C & M

Default T1-11 replacement

The siding on my house - 5/8" T1-11 - is just over 30 yrs old and me... I'm
a lot older and getting tired of the staining that has to be done. Had
someone else do it and the job stunk - it wasn't his house, right. SO, I'm
thinking of a low/ no maintenance siding but don't want to go with
horizontal. The only thing the old rancher has going for it are the hip
roof and the vertical siding. I looked into the concrete but I was told
that it had to be painted every 5 yrs and the composite stuff is REALLY
expensive. I guess the expense would be offset by the reduction in
maintenance. I asked an architect who apparently didn't want to be bothered
and he said to vinyl side it. Doh!!! Any suggestions short of burning it
are welcome.

Roger Taylor

"C & M" wrote in message
The siding on my house - 5/8" T1-11 - is just over 30 yrs old and me...
I'm
a lot older and getting tired of the staining that has to be done. Had
someone else do it and the job stunk - it wasn't his house, right. SO,
I'm
thinking of a low/ no maintenance siding but don't want to go with
horizontal. The only thing the old rancher has going for it are the hip
roof and the vertical siding. I looked into the concrete but I was told
that it had to be painted every 5 yrs and the composite stuff is REALLY
expensive. I guess the expense would be offset by the reduction in
maintenance. I asked an architect who apparently didn't want to be
bothered
and he said to vinyl side it. Doh!!! Any suggestions short of burning it
are welcome.

I've got T1-11 on my house, and it is about 15 yrs old. It has been painted
only once, and merely touched up after that. Have you considered using a
good exterior stain-killer prime, followed by acrylic paint? In my
experience paints last much longer than stains. This would be your most
economic choice.
Other than that, I don't know which of the many siding choices would be best
for you, if you really want it covered. I personally dont like to cover wood
with an impermeable cover, like vinyl or aluminum, as if there are leaks in
the new siding, you get rot and insects in the underlying wood, which is
hell to detect once it's covered.

Doug Boulter

"C & M" wrote on 19 Jul 2005:

I looked into the concrete but I was told
that it had to be painted every 5 yrs and the composite stuff is
REALLY expensive.

Hardipanel. I've never used it, but the Hardiplank (the horizontal
stuff you don't want) supposedly needs painting only every 8-10
years. Based on mine, I'd say 10 years was easily do-able.

--
Doug Boulter

To reply by e-mail, remove the obvious word from the e-mail address
Banty

In article , C & M says...

The siding on my house - 5/8" T1-11 - is just over 30 yrs old and me... I'm
a lot older and getting tired of the staining that has to be done. Had
someone else do it and the job stunk - it wasn't his house, right. SO, I'm
thinking of a low/ no maintenance siding but don't want to go with
horizontal. The only thing the old rancher has going for it are the hip
roof and the vertical siding. I looked into the concrete but I was told
that it had to be painted every 5 yrs and the composite stuff is REALLY
expensive. I guess the expense would be offset by the reduction in
maintenance. I asked an architect who apparently didn't want to be bothered
and he said to vinyl side it. Doh!!! Any suggestions short of burning it
are welcome.

I have T1-11 on the front and addition to my rancher (built 1960). My last
paint job was in 1997 and is still looking good - the guy I got did a meticulous
job on the prep and I had him use a Ben Moore paint. So you could probably do a
little better and still keep the siding if you want.

However, since I'm looking for low maintenance like you, and detest the
horizontal lines I'm seeing on every new-sided house around me, I'm going to use
Royal Board and Batten vinyl siding. The job will be this fall. It's fairly
rare around here (upstate NY) to use this for the whole house, but two local
examples I've seen - a contemporary and an Eichler type house, look good to me.
Not quite as good as cedar board-and-batten, but if you're going for plastic,
you're going for plastic

Banty

C & M

Thanks to all to the input. I like tthe look of the Alside product, Banty,
mostly because of the texture which I know will hold dirt. I'm also toying
with the idea of self-installation. Did it as a kid to work thru college
but a lot has changed in the industry (and my body) since then. Any ideas
on a site for instructions? My search has been fruitless - lots of hits
which were either for cedar or just an ad or a directory with nothing
relevant to the question. Perhaps I'll need to pos this n a separate thread
since the board moves so fast!
Thanks again
"C & M" wrote in message
The siding on my house - 5/8" T1-11 - is just over 30 yrs old and me...

I'm
a lot older and getting tired of the staining that has to be done. Had
someone else do it and the job stunk - it wasn't his house, right. SO,

I'm
thinking of a low/ no maintenance siding but don't want to go with
horizontal. The only thing the old rancher has going for it are the hip
roof and the vertical siding. I looked into the concrete but I was told
that it had to be painted every 5 yrs and the composite stuff is REALLY
expensive. I guess the expense would be offset by the reduction in
maintenance. I asked an architect who apparently didn't want to be

bothered
and he said to vinyl side it. Doh!!! Any suggestions short of burning it
are welcome.

Banty

In article , C & M says...

Thanks to all to the input. I like tthe look of the Alside product, Banty,
mostly because of the texture which I know will hold dirt. I'm also toying
with the idea of self-installation. Did it as a kid to work thru college
but a lot has changed in the industry (and my body) since then. Any ideas
on a site for instructions? My search has been fruitless - lots of hits
which were either for cedar or just an ad or a directory with nothing
relevant to the question. Perhaps I'll need to pos this n a separate thread
since the board moves so fast!
Thanks again

Not sure what you mean by texture and what you mean by holding dirt - from your
sentence construction it sound like you want the dirt and I'm not sure what
product (the Alside?) that would do that...

At any rate, I'm having a contractor do it; dunno what I can say concerning
installation.

Good luck,
Banty