've put in a
single or 'dedicated' outlet, fed by it's own single CB I've probably used a
good quality 20 amp duplex outlet and sized everything conservatively
anyway. But someone mentioned that if it is a 'single outlet' one should
install only a 20 amp not a 15 amp capacity outlet! makes sense?
BTW our house being slightly older has 20 amp outlet circuits and separate
15 amp lighting circuits. But in more recent construction I have seen 15 amp
mixed outlet and lighting circuits using #14 AWG and 15 amp breakers as
original construction (not something a householder tacked on) it appears to
meet the code here.
Would welcome comments and information.
Terry

Rick

"Terry" wrote in message
news

" wrote in message
[...]

A 20A plug has a different blade arrangement so it can't be inserted
into a 15A receptacle

Rick

"Terry" wrote in message
news

" wrote in message
[...]

Not quite sure what you're asking about on the "dedicated" outlet. A
duplex receptacle is not a "single" outlet, though..

HorneTD

Ray wrote:
Can 15 amp receptacles be used in a 20 Amp circuit ??

Does this also apply to light switches ???

Thanks

I don't know were some of these completely erroneous answers are coming
from but it isn't from the US National Electric Code.

"210.21 Outlet Devices.
Outlet devices shall have an ampere rating that is not less than the
load to be served and shall comply with 210.21(A) and (B).
(B) Receptacles.
(1) Single Receptacle on an Individual Branch Circuit. A single
receptacle installed on an individual branch circuit shall have an
ampere rating not less than that of the branch circuit.
(2) Total Cord-and-Plug-Connected Load. Where connected to a branch
circuit supplying two or more receptacles or outlets, a receptacle shall
not supply a total cord-and-plug-connected load in excess of the maximum
specified in Table 210.21(B)(2).

Table 210.21(B)(2) Maximum Cord-and-Plug-Connected Load to Receptacle
Circuit Rating Receptacle Rating Maximum Load
(Amperes) (Amperes) (Amperes)
15 or 20 15 12
20 20 16
30 30 24

(3) Receptacle Ratings. Where connected to a branch circuit supplying
two or more receptacles or outlets, receptacle ratings shall conform to
the values listed in Table 210.21(B)(3), or where larger than 50
amperes, the receptacle rating shall not be less than the branch-circuit
rating.
Exception No. 1: Receptacles for one or more cord-and-plug-connected arc
welders shall be permitted to have ampere ratings not less than the
minimum branch-circuit conductor ampacity permitted by 630.11(A) or (B)
as applicable for arc welders.
Exception No. 2: The ampere rating of a receptacle installed for
electric discharge lighting shall be permitted to be based on 410.30(C).

Table 210.21(B)(3) Receptacle Ratings for Various Size Circuits
Circuit Rating (Amperes) Receptacle Rating (Amperes)
15 Not over 15
20 15 or 20
30 30
40 40 or 50
50 50

404.14 Rating and Use of Snap Switches.
Snap switches shall be used within their ratings and as indicated in
404.14(A) through (D).
FPN No. 1:For switches on signs and outline lighting, see 600.6.
FPN No. 2:For switches controlling motors, see 430.83, 430.109, and 430.110.
(A) Alternating Current General-Use Snap Switch. A form of general-use
snap switch suitable only for use on ac circuits for controlling the
following:
(1) Resistive and inductive loads, including electric-discharge lamps,
not exceeding the ampere rating of the switch at the voltage involved
(2) Tungsten-filament lamp loads not exceeding the ampere rating of the
switch at 120 volts
(3) Motor loads not exceeding 80 percent of the ampere rating of the
switch at its rated voltage
(B) Alternating-Current or Direct-Current General-Use Snap Switch. A
form of general-use snap switch suitable for use on either ac or dc
circuits for controlling the following:
(1) Resistive loads not exceeding the ampere rating of the switch at the
voltage applied.
(2) Inductive loads not exceeding 50 percent of the ampere rating of the
switch at the applied voltage. Switches rated in horsepower are suitable
for controlling motor loads within their rating at the voltage applied.
(3) Tungsten-filament lamp loads not exceeding the ampere rating of the
switch at the applied voltage if T-rated.
(C) CO/ALR Snap Switches. Snap switches rated 20 amperes or less
directly connected to aluminum conductors shall be listed and marked CO/ALR.
(D) Alternating-Current Specific-Use Snap Switches Rated for 347 Volts..."
Snipped as not applicable to home repair.
Copyright 2002 National Fire Protection Association
--
Tom Horne

Well we aren't no thin blue heroes and yet we aren't no blackguards to.
We're just working men and woman most remarkable like you.

Greetings HorneTD,

"What is fifteen ampere about the receptacles is the blade pattern that
they are built with. "

Does this mean that everything else about the receptacle is 20 amps?
If so would it be safe to run 16 amps through a 15 amp receptacle on a
20 amp circuit? This is contrary to what I have heard but I have never
read anything either way. I know the plug of a UL listed device
wouldn't fit but imagine a 16 amp device with a 20 amp plug accessing
the 15 amp receptacle through a perfectly safe (although not UL listed)
20 amp to 15 amp plug style adapter.

Thank you for your time,
William

Chris Lewis

According to Rick :

Although, unless the Code has changed since my latest book (1999), the
80% rule for switches applies to motor loads. But your point is well
taken!

Not quite. Switches for "motors" (except for small ones like those
in clocks) are supposed to be "horse power rated". So, not only
must the switch ampacity be sufficient, the switch must ALSO be
rated for the HP the motor generates. Which is why you don't use
ordinary wall switches for large motors.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
Rick

"Chris Lewis" wrote in message
According to Rick :

Although, unless the Code has changed since my latest book (1999),

the
80% rule for switches applies to motor loads. But your point is

well
taken!

Not quite. Switches for "motors" (except for small ones like those
in clocks) are supposed to be "horse power rated". So, not only
must the switch ampacity be sufficient, the switch must ALSO be
rated for the HP the motor generates. Which is why you don't use
ordinary wall switches for large motors.
--

Unless the motor is 2 HP or less and a general use snap switch only
for use on AC, according to 430-83 C 2...

Tekkie®

HorneTD posted for all of us...
I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.

I don't know were some of these completely erroneous answers are coming
from but it isn't from the US National Electric Code.

You and I both know where they coming from: unknowledgeable guessing.
--

Tekkie
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

Greetings HorneTD,

"What is fifteen ampere about the receptacles is the blade pattern that
they are built with. "

Does this mean that everything else about the receptacle is 20 amps?
If so would it be safe to run 16 amps through a 15 amp receptacle on a
20 amp circuit? This is contrary to what I have heard but I have never
read anything either way. I know the plug of a UL listed device
wouldn't fit but imagine a 16 amp device with a 20 amp plug accessing
the 15 amp receptacle through a perfectly safe (although not UL listed)
20 amp to 15 amp plug style adapter.

Thank you for your time,
William

I like to know that answer as well. Is a 15amp receptacle the same as a
20amp receptacle except for the keying? I would bet the answer is yes.

The breaker is to protect the wiring 'system' which includes switches
and receptacles. A 20amp circuit can pass more current than a 15amp
receptacle. So consider this;

1. You have a device plugged into a 15amp receptacle.
2. Receptacle is on 20amp circuit.
3. Device fails with a resistive short.
4. Load through circuit exceeds 15amp system amount, but not 20amp
system amount (say 19amps).

So now you have the receptacle passing more current that its rated for,
but the breaker and wiring are fine. So I agree that the receptacle
must be rated for the full 20amps if its to be plugged into a 20amp
circuit, REGARDLESS of the keying.

And for this same reason I completely disagree with the 10amp switch
statement. A 10amp switch on a 20amp circuit has no protection and is a
danger. Can't say if its legal as I am not electrician.

--
Respectfully,

CL Gilbert
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

Tekkie® wrote:
HorneTD posted for all of us...
I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.

I don't know were some of these completely erroneous answers are coming
from but it isn't from the US National Electric Code.

You and I both know where they coming from: unknowledgeable guessing.

Could you interpret these regulations please? What I hear from many of
these folks we would never do in the automotive world. In the auto
world our circuit protection is for 'failure conditions'. Most people
here seem to be protecting for normal conditions.

For instance, we would not care about keying. Cigar lighter receptacle
must be able to pass a load equivalent to the rating of its circuit
protection. Nothing less. It has nothing to do with the likelyhood of
the device plugged in.

Same with switches. It could be a switch with a .35A bulb on the end.
If its circuit protection is 20A, then the switch itself must be rated
for 20A. This is why sometimes we split circuits in two, so we can drop
the rating of the protection and reduce the size of the downstream
wiring and switches...

--
Respectfully,

CL Gilbert
Chris Lewis

According to CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert :
I like to know that answer as well. Is a 15amp receptacle the same as a
20amp receptacle except for the keying? I would bet the answer is yes.

Pretty much. In the US, 15A (or 15A/20A dual) pattern receptacles are often
on 20A circuits, and the code permits/encourages it. Therefore they must be
rated for it. This is a rather special case in US code.

Up until recently, Canadian code simply didn't have 20A general receptacle
circuits, so, you could never have a 15A pattern receptacle on a 20A circuit.
Dual-pattern 15A/20A outlets simply weren't permitted here either. So,
you either had 15A circuits with 15A pattern receptacles, or 20A circuits
with 20A pattern receptacles, and never the twain would meet ;-)

Rules have changed, so now we're like the US in this respect.

And for this same reason I completely disagree with the 10amp switch
statement. A 10amp switch on a 20amp circuit has no protection and is a
danger. Can't say if its legal as I am not electrician.

It's not legal in general.

There are a few explicit exceptions for things _like_ this (ie: 60A
range circuit splitting to two #8 circuits for a separate cooktop +
oven, or logically undersized branches in multi-motor circuits), but,
rarely applicable in residential.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
Phil Munro

CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Find a 15 Amp receptacle in the store, one that is in a box with some
writing on it. READ the specs that are either on the box or on a piece
of paper IN the box. In the USA, I have found that 15 Amp receptacles
are RATED at 20 Amps, but they will not allow a 20 Amp plug to be
inserted because of the pattern. I'm just repeating what others have
already said.
Also, it is NOT true that "A 10amp switch on a 20amp circuit has no
protection". It has 20 Amp protection! A lamp with flimsey lamp cord
on a 20 Amp circuit is also a danger, but it does have 20 Amp
protection! A short circuit on such a lamp cord will pop the 20 Amp
breaker. --Phil
Youngstown State University
Youngstown, Ohio 44555

Bud

CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert wrote:

I like to know that answer as well. Is a 15amp receptacle the same as a
20amp receptacle except for the keying? I would bet the answer is yes.
So now you have the receptacle passing more current that its rated for,
but the breaker and wiring are fine. So I agree that the receptacle
must be rated for the full 20amps if its to be plugged into a 20amp
circuit, REGARDLESS of the keying.

15A receptacles are rated 20A for both halves. The UL standard tests
them at 150% of rating, which I presume means 1/2 a 15A duples
receptacle is tested at 22.5A. Posts in other threads have said that 15
& 20A receptacles are identical, including sockets for 20A plugs behind
the 15A plastic face.

And for this same reason I completely disagree with the 10amp switch
statement. A 10amp switch on a 20amp circuit has no protection and is a
danger. Can't say if its legal as I am not electrician.

As HorneTD has said in a number of threads, the NEC requires the switch
has to be large enough for the load. If a switch is connected to a light
fixture, it would be a little difficult to lamp it at over 1200W, the
rating for a 10A switch. Going through my box of salvaged switches I
found several with a 10A 120V rating. The NEC is a pragmatic code; if
there are problems the code is changed to deal with them.

Bud--

CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

Bud wrote:
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert wrote:

[...]

And this is why we have Murphy's Law. You don't size the switch to the
intended load. You size the switch so it can't cause a fire. If that
fixture endures a resistive short, and its passing 15A, not enough to
blow the breaker, but too much for the switch, you have a serious
problem. So I guess NEC needs an updating wrt/ Murphy's Law.

--
Respectfully,

CL Gilbert
Rick

"CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert" wrote in message
Bud wrote:
[...]

A look at the Leviton and Cooper product lineups show all residential
switches to be rated at 15 or 20 A. From the Leviton technical
reference, AC/DC switches can be used on motor loads that are 50% of
the switch rating (80% for AC only switches) . To qualify as a motor
rated switch, an AC switch is tested at 6X the full load motor HP
rating current, 10X for DC, and goes through 50 make/break cycles in
addition to the normal overload endurance and heating tests

Your example of a 15A resistive short is 1800 watts. I would imagine
governing bodies view the chance of a 15A switch made of fire
retardant materials, installed in a box, and running a few amps over
it's rating starting a fire is insignificant compared to the short
itself.

Chris Lewis

According to CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert :

And this is why we have Murphy's Law. You don't size the switch to the
intended load. You size the switch so it can't cause a fire. If that
fixture endures a resistive short, and its passing 15A, not enough to
blow the breaker, but too much for the switch, you have a serious
problem. So I guess NEC needs an updating wrt/ Murphy's Law.

Note that switches have (at least) two ratings. Interrupt rating
and passthru.

Some switches may indeed have a 10A max _switch_ rating, but they're
still rated 15A (or 20A) continuous. The switching rating is based
on arc erosion.

_Most_ breakers have a relatively low switch rating. You're not
supposed to use breakers as a power switch unless they're rated
for it.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

Chris Lewis wrote:
According to CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert :

And this is why we have Murphy's Law. You don't size the switch to the
intended load. You size the switch so it can't cause a fire. If that
fixture endures a resistive short, and its passing 15A, not enough to
blow the breaker, but too much for the switch, you have a serious
problem. So I guess NEC needs an updating wrt/ Murphy's Law.

Note that switches have (at least) two ratings. Interrupt rating
and passthru.

Some switches may indeed have a 10A max _switch_ rating, but they're
still rated 15A (or 20A) continuous. The switching rating is based
on arc erosion.

_Most_ breakers have a relatively low switch rating. You're not
supposed to use breakers as a power switch unless they're rated
for it.

Good point.

--
Respectfully,

CL Gilbert

Percival P. Cassidy

On 08/05/05 10:09 am Chris Lewis tossed the following ingredients into
the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

Note that switches have (at least) two ratings. Interrupt rating
and passthru.

Some switches may indeed have a 10A max _switch_ rating, but they're
still rated 15A (or 20A) continuous. The switching rating is based
on arc erosion.

Huh!? If you are switching a device or devices that pull 15A while
operating, it's extremely unlikely that it/they will pull less than that
at switch-on time. ISTM that the switching capacity should be higher
than the "running" capacity.

Perce
Chris Lewis

According to Percival P. Cassidy :
On 08/05/05 10:09 am Chris Lewis tossed the following ingredients into
the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

Note that switches have (at least) two ratings. Interrupt rating
and passthru.

Some switches may indeed have a 10A max _switch_ rating, but they're
still rated 15A (or 20A) continuous. The switching rating is based
on arc erosion.

Huh!? If you are switching a device or devices that pull 15A while
operating, it's extremely unlikely that it/they will pull less than that
at switch-on time. ISTM that the switching capacity should be higher
than the "running" capacity.

The continuous rating is based around how much current can go through
closed contacts without overheating.

This is radically different, and usually considerably _higher_ than
you can do thousands of "make/break" cycles with.

The fact that a switch has a switch rating of 10A, with a continous
current rating of 20A doesn't mean that it's deliberately designed
for a circuit where this will happen all the time.

Not at all.

It just means that you limit the stuff you switch by it to 10A, but
if you have a resistive short in the switched stuff that only passes
20A, the switch can safely pass the maximum current that the breaker
will let through.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est