Chris Lewis

According to CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert :
I like to know that answer as well. Is a 15amp receptacle the same as a
20amp receptacle except for the keying? I would bet the answer is yes.

Pretty much. In the US, 15A (or 15A/20A dual) pattern receptacles are often
on 20A circuits, and the code permits/encourages it. Therefore they must be
rated for it. This is a rather special case in US code.

Up until recently, Canadian code simply didn't have 20A general receptacle
circuits, so, you could never have a 15A pattern receptacle on a 20A circuit.
Dual-pattern 15A/20A outlets simply weren't permitted here either. So,
you either had 15A circuits with 15A pattern receptacles, or 20A circuits
with 20A pattern receptacles, and never the twain would meet ;-)

Rules have changed, so now we're like the US in this respect.

And for this same reason I completely disagree with the 10amp switch
statement. A 10amp switch on a 20amp circuit has no protection and is a
danger. Can't say if its legal as I am not electrician.

It's not legal in general.

There are a few explicit exceptions for things _like_ this (ie: 60A
range circuit splitting to two #8 circuits for a separate cooktop +
oven, or logically undersized branches in multi-motor circuits), but,
rarely applicable in residential.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est