RKON

Default Finishing Basement Shop Questions

Bill:

I have been framing my basement over the past couple of months and have
concrete poured walls. I have left a 1/4 inch gap between the concrete and
framing for moisture. If I read you posting correctly your walls are already
insulated and you want to frame up against them. I would add a 6mil layer
of plastic to the foil face and then frame up the walls leaving a 1/4" gap
for airflow.

Good luck !!

wrote in message
This may be a bit off topic, but it does relate to my new basement WW
shop.

First, some background. I have an unfinished basement in my new
house. I have a 16.5' x 33' x 9' area set aside for my shop. Three of
the walls are poured concrete foundation walls. The fourth wall is
stud framed for about 80% and the remainder concrete foundation. The
concrete foundation walls are covered horizontally with (2) 4' wide,
foil faced, continuous wrap fiberglass insulation bats held to the
wall using PAD* anchors.

The stud wall I intend to cover with a smooth faced 1/2" plywood. This
allows me to mount cabinets or shelves or clamp racks where ever I
please.
I don't really want to fully frame out the remaining walls. I'd like
to maintain as much floor space as I can. My intention is to fur out
the walls with 2x4's on the flat and then covering with my choice of
plywood, paneling, or drywall.
What I'm not sure about is how to handle the existing insulation.
Should I:
1. Leave it, and place the furring strip 2x4's over it?
or
2. Cut it wherever there will be a furring stri, then re-staple or
tape it to the furring strip?
or
3. Rip it down toss it out, and re-insulate using 1.5" foam board
between my furring strips.

The remaining walls and ceiling need to be finished (to minimize dust
migration, provide smooth all mounting surfaces etc, and I'm undecided
on how to go about this. Any suggestions?

*Powder Actuated Device

Bill Lewis

REMOVE both "nospam-" in return address to reply.

Apparently I'm not being clear enough.
I don't want to frame out the walls. I don't want to lose floor
space. I'd rather just fur out the wall with 2x4's laid flat against
the existing wall, then use either plywood, drywall, paneling, or
pegboard to cover.
The question then becomes how to handle the situation with the
existing insulation. This stuff wraps around the room horizontally
with (2) 4' wide bats.
So, do I
1. Leave it, and place the furring strip 2x4's over it?
or
2. Cut it wherever there will be a furring strip, then re-staple or
tape it to the furring strip?
or
3. Rip it down toss it out, and re-insulate using 1.5" x 24" x 8' foam
board between my furring strips.
or
4. Open to suggestions???

On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 16:03:30 GMT, "RKON"
wrote:

I have been framing my basement over the past couple of months and have
concrete poured walls. I have left a 1/4 inch gap between the concrete and
framing for moisture. If I read you posting correctly your walls are already
insulated and you want to frame up against them. I would add a 6mil layer
of plastic to the foil face and then frame up the walls leaving a 1/4" gap
for airflow.

Good luck !!

wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Morgans

wrote in message
[...]

I choose #3 because the wall will be more secure, better insulated,
straighter, firmer.
--
Is there no way that you can keep yourself from using this newsgroup as a
place to vent on religion? Wrong place, wrong time.

Jim in NC

Morgans

"Morgans" wrote in message

wrote in message
[...]

Whoops1 Wrong sig line. Sorry!
--
Jim in NC

Silvan

Morgans wrote:

Is there no way that you can keep yourself from using this newsgroup as a
place to vent on religion? Wrong place, wrong time.

Whoops1 Wrong sig line. Sorry!

I was wondering WTF you were talking about...

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
Confirmed post number: 17831 Approximate word count: 534930