Jaxx

Default bi-level home and finishing basement

Hi,

I have a bi-level home (open front door and either go upstairs or
downstairs). The downstairs is not finished. There are poured contrete
walls only half way up (as the basement is only "half below ground"). The
poured concrete creates a ledge around the entire basement. My question is
how do I deal with this concrete ledge when I am framing and insulating?

Any help would be great.

Jaxx

Edwin Pawlowski

"Jaxx" wrote in message
Hi,

I have a bi-level home (open front door and either go upstairs or
downstairs). The downstairs is not finished. There are poured contrete
walls only half way up (as the basement is only "half below ground"). The
poured concrete creates a ledge around the entire basement. My question
is how do I deal with this concrete ledge when I am framing and
insulating?

Any help would be great.

Jaxx

Frame the bottom and insulate it, cover with sheetrock. Now you put a board
on top to make a shelf. You will probably need a 1 x 12 (that is what I
have) round the front edge a bit, trim with some molding. I can email you a
picture of mine if you'd like. The shelf is nice for holding a bookcase,
planters, etc.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Mr. Pawlowki has a good idea.
From a technical point of viewl, the ledge can be ignored if you like.

That is, you could frame from floor to ceiling and go about your
business.
If there are windows in the upper half of the wall, framing from floor
to ceiling will raise the question of how to treat them. That's not so
much a technical problem as an appearance and lighting problem.

TB

JimmySchmittsLovesChocolateMilk

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
om...

"Jaxx" wrote in message
[...]

Go with the ledge idea, I did the same in my old place, its a nice look,
and makes a great bar ledge when playing ping-pong in the basement.
the other option of going straight up will make your room seem slightly
smaller, and, you will have realllllyy deep window, though, this would
allow you to put in a tone of insulation to keep those exterior walls warm.