Jeff

Default AC replacement part and or power strip

Hi, about three years ago I bought a Maytag M3T12F2A window air
conditioner, 12,000 BTU - a standard unit for a 115 volt wall outlet.
(I live in an apartment, not a house.)
The rotary on/off high/low dial broke off, which is plastic.
As a result, I can't adjust the unit or even turn it on or off.
Fortunately the unit was on low cool mode at the time of the dial
breaking off, so as long as it's plugged in it operates.
I have attempted to locate a replacement part for this unit, but I
can't. It's possible this is because I bought it at BJ's and this
model was possibly made in limited quanties for BJ's.
I checked the Maytag and Fedders websites but there's no option for
replacement parts and I checked a few parts replacement websites and
this model isn't listed.

If need be, I can live with the situation as is providing that I can
find a proper power strip to use for on/off with surge protection.

Assuming that I won't be able to find a replacement dial (I still
have the original plastic dial but the part that adheres to the metal
piece in the unit that actually does the turning is broken off) can
you recommend a proper and safe power strip to use to turn the unit on
and off?

Thanks in advance.
Jeff

for personal replies, remove PESTSTRIP.

volts500

"Jeff" wrote in message
[...]

That's what visegrips/pliers are for :-) Don't use a power strip. Take the
knob along with you to a local appliance parts supplier or a used appliance
dealer/bone yard......you'll find something that works.

Chris Lewis

According to Art :
Have you tried calling Maytag?

Or a local appliance repair outlet?

These things are pretty standard/universal.

If you _had_ to put on an external switch, you really need to buy a
horsepower rated switch. ACs have nasty start surges, and power
bars aren't designed to be used as power switches for such things.

You could build one out of a chunk of SJ appliance cord, a plug
and receptacle, a plastic box, and a HP-rated switch for $20.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
SQLit

"Jeff" wrote in message
[...]

Forget the plug strip. Get a pair of needle nosed vise grips and install on
the stud. I had one when I was in college. The landlord would not get it
fixed so I fixed it and took the vicegrips when I left.

Jeff

On Thu, 13 May 2004 11:58:25 -0700, "SQLit"
wrote:

"Jeff" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Thanks for your responses. So you're suggesting that i use, in
effect, a pliar to turn the stud? It's actually plastic, not metal.
My concern with that is the fragility of the stud and the pressure of
the pliar, but it makes sense if dealt with carefully.

for personal replies, remove PESTSTRIP.
Dan O.

Art wrote in message ...

Have you tried calling Maytag?

Maytag has nothing to do with "Maytag" *air conditioners* (as stupid
as that is). If anyone calls Maytag about them Maytag just gives them
Fedders number and tells the consumer to call them.

JFYI

Dan O.
-
Appliance411.com
http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=M...ir+conditioner

=Ð~~~~~~

Jeff

On Thu, 13 May 2004 17:57:46 -0400, "Dan O."
wrote:

Jeff wrote

Hi, about three years ago I bought a Maytag
M3T12F2A window air conditioner, The rotary
on/off high/low dial broke off, which is plastic.
As a result, I can't adjust the unit or even turn it
on or off.

I have attempted to locate a replacement part
for this unit, but I can't. I checked the Maytag
and Fedders websites but there's no option for
replacement parts and I checked a few parts
replacement websites and this model isn't
listed.

The company at the following link should be able to get replacement
parts for it but you'll have to contact them with the model number as
it isn't listed in their on-line catalog.

http://ng.appliance411.com/data.php?Maytag+AC+parts

Dan O.
-
Appliance411.com
http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=M...ir+conditioner

=Ð~~~~~~

thanks alot

for personal replies, remove PESTSTRIP.
Joseph Meehan

Jeff wrote:
[...]

If you can't find the right part, I don't suggest a standard powerstrip
as most don't have switches that will hold up to that kind of power
switching. You should be able to get a heavy duty switch/outlet to replace
the outlet you now have.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

jeff

Jeff wrote in message . ..
[...]

Hi,

1) Great name!

2) May want to double check that model#....are you taking off of the
model/serial tag on the unit?

3) You broke the switch shaft or the knob?

4) If you access the switch ( if that is what is borken ) there -may-
be a part# printed right on the part that you can check for.

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

jeff

Jeff wrote in message . ..

4) If you access the switch ( if that is what is broken ) there -may-
be a part# printed right on the part that you can check for.

Right, well there's no part # on the knob, if i open the unit up I
could access the shaft from inside and perhaps there is a model
number..... But this seems like an exercise in futility unless the
same parts were used for more common Maytag models.

Hi,

Fedders ( maker of the Maytag a/c ) often had part#'s printed on the
electrical parts....even if this part was only used for this model a
part# is better than nothing can can easily be researched, esp by
parts depots

http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=153&P=41
Model# sisn't come up on the on-line check....probably need to call
them.

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Got this dog: JVC NV-55D500, tries to power up but it's not that simple. Art Electronics Repair 3 July 17th 04 03:42 AM
B`port power feed gear box part needed???? Craig Suslosky Metalworking 0 February 24th 04 04:39 AM
Generator FAQ Gunner Metalworking 0 January 23rd 04 05:24 PM
testing ATX power supply tempus fugit Electronics Repair 12 January 13th 04 05:03 PM
more info RCA TV CTC169(BG5) Wont come out of standby - Ticking sound when Power button is pressed Electronics Repair 3 September 25th 03 01:29 AM