CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

Tekkie® wrote:
HorneTD posted for all of us...
I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.

I don't know were some of these completely erroneous answers are coming
from but it isn't from the US National Electric Code.

You and I both know where they coming from: unknowledgeable guessing.

Could you interpret these regulations please? What I hear from many of
these folks we would never do in the automotive world. In the auto
world our circuit protection is for 'failure conditions'. Most people
here seem to be protecting for normal conditions.

For instance, we would not care about keying. Cigar lighter receptacle
must be able to pass a load equivalent to the rating of its circuit
protection. Nothing less. It has nothing to do with the likelyhood of
the device plugged in.

Same with switches. It could be a switch with a .35A bulb on the end.
If its circuit protection is 20A, then the switch itself must be rated
for 20A. This is why sometimes we split circuits in two, so we can drop
the rating of the protection and reduce the size of the downstream
wiring and switches...

--
Respectfully,

CL Gilbert