toller

"JimL" wrote in message
On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 23:01:24 GMT, "toller" wrote:

Somebody on ebay is selling 2 18v Dewalt batteries that will not hold any
charge. 4 people have bid them up to $10.

I know you can have batteries rebuilt, but could it possibly be worthwhile
to buy them (with shipping) for that purpose? Or is there another use I
am
unaware of for dead batteries? I may go borrow some from a recycling
center
and put em up.

I've repaired several. I canabalized one pack that had 15 cells.
Two of those cells were bad and I tossed those. I see that I have 9
cells left, so I've used these to repair 4 other cells in other
battery packs.

Usually, only one cell is really bad in a battery pack when it
quits. The way I check them is try to charge the defective pack and
then wait an hour or two and measure the voltage with a digital
multimeter. If it is below 1.1 volt then replace it.

That makes sense; but I am not sure it makes sense to buy dead batteries to
do it.