Chris Lewis

According to CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert :

And this is why we have Murphy's Law. You don't size the switch to the
intended load. You size the switch so it can't cause a fire. If that
fixture endures a resistive short, and its passing 15A, not enough to
blow the breaker, but too much for the switch, you have a serious
problem. So I guess NEC needs an updating wrt/ Murphy's Law.

Note that switches have (at least) two ratings. Interrupt rating
and passthru.

Some switches may indeed have a 10A max _switch_ rating, but they're
still rated 15A (or 20A) continuous. The switching rating is based
on arc erosion.

_Most_ breakers have a relatively low switch rating. You're not
supposed to use breakers as a power switch unless they're rated
for it.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est