toller

Default Any value to dead "cordless" batteries?!

Somebody on ebay is selling 2 18v Dewalt batteries that will not hold any
charge. 4 people have bid them up to $10.

I know you can have batteries rebuilt, but could it possibly be worthwhile
to buy them (with shipping) for that purpose? Or is there another use I am
unaware of for dead batteries? I may go borrow some from a recycling center
and put em up.

Jim Yanik

"toller" wrote in
:

Somebody on ebay is selling 2 18v Dewalt batteries that will not hold
any charge. 4 people have bid them up to $10.

I know you can have batteries rebuilt, but could it possibly be
worthwhile to buy them (with shipping) for that purpose? Or is there
another use I am unaware of for dead batteries? I may go borrow some
from a recycling center and put em up.

Perhaps they believe they can cannabalize one pack's cells to repair the
other one.

Then again,they may have auction fever.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Stormin Mormon

I've lost enough money on Ebay, I wouldn't bid a nickel.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"toller" wrote in message
Somebody on ebay is selling 2 18v Dewalt batteries that will not hold any
charge. 4 people have bid them up to $10.

I know you can have batteries rebuilt, but could it possibly be worthwhile
to buy them (with shipping) for that purpose? Or is there another use I am
unaware of for dead batteries? I may go borrow some from a recycling center
and put em up.

Edwin Pawlowski

"toller" wrote in message
Somebody on ebay is selling 2 18v Dewalt batteries that will not hold any
charge. 4 people have bid them up to $10.

I know you can have batteries rebuilt, but could it possibly be worthwhile
to buy them (with shipping) for that purpose? Or is there another use I
am unaware of for dead batteries? I may go borrow some from a recycling
center and put em up.

Spare cases for rebuilding is my guess. Primecell will rebuild them with
ni-cads for $48 or with NIMH for $72 New batteries are about $65 or so.
Toss in shipping and not a big savings.

JimL

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 23:01:24 GMT, "toller" wrote:

Somebody on ebay is selling 2 18v Dewalt batteries that will not hold any
charge. 4 people have bid them up to $10.

I know you can have batteries rebuilt, but could it possibly be worthwhile
to buy them (with shipping) for that purpose? Or is there another use I am
unaware of for dead batteries? I may go borrow some from a recycling center
and put em up.

I've repaired several. I canabalized one pack that had 15 cells.
Two of those cells were bad and I tossed those. I see that I have 9
cells left, so I've used these to repair 4 other cells in other
battery packs.

Usually, only one cell is really bad in a battery pack when it
quits. The way I check them is try to charge the defective pack and
then wait an hour or two and measure the voltage with a digital
multimeter. If it is below 1.1 volt then replace it.

Jim Yanik

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in
:

I've lost enough money on Ebay, I wouldn't bid a nickel.

All four of my Ebay purchases have been successful.
I have not had a single non-shipment.
Do you check the seller ratings?

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
toller

"JimL" wrote in message
[...]

That makes sense; but I am not sure it makes sense to buy dead batteries to
do it.

No

What you supposedly get, one your done, is a better battery than the
original. Plus, NIMH is better than most NiCad and will last longer (Battery
lasts longer not run time) I think you may also get a large MiAh
(spelling?)which means longer runtime.

I had one Milwalkee 18v done by them w/o problems. I have not compared it to
a factory battery though. I am expecting to get back 2 Porter Cable 14.4v
upgraded to NiMH any day now. Cheaper than replacing in the PC case!

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
. ..

"toller" wrote in message
Somebody on ebay is selling 2 18v Dewalt batteries that will not hold any
charge. 4 people have bid them up to $10.

I know you can have batteries rebuilt, but could it possibly be
worthwhile to buy them (with shipping) for that purpose? Or is there
another use I am unaware of for dead batteries? I may go borrow some
from a recycling center and put em up.

Spare cases for rebuilding is my guess. Primecell will rebuild them with
ni-cads for $48 or with NIMH for $72 New batteries are about $65 or so.
Toss in shipping and not a big savings.

Jim Yanik

"toller" wrote in
:

"JimL" wrote in message
[...]

There are TONS of crap sold on Ebay that make no sense to buy!
One stripper sold one of her BREAST IMPLANTS,and got more than $60,000
bucks for it,and then there's the toasted cheese sandwich with the image of
JC on it....

People sell dead hard drives by the box,too.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
JimL

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 17:27:07 GMT, "toller" wrote:

"JimL" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Certaintly not, but from my experience, you are buying 14 good
batteries and 1 dead battery with eack pack you buy.

Stormin Mormon

No, I don't check seller ratings. What I've had delivered has been one no
show, and many of the other things have been broken, or not worth the money
when you figure in shipping.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Jim Yanik" . wrote in message
.. .
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in
:

I've lost enough money on Ebay, I wouldn't bid a nickel.

All four of my Ebay purchases have been successful.
I have not had a single non-shipment.
Do you check the seller ratings?

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
at
kua.net

Doug Miller

In article , "Stormin Mormon" wrote:
No, I don't check seller ratings.

Then you have nobody to blame but yourself.

--
Regards,

Jim Yanik

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in
:

No, I don't check seller ratings.

They are a very good clue to reliability and honesty of the seller.
Same goes for the comments that are collected from satisfied or unsatisfied
buyers,on each seller.

What I've had delivered has been one
no show, and many of the other things have been broken, or not worth
the money when you figure in shipping.

Yes,you do have to shop wisely and keep an eye on shipping charges.
I noticed that when I was checking out cat-back exhaust systems.
Shipping equalled or exceeded the cost of the item in many cases,far more
than what was necessary.

And I have lots of experience that many people are clueless in packing
something valuable for shipping,including many of these MailBox type of
stores.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

You need to watch what you buy and from whom.

I have over 250 successful transactions. I only got
screwed once for an item that didnt show. I contacted
Paypal and they got my money back.

I've also sold a bunch of stuff on there too. Really cant
complain about any of it. Some of the stuff I sold was headed
for the trash but someone out there wanted it and I got some
money out of it.

Tom

Duane Bozarth

Stormin Mormon wrote:

No, I don't check seller ratings. ...

Well, if one doesn't use tools available...

I do (check) religiously (so to speak) and haven't ever had a bad
experience. Any reputable seller will give shipping const assurance and
it's easy enough to facotr that cost into the max you're willing to
bid...

Best buy so far was $5k for a 40-ft JLG boom lift that's been a
life-saver on the barn roof, much else...

JimL

On 13 Jun 2005 15:52:40 GMT, Jim Yanik . wrote:

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in
:

I've lost enough money on Ebay, I wouldn't bid a nickel.

All four of my Ebay purchases have been successful.
I have not had a single non-shipment.
Do you check the seller ratings?

I had a guy non ship, but was afraid to leave a negative seller
rating.

You see, when you do that, the seller turn around and makes up some
lie and leaves a negative rating on you.

Ebay lets them do it, so don't ever leave negative ratings on
someone.

Olaf

"JimL" wrote in message
On 13 Jun 2005 15:52:40 GMT, Jim Yanik . wrote:

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in
:

I've lost enough money on Ebay, I wouldn't bid a nickel.

All four of my Ebay purchases have been successful.
I have not had a single non-shipment.
Do you check the seller ratings?

I had a guy non ship, but was afraid to leave a negative seller
rating.

You see, when you do that, the seller turn around and makes up some
lie and leaves a negative rating on you.

Ebay lets them do it, so don't ever leave negative ratings on
someone.

I wouldn't hesitate. I once got retaliatory feedback from a ****ty seller.
You can respond to feedback and offer to explain if other ebayers want to
inquire. If you only have negative feedback that is obviously retaliatory it
shows.

And one of the Judge Judy wannabes awarded a defamation settlement against
an ebay buyer who intentionally left false feedback with the intent to
effect future sales of the seller. They can't get too carried away with
false negative feedback.

I did complain to ebay about the retaliatory feedback.... did absolutely NO
good. So I responded to the feedback.

HeyBub

Jim Yanik wrote:
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in
:

No, I don't check seller ratings.

They are a very good clue to reliability and honesty of the seller.
Same goes for the comments that are collected from satisfied or
unsatisfied buyers,on each seller.

Heh! Last weekend a seller with a positive rating of 37 put up a high-end
laptop for a one-day auction. Checking his ratings showed that all were from
him being a buyer for items under $5.00 (lawn gnomes, figurines, paperback
books, etc.).

He evidently thought a good positive rating would influence buyers too.

Stormin Mormon

Ignorance. It's a terrible thing. Some folks overcome it, and others do not.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Doug Miller" wrote in message