Rick

"Terry" wrote in message
news

" wrote in message
oups.com...
Greetings,

Yes, 15 amp receptacles be used in a 20 amp circuit. The idea is

that
the plug shape will prevent overloading the receptacle.

I'm OK about size of wiring (#14 AWG for 15 amp and #12 AWG for 20

amp and
appropriate size of fuse/breaker), most circuits seem to have more

than one
outlet on them.
But sounds like I could learn something from "plug shape will

".
Please could you explain further?
Also one posting to this thread has got me thinking; any time I've

put in a
single or 'dedicated' outlet, fed by it's own single CB I've

probably used a
good quality 20 amp duplex outlet and sized everything

conservatively
anyway. But someone mentioned that if it is a 'single outlet' one

should
install only a 20 amp not a 15 amp capacity outlet! makes sense?
BTW our house being slightly older has 20 amp outlet circuits and

separate
15 amp lighting circuits. But in more recent construction I have

seen 15 amp
mixed outlet and lighting circuits using #14 AWG and 15 amp breakers

as
original construction (not something a householder tacked on) it

appears to
meet the code here.
Would welcome comments and information.
Terry

A 20A plug has a different blade arrangement so it can't be inserted
into a 15A receptacle