TomKan

Default Mr. Coffee parts rip-off

Well, maybe not a rip-off but making it necessary to pitch a perfectly
good Mr. Coffee BL 4 coffe brewer. Plus I have two carafes for it. The
lighted on/off switch pops out. There are four wires that push on to
the back of it. This morning when I turned it on, the switch fell
apart. Simple fix, get new switch, push on four wires, pop switch back
into coffee maker.
NOPE! No replacement parts that have to be wired in are sold.
Yeah, I know I could replace the switch with an after market switch,
but having the on light is handy. This Mr. Coffee doesn't have an
automatic shut-off on it, so this makes a light necessary.
You'd think that the simplicity of installing a new switch would make
it a replacement part.

CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

TomKan wrote:
Well, maybe not a rip-off but making it necessary to pitch a perfectly
good Mr. Coffee BL 4 coffe brewer. Plus I have two carafes for it. The
lighted on/off switch pops out. There are four wires that push on to
the back of it. This morning when I turned it on, the switch fell
apart. Simple fix, get new switch, push on four wires, pop switch back
into coffee maker.
NOPE! No replacement parts that have to be wired in are sold.
Yeah, I know I could replace the switch with an after market switch,
but having the on light is handy. This Mr. Coffee doesn't have an
automatic shut-off on it, so this makes a light necessary.
You'd think that the simplicity of installing a new switch would make
it a replacement part.

Nope. I would think the simplicity/cheapness of assembly/modular
manufacturing would mean you can barely replace any part.

Shame, but thats where we are today. It breaks, toss it.

When I find a thing that is put together with buts/bolts/screws it gets
extra points in my books.

--
Respectfully,

CL Gilbert
Joseph Meehan

TomKan wrote:
Well, maybe not a rip-off but making it necessary to pitch a perfectly
good Mr. Coffee BL 4 coffe brewer. Plus I have two carafes for it. The
lighted on/off switch pops out. There are four wires that push on to
the back of it. This morning when I turned it on, the switch fell
apart. Simple fix, get new switch, push on four wires, pop switch back
into coffee maker.
NOPE! No replacement parts that have to be wired in are sold.
Yeah, I know I could replace the switch with an after market switch,
but having the on light is handy. This Mr. Coffee doesn't have an
automatic shut-off on it, so this makes a light necessary.
You'd think that the simplicity of installing a new switch would make
it a replacement part.

Yea, I had one that also had a problem. I would have looked for a part,
if I thought it would be available and at any kind of reasonable price.
Let's face it, it was not designed to be repaired. It is a throw-a-way.
Many things are. Most people would not know how to do it themselves and
there are no repairmen around to do that kind of work at a price that would
make it doable.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

TURTLE

"TomKan" wrote in message
oups.com...
Well, maybe not a rip-off but making it necessary to pitch a perfectly
good Mr. Coffee BL 4 coffe brewer. Plus I have two carafes for it. The
lighted on/off switch pops out. There are four wires that push on to
the back of it. This morning when I turned it on, the switch fell
apart. Simple fix, get new switch, push on four wires, pop switch back
into coffee maker.
NOPE! No replacement parts that have to be wired in are sold.
Yeah, I know I could replace the switch with an after market switch,
but having the on light is handy. This Mr. Coffee doesn't have an
automatic shut-off on it, so this makes a light necessary.
You'd think that the simplicity of installing a new switch would make
it a replacement part.

This is Turtle.

When you buy a product for $9.95 and the warranty reads bring it back and we
will give you a new one.It does not make you think they are going to supply
parts and help with service on the unit after 1 years warranty. Also if you did
order a part for it at say $3.00 the shipping and handling will be about $6.00
which will cost you $9.00 to get a part for it. Tomcan , I feel sorry for you
but your just going to have to break open your billfold with a crowbar and buy a
new coffee pot. Also Crowbars are $9.95 too.

TURTLE

TomKan

When you buy a product for $9.95 ........................

____Reply Separator_____

Turtle, you're 100% correct! The part plus shipping/handling* would
probably be a ten spot. I don't have to pry my wallet open with a
crowbar, but I do have to find a place that will sell me another Mr.
Coffee 4 cup coffee brewer for $9.95.

* That handling charge is the big ticket item. Now I know where the
expression "Boy was I handled!" originated!!

Mortimer Schnerd, RN

TomKan wrote:
Turtle, you're 100% correct! The part plus shipping/handling* would
probably be a ten spot. I don't have to pry my wallet open with a
crowbar, but I do have to find a place that will sell me another Mr.
Coffee 4 cup coffee brewer for $9.95.

Try some Gevalia coffee and get a free coffee maker. The coffee is damned good
and you can cancel immediately if you don't want to spring for it. You still
get to keep the coffee maker.

http://www.gevalia.com

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Jeff Wisnia

TomKan wrote:

Well, maybe not a rip-off but making it necessary to pitch a perfectly
good Mr. Coffee BL 4 coffe brewer. Plus I have two carafes for it. The
lighted on/off switch pops out. There are four wires that push on to
the back of it. This morning when I turned it on, the switch fell
apart. Simple fix, get new switch, push on four wires, pop switch back
into coffee maker.
NOPE! No replacement parts that have to be wired in are sold.
Yeah, I know I could replace the switch with an after market switch,
but having the on light is handy. This Mr. Coffee doesn't have an
automatic shut-off on it, so this makes a light necessary.
You'd think that the simplicity of installing a new switch would make
it a replacement part.

I would replace the switch AND the light just for the satisfaction of
doing it and beating the system once again.

'Course I've got my 50 year old "hell boxes" with zillions of different
switches and pilot lamps in them. I've left word for my survivors to
pour them all into my coffin when I die...Who says you can't take 'em
with you. G

You can probably salvage the light part and just have to get a new switch.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Les and Gina

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote in message
om...
TomKan wrote:
Turtle, you're 100% correct! The part plus shipping/handling* would
probably be a ten spot. I don't have to pry my wallet open with a
crowbar, but I do have to find a place that will sell me another Mr.
Coffee 4 cup coffee brewer for $9.95.

Try some Gevalia coffee and get a free coffee maker. The coffee is damned
good and you can cancel immediately if you don't want to spring for it.
You still get to keep the coffee maker.

http://www.gevalia.com

I did exactly that. The coffe was pretty good, but not worth $10 - $15 a
pound. The coffee maker is over three years old going strong. The coffe
maker was the type that brews at drinking temp into an insulated carafe.
The coffee stays drinking hot for 8-12 hours.

Les

TomKan

I would replace the switch AND the light just for the satisfaction of
doing it and beating the system once again.
SNIPPED FOR BREVITY
You can probably salvage the light part and just have to get a new
switch.

Nope, all one little unit. I could put a toggle/rocker/whatever switch
on it, but the wife uses this pot. I drink decaf by the pot, she wants
a couple of cups of regular in the morning. So, I have my 12 cup
brewer, she has her 4 cup job. She leaves the unit turned on even WITH
a pilot light, imagine if it had none. And no, don't need a unit with
a two hour shutoff.
I notice you have ..... (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE).... on your post.
Can you tell me what this means? Particularly the '57 part.

TomKan

Yeah, no coffee is worth about $10-15 a pound. Starbucks goes for
about this.
My wife tells me how good Starbuck's Coffee is. I decided to try a cup.

THERE'S A TWENTYISH-YEAR-OLD GIRL WITH A SHAVED HEAD, THREE EARRINGS IN
HER LEFT EAR, TWO IN HER RIGHT AND A SILVER BALL PIERCED THROUGH THE
MIDDLE OF HER TONGUE STANDING BEHIND THE COUNTER:

TONGUE GIRL: Next in line, please.=A0

ME:=A0Hi.

TONGUE GIRL: Welcome to Starbucks. How may I help you?

ME: I'd like a cup of coffee, please.

TONGUE GIRL: What size, sir?

ME: I'll take a large, I guess.

TONGUE GIRL: We don't have a large, sir.=A0

ME: Whatever. A medium is fine.

TONGUE GIRL: We don't have a medium, sir.

ME: Does your coffee come in a cup?

TONGUE GIRL: Yes sir. Would you like a tall, a grande or a venti?

ME: Vini, vidi, vici?

TONGUE GIRL: Tall, grande or venti?

ME: You're looking at me like I'm supposed to know what you're saying.

TONGUE GIRL: Here at Starbucks, a tall is a small.

ME: I do not want green eggs and ham.

TONGUE: The grande is our medium-sized drink. And the venti is our
large, 20-ounce drink.

ME: So the tall -- which sounds big -- is actually small. The grande --
which sounds grand -- is bigger than the tall but not quite the
biggest. And the venti, which doesn't sound tall or grand, is actually
the tallest and grandest of them all. Do I have that right?

TONGUE GIRL: That's correct. Venti is our largest cup of coffee, sir.

ME: You have to admit this is a little confusing.

TONGUE GIRL: Not at all, sir. Tall, grande, venti.=A0

ME: If I walked into McDonald's and asked for a grande cup of coffee,
would they know what I was talking about?

TONGUE GIRL: No sir.=A0

ME: Burger King?

TONGUE GIRL: No sir.

ME: Denny's?

TONGUE GIRL: No sir.

ME: Boston Market?

TONGUE GIRL: Do they serve coffee at Boston Market?

ME: I have no idea.

TONGUE GIRL: Tall, grande, venti. It's not that hard, sir.

ME: For a zillion years, a large cup of coffee has been called "a large
cup of coffee." Why does it have to change now? Why is this the only
place on earth where a large cup of coffee isn't called a large cup of
coffee, but instead it's called a venti cup of coffee?

TONGUE GIRL: Because here at Starbucks, it's called a venti cup of
coffee.

ME:=A0 I see. Well then, I'll have a venti cup of coffee.

MEANWHILE=85

A GUY WITH A PURPLE MOWHAWK AND A NOSE RING IS ALSO STANDING BEHIND THE
COUNTER NEXT TO THE GIRL WITH THE SHAVED HEAD, THREE EARRINGS IN HER
LEFT EAR, TWO IN HER RIGHT AND A SILVER BALL PIERCED THROUGH THE MIDDLE
OF HER TONGUE. HE'S HELPING PEOPLE IN THE LINE NEXT TO ME.

MOWHAWK GUY:=A0May I help the next person in line?

THE GIRL IN THE LINE NEXT TO ME STEPS UP.

GIRL: Yes, I'd like a nonfat decaf tall Macchiato, double shot of
espresso, extra whip in a venti cup, please.

THE MOWHAWK GUY TURNS AND SHOUTS TO THE ASIAN GIRL WITH THE PIERCED
EYELID WHO'S RUNNING ALL THE MACHINERY.

MOWHAWK GUY: I need a non-D Mach, espresso squared, twin whip in a
venti!

PIERCED-EYELID ASIAN GIRL: Coming up!

I TURN TO THE GIRL IN THE LINE NEXT TO ME.

ME:=A0What did you order?

GIRL: A nonfat decaf tall Macchiato, double shot of espresso, extra
whip in a venti cup.

ME: I know. I mean, what is that?

GIRL: It's a nonfat decaf tall Macchiato, double shot of espresso,
extra whip in a venti cup.

I GET THE "YOU ARE SO RETARDED" LOOK.

ME: E pluribus unum?

GIRL: What?

MEANWHILE=85

TONGUE GIRL: So what kind of coffee would you like, sir?

ME:=A0 Oh, just a regular coffee is fine.

THE TONGUE GIRL STARES AT ME.

ME:=A0 There's no such thing as regular coffee at Starbucks, is there?

TONGUE GIRL: Well, what kind of coffee do you like?

ME:=A0Hot.

TONGUE GIRL: Mild, smooth or bold?

ME: Yes.

TONGUE GIRL: Sir, here at Starbucks, we strive to offer an eclectic
taste of coffees to our guests.

ME: I'm a guest?

TONGUE GIRL: Yes, sir.

ME: I know you don't want to hear this, but I just want a large cup of
coffee.

TONGUE GIRL: Sir, all of our coffees are listed on the menu board
behind me.

ME: I've never seen a coffee menu before. Is it like, appetizers:
coffee. Main course: coffee. Dessert: coffee. Hey, try our special of
the day: coffee.

TONGUE GIRL: Our menu features all of the coffee and specialty drink
options we offer our guests.

ME: Guests like me.

TONGUE GIRL: Exactly. For example, we have a mild Colombia Narino
Supreme, A Lightnote Blend, our Organic Shade Grown Mexico or
Kona. Or, you could try one of our smooth flavors such as Arabian
Mocha Java, Espresso Roast and Yukon Blend.

ME: I had no idea yukon make coffee in Alaska.

TONGUE GIRL: Excuse me?

ME: Nothing. I'm just amusing myself.

TONGUE GIRL: And our bold flavors are Gulf Coast Blend, Komodo Dragon
Blend, Sumatra, Sulawesi and Ethiopia Sidamo.

ME: Do they make a decaf Ethiopian Skinny?

TONGUE GIRL: Excuse me?

ME: Nothing. I'm just amusing myself.

TONGUE GIRL: Also, our flavor of the day is Pumpkin Spice.

ME:=A0 No seeds?

TONGUE GIRL: No seeds.

ME: Is there a face carved out of the side of the cup?

TONGUE GIRL:=A0 No.

MEANWHILE=85.

THE ASIAN GIRL WITH THE PIERCED EYELID HOLDS UP A DRINK SHE JUST MADE.

PIERCED-EYELID ASIAN GIRL: I have a nonfat decaf tall Macchiato, double
shot of espresso, extra whip in a venti cup.

THE GIRL WHO WAS IN LINE NEXT TO ME: That's mine.=A0

I TURN TO THE GIRL.

ME:=A0Enjoy your drink. And writ of habeus corpus.

SHE LEAVES WITHOUT SAYING GOODBYE.

MEANWHILE=85

I TURN TO THE OLD, NORMAL LOOKING GUY IN THE LINE NEXT TO ME.=A0

ME: Is it me, or are the people in this place a little crazy?

OLD GUY: Uh huh.

THE MOWHAWK GUY BEHIND THE COUNTER SPEAKS.

MOWHAWK GUY:

May I help the next person in line, please?

THE OLD, NORMAL LOOKING GUY IN THE LINE NEXT TO ME STEPS UP.

OLD GUY:=A0 Yes, I'll take a short non-fat Caffe Latte with no foam and a
shot of Hazelnut.=A0

THE MOWHAWK GUY SHOUTS TO THE ASIAN GIRL WITH THE PIERCED EYELID.

MOWHAWK GUY: I need a short no fat/foam latte with a nut!

PIERCED-EYELID ASIAN GIRL: Coming up.

I TURN TO THE OLD GUY.

ME: You're one of them, aren't you?

THE OLD GUY LOOKS STRAIGHT AHEAD.

Andy Hill

"TomKan" wrote:
Well, maybe not a rip-off but making it necessary to pitch a perfectly
good Mr. Coffee BL 4 coffe brewer. Plus I have two carafes for it. The
lighted on/off switch pops out. There are four wires that push on to
the back of it. This morning when I turned it on, the switch fell
apart. Simple fix, get new switch, push on four wires, pop switch back
into coffee maker.
NOPE! No replacement parts that have to be wired in are sold.
Yeah, I know I could replace the switch with an after market switch,
but having the on light is handy. This Mr. Coffee doesn't have an
automatic shut-off on it, so this makes a light necessary.
You'd think that the simplicity of installing a new switch would make
it a replacement part.

Lighted 120V switches are pretty common...Radio Shack if nothing else. It'll
look like a hack, but it'll be an operational hack.

Had a similar experience trying to replace a switch on a Shopvac. Trivial to
replace, but trying to find a suitable replacement was like pulling teeth, since
the part wasn't available from the Shopvac folks.
HeyBub

TomKan wrote:
Yeah, no coffee is worth about $10-15 a pound. Starbucks goes for
about this.
My wife tells me how good Starbuck's Coffee is. I decided to try a
cup.

THERE'S A TWENTYISH-YEAR-OLD GIRL WITH A SHAVED HEAD, THREE EARRINGS
IN HER LEFT EAR, TWO IN HER RIGHT AND A SILVER BALL PIERCED THROUGH
THE MIDDLE OF HER TONGUE STANDING BEHIND THE COUNTER:

TONGUE GIRL: Next in line, please.

ME:Hi.

TONGUE GIRL: Welcome to Starbucks. How may I help you?

ME: I'd like a cup of coffee, please.

[...]

My first visit to Starbucks took place about a month ago.

STARBUCKS PERSON: Yes, may I help you.

ME: I'd like a cup of Folger's Instant coffee.

SP: We don't have that.

ME: Okay, give me what you've got that's closest to it.

HeyBub

Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:
TomKan wrote:
Turtle, you're 100% correct! The part plus shipping/handling* would
probably be a ten spot. I don't have to pry my wallet open with a
crowbar, but I do have to find a place that will sell me another Mr.
Coffee 4 cup coffee brewer for $9.95.

Try some Gevalia coffee and get a free coffee maker. The coffee is
damned good and you can cancel immediately if you don't want to
spring for it. You still get to keep the coffee maker.

http://www.gevalia.com

Do NOT ever buy Gevalia coffee. Gevalia is an unrepentant spammer.

Google: gevalia + spam yields 36,000 entries, the first of which is:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7602542/

"A small California Internet service provider has sued Kraft Foods Inc.,
alleging the firm is responsible for thousands of illegal spam messages.
Hypertouch.com founder Joe Wagner said his company has in the past 12 months
received 8,500 copies of an e-mail pitching Kraft's high-end coffee
subscription service, Gevalia..."

Rob Mills

I've found over the years that a $15 coffee maker seems to last just as long
as a $60 coffee maker. I buy the $15 el-cheapo that has no bells and
whistles and chunk it the first time it sputters. RM ~

PanHandler

"TomKan" wrote in message
oups.com...
Well, maybe not a rip-off but making it necessary to pitch a perfectly
good Mr. Coffee BL 4 coffe brewer. Plus I have two carafes for it. The
lighted on/off switch pops out. There are four wires that push on to
the back of it. This morning when I turned it on, the switch fell
apart. Simple fix, get new switch, push on four wires, pop switch back
into coffee maker.
NOPE! No replacement parts that have to be wired in are sold.
Yeah, I know I could replace the switch with an after market switch,
but having the on light is handy. This Mr. Coffee doesn't have an
automatic shut-off on it, so this makes a light necessary.
You'd think that the simplicity of installing a new switch would make
it a replacement part.

Go to a local Goodwill or Salvation Army, etc. and look for an old used
maker for $3 and get your switch out of it. Keep the rest of it for spares.

Jeff Wisnia

TomKan wrote:
snipped

I notice you have ..... (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE).... on your post.
Can you tell me what this means? Particularly the '57 part.

Your having to ask that question explains why you aren't challenged to
spend three or four hours of your time engineering and fabricating a
clever way of installing a separate pilot lamp onto your $10 coffee
maker. G

But, since you had to ask; "Brass Rat" is what my college's school ring
has long been referred to, because the colors of brass and gold are
similar and the school's mascot, a beaver (which looks sort of rat like)
is located on its top where other school's rings usually have a
gemstone. Alumni sometimes identify themselves as "Brass Rats".

See:

http://www-tech.mit.edu/V123/N7/7ringpremier.7n.html

The '57 can be calculated backwards from my 50th college reunion which
is coming up in two years.

I'll let you figure out the rest...

Have a happy holiday weekend guys,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Mortimer Schnerd, RN

TomKan wrote:
THE OLD, NORMAL LOOKING GUY IN THE LINE NEXT TO ME STEPS UP.

OLD GUY: Yes, I'll take a short non-fat Caffe Latte with no foam and a
shot of Hazelnut.

That's why I'm afraid to go into places like that. Not only that, the one time
I tried their coffee, it tasted burnt to me. I'd rather drink the hospital
coffee. At least I know it's fresh.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Luke

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 22:48:24 GMT, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN"
wrote:

TomKan wrote:
THE OLD, NORMAL LOOKING GUY IN THE LINE NEXT TO ME STEPS UP.

OLD GUY: Yes, I'll take a short non-fat Caffe Latte with no foam and a
shot of Hazelnut.

That's why I'm afraid to go into places like that. Not only that, the one time
I tried their coffee, it tasted burnt to me. I'd rather drink the hospital
coffee. At least I know it's fresh.

Because Starbucks' coffee *is* burnt. It's way overroasted to hide
not-so-good beans that have been allowed to stale. There's a reason
Starbucks mostly sells coffee *drinks*, not straight Americanos or
espressos. I doubt the hospital coffee you had was fresh either. None
that I've had has been fresh, or particularly good. But at least it
was worth the price, usually free ;-).

--
Luke
"We’ve had no evidence that Saddam Hussein was involved with the
-- George W. Bush, September 17, 2003
Tim Fischer

If you can make this work, you'll have a digital clock & timer as well. And
it's only $5:

http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bi...T-3&type=store

-Tim

John Willis

On 30 Jun 2005 14:16:52 -0700, "TomKan" scribbled
this interesting note:

Yeah, no coffee is worth about $10-15 a pound. Starbucks goes for
about this.
My wife tells me how good Starbuck's Coffee is. I decided to try a cup.

In Petaluma, California once, just visiting, mind you, we saw a bumper
sticker put out by a local Mom&Pop style coffee shop:
"Friends don't let Friends go to Starbucks"

Let that be a lesson to you...

--
John Willis
(Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)
PaPaPeng

On 30 Jun 2005 14:16:52 -0700, "TomKan" wrote:

THERE'S A TWENTYISH-YEAR-OLD GIRL WITH A SHAVED HEAD, THREE EARRINGS IN
HER LEFT EAR, TWO IN HER RIGHT AND A SILVER BALL PIERCED THROUGH THE
MIDDLE OF HER TONGUE STANDING BEHIND THE COUNTER:

I'd love to see the Frasier brothers meet this lot.
HeyBub

TomKan wrote:
Yeah, no coffee is worth about $10-15 a pound. Starbucks goes for
about this.
My wife tells me how good Starbuck's Coffee is. I decided to try a
cup.

THERE'S A TWENTYISH-YEAR-OLD GIRL WITH A SHAVED HEAD, THREE EARRINGS
IN HER LEFT EAR, TWO IN HER RIGHT AND A SILVER BALL PIERCED THROUGH
THE MIDDLE OF HER TONGUE STANDING BEHIND THE COUNTER:

She: Next in line please.

Me: Would you mind showing me what else you have pierced?

HeyBub

TomKan wrote:
When you buy a product for $9.95 ........................

____Reply Separator_____

Turtle, you're 100% correct! The part plus shipping/handling* would
probably be a ten spot. I don't have to pry my wallet open with a
crowbar, but I do have to find a place that will sell me another Mr.
Coffee 4 cup coffee brewer for $9.95.

* That handling charge is the big ticket item. Now I know where the
expression "Boy was I handled!" originated!!

Rewire the thing by-passing the switch. Plug the pot into a timer.

C & M

Tom, the same size issue came up the first and last time I ordered from PaPa
John Pizza. I ordered a large and paid for a large but when the pizza was
placed on the counter it was a medium. Their large is everyone elses medium
size. Their sizing is medium, large and extr-large. They said that I could
wait for another to be made -grrrr. I said that I would never be back and
that was a few years ago. Shysters!!!!!!!!

"TomKan" wrote in message
oups.com...
Yeah, no coffee is worth about $10-15 a pound. Starbucks goes for
about this.
My wife tells me how good Starbuck's Coffee is. I decided to try a cup.

THERE'S A TWENTYISH-YEAR-OLD GIRL WITH A SHAVED HEAD, THREE EARRINGS IN
HER LEFT EAR, TWO IN HER RIGHT AND A SILVER BALL PIERCED THROUGH THE
MIDDLE OF HER TONGUE STANDING BEHIND THE COUNTER:

SNIP

TomKan wrote:
Yeah, no coffee is worth about $10-15 a pound. Starbucks goes for
about this.
My wife tells me how good Starbuck's Coffee is. I decided to try a cup.

THERE'S A TWENTYISH-YEAR-OLD GIRL WITH A SHAVED HEAD, THREE EARRINGS IN
HER LEFT EAR, TWO IN HER RIGHT AND A SILVER BALL PIERCED THROUGH THE
MIDDLE OF HER TONGUE STANDING BEHIND THE COUNTER:

TONGUE GIRL: Next in line, please.?

ME:?Hi.

[...]

ME:? I see. Well then, I'll have a venti cup of coffee.

MEANWHILE?

A GUY WITH A PURPLE MOWHAWK AND A NOSE RING IS ALSO STANDING BEHIND THE
COUNTER NEXT TO THE GIRL WITH THE SHAVED HEAD, THREE EARRINGS IN HER
LEFT EAR, TWO IN HER RIGHT AND A SILVER BALL PIERCED THROUGH THE MIDDLE
OF HER TONGUE. HE'S HELPING PEOPLE IN THE LINE NEXT TO ME.

MOWHAWK GUY:?May I help the next person in line?

THE GIRL IN THE LINE NEXT TO ME STEPS UP.

GIRL: Yes, I'd like a nonfat decaf tall Macchiato, double shot of
espresso, extra whip in a venti cup, please.

THE MOWHAWK GUY TURNS AND SHOUTS TO THE ASIAN GIRL WITH THE PIERCED
EYELID WHO'S RUNNING ALL THE MACHINERY.

MOWHAWK GUY: I need a non-D Mach, espresso squared, twin whip in a
venti!

PIERCED-EYELID ASIAN GIRL: Coming up!

I TURN TO THE GIRL IN THE LINE NEXT TO ME.

ME:?What did you order?

GIRL: A nonfat decaf tall Macchiato, double shot of espresso, extra
whip in a venti cup.

ME: I know. I mean, what is that?

GIRL: It's a nonfat decaf tall Macchiato, double shot of espresso,
extra whip in a venti cup.

I GET THE "YOU ARE SO RETARDED" LOOK.

ME: E pluribus unum?

GIRL: What?

MEANWHILE?

TONGUE GIRL: So what kind of coffee would you like, sir?

ME:? Oh, just a regular coffee is fine.

THE TONGUE GIRL STARES AT ME.

ME:? There's no such thing as regular coffee at Starbucks, is there?

TONGUE GIRL: Well, what kind of coffee do you like?

ME:?Hot.

[...]

ME:? No seeds?

TONGUE GIRL: No seeds.

ME: Is there a face carved out of the side of the cup?

TONGUE GIRL:? No.

MEANWHILE?.

THE ASIAN GIRL WITH THE PIERCED EYELID HOLDS UP A DRINK SHE JUST MADE.

PIERCED-EYELID ASIAN GIRL: I have a nonfat decaf tall Macchiato, double
shot of espresso, extra whip in a venti cup.

THE GIRL WHO WAS IN LINE NEXT TO ME: That's mine.?

I TURN TO THE GIRL.

ME:?Enjoy your drink. And writ of habeus corpus.

SHE LEAVES WITHOUT SAYING GOODBYE.

MEANWHILE?

I TURN TO THE OLD, NORMAL LOOKING GUY IN THE LINE NEXT TO ME.?

ME: Is it me, or are the people in this place a little crazy?

OLD GUY: Uh huh.

THE MOWHAWK GUY BEHIND THE COUNTER SPEAKS.

MOWHAWK GUY:

May I help the next person in line, please?

THE OLD, NORMAL LOOKING GUY IN THE LINE NEXT TO ME STEPS UP.

OLD GUY:? Yes, I'll take a short non-fat Caffe Latte with no foam and a
shot of Hazelnut.?

THE MOWHAWK GUY SHOUTS TO THE ASIAN GIRL WITH THE PIERCED EYELID.

MOWHAWK GUY: I need a short no fat/foam latte with a nut!

PIERCED-EYELID ASIAN GIRL: Coming up.

I TURN TO THE OLD GUY.

ME: You're one of them, aren't you?

THE OLD GUY LOOKS STRAIGHT AHEAD.

Tom, Go out and get yourself a nice, reasonable priced faberware drip.
At the local grocer pick out a bag of Eight O'Clock dark roast in the
brownish colored bag. Grind it yourself there in store, Check out while
the cashier smells the bag and comments on how good thatcoffee must be,
go home and brew away. Best coffee at a good price and beats Starbuck's
hands down.