SilverUnicorn

Default Basement finishing - What to do around HVAC?

Hi gang!

We are in the process of finishing our basement. While I have studded
and primes all outside walls, I am at a loss as to what to do around the
HVAC unit. Any ideas? It would be difficult to frame around, since it butts
up to a steel support girder, and not wood that I could attach framing to.
Here is a (albeit poor) picture.

Just wondering how we would be able to hide this when the basement is
finished.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or ideas. This has turned into quite a
project!

Chris

No

You will build a stud wall around it with either a door or access panel
appropriately place for service access and filter changes. Code may dictate
clearances. I just use common sense. Figure what may ever need to be
accessed and make sure your 'room' is large enough to get to it. Also if
this is your furnace it may use basement air for combustion so you may need
to add a vent to the wall or louvered doors. If you need to connect to the
beam you can drill a small hole and drive a bolt or screw through. Just
build the walls first. They may not need to attach at top and yet be sturdy
enough. Drywall add a lot of rigidity.

looks like you have more soffit work to do as well. Greenboard was probably
not necessary but wont hurt.

"SilverUnicorn" wrote in message
Hi gang!

We are in the process of finishing our basement. While I have studded
and primes all outside walls, I am at a loss as to what to do around the
HVAC unit. Any ideas? It would be difficult to frame around, since it
butts up to a steel support girder, and not wood that I could attach
framing to. Here is a (albeit poor) picture.

Just wondering how we would be able to hide this when the basement is
finished.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or ideas. This has turned into quite
a project!

Chris

Mikepier

Nice pics. I would agree to build a wall around it with a louvered
door. I have that in my basement.

Duane Bozarth

Mikepier wrote:

Nice pics. I would agree to build a wall around it with a louvered
door. I have that in my basement.

I would strongly suggest making the opening sufficient to get the unit
in/out and to leave lots of room around it inside in order to
facilitate service. I would also provide light and power for the same
purpose. Your need to install sufficient air space to provide return
air and combustion air.
Jeff

Concur with others on furnace/AC. In my basement I used a drop ceiling and
butted it against the sides of the AC/furnace ducts. I painted the ducts a
light brown. I think this is no worse than framing them in or having a real
low ceiling all over. It certainly is easier to do.

"SilverUnicorn" wrote in message
Hi gang!

We are in the process of finishing our basement. While I have studded
and primes all outside walls, I am at a loss as to what to do around the
HVAC unit. Any ideas? It would be difficult to frame around, since it
butts up to a steel support girder, and not wood that I could attach
framing to. Here is a (albeit poor) picture.

Just wondering how we would be able to hide this when the basement is
finished.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or ideas. This has turned into quite
a project!

Chris

JimL

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 12:49:27 -0400, "SilverUnicorn"
wrote:

Hi gang!

We are in the process of finishing our basement. While I have studded
and primes all outside walls, I am at a loss as to what to do around the
HVAC unit. Any ideas? It would be difficult to frame around, since it butts
up to a steel support girder, and not wood that I could attach framing to.
Here is a (albeit poor) picture.

Just wondering how we would be able to hide this when the basement is
finished.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or ideas. This has turned into quite a
project!

Chris

What have you done for AC and Heat for the basement? I don't see
any returns or outlets tied in to the central system?

SilverUnicorn

We did not tie into the system for the basement. In the summer, it's nice
and cool anyway. in the winter we will have small portable heaters or an
electric fireplace.

Looks like the consensus is to frame out around the HVAC, and have a door or
vents for it. Thanks for the responses.

Chris