Josh

"No" wrote

The Blade install is opposite for the two saws, backwards if you will.

Actually, in the trades if you mount a blade backwards, it's mounted
backwards. A typical configuration when doing retro work and cutting
aluminum/vinyl siding.

G Henslee

Josh wrote:
"No" wrote

The Blade install is opposite for the two saws, backwards if you will.

Actually, in the trades if you mount a blade backwards, it's mounted
backwards. A typical configuration when doing retro work and cutting
aluminum/vinyl siding.

That's kind of where I was going when I questioned it...
Jeff Dantzler

Okay, I've got a burning question:

For those that use and love their skil 77 worm drive
saws,

How often do you change the gear oil?

I bought a garage sale skil 77 for $25 and got it running
for another $25 plus a decent blade. The guy at the repair
shop where I bought the parts said not to worry about the oil.

For what it's worth, I've got that old skil and one of the
fancy lightweight Bosch worm drives. They are both made in
the same factory now (in the USA). They both work great.
They are heavy, but I am young.

One added benefit of the worm drive saws is that you can buy
a special metal cutting blade and use them to cut through a
steel I-beam. The blades are rather expensive though.
Sidewinders spin too fast and don't have the grunt to do this.

Jeff Dantzler
Seattle, WA
Phil Scott

"No" wrote in message
The worm drives are better build and have more torque. The

Skill 77 , IIRC,
is the standard here. Bosch has a good worm drive with a top

mount handle. I
own it and like it fine. I also own a Porter cable

sidewinder which is also
great. The PC saw took a 1 1/2 story fall off a roof a

couple of weeks ago
and is still going strong!

My 25year old craftsman 3/8 drill sank with a house boat into
salt water for two weeks... I dried it out and it still works
fine.

The chinese jobbies suffered vibrating bearings after than and
had to be euthanized...but were OK electrically...same with
the Riobi table saw and router..

Phil Scott

The Worm drives the blade is installed backwards and also

require a blade
with a knockout. Not a problem really, they are everywhere.

Only problem is
once the knockout is punched you cant use the blade on a

sidewinder. Also,
the cheapie blades do not have the knockout. Not sure if the

Skill uses the
knockout blades. The Bosch does.

Here is a link to my Bosch worm drive saw (with top handle

like a
sidewinder)

http://www.boschtools.com/tools/tool...=54930&I=55122

Now - Put the circ saw discussion aside. For your project I

would rather use
a SCMS with a stand.

There I use a Makita ls1013 with a TrackRack. IMO a miter

saw has about 10x
more utility with a good stand.
See http://www.tracrac.com/workstation/workstation.html

Disclaimer - I am not affiliated in anyway with the above

mentioned products
or companies.

"Ken Moiarty" wrote in message
I'm soon to begin constructing a ground level (i.e. 14"

above ground)
cedar deck off the back of my house, and so right now I'm

in the process
of determining all that I will need to purchase before I

begin, including
a few new power tools. For example, the circular saw I

have is okay for
occasional use but I dread using it for a whole project,

so I want to buy
myself a considerably better one. Now, aside from

value-per-price
considerations, what should I look for in shopping for a

very-good to high
quality circular saw? And in particular, what should I

make of
"worm-drive" versus the more common, "side-winder", type

saws?

A couple of acquaintances of mine praise their worm-drives

as being
inherently superior in every way to the ordinary (i.e.

side-winder) type.
But I've noticed that these worm-drive saws are

comparatively heavier
(which might not be ergonominally advantageous, I don't

know). And the
position of the handles on these saws just looks (to my

minds eye, at
least) to be awkward to handle and perhaps not intended

for close,
precision or finishing work.

Of course, since I haven't actually ever used a worm-drive

saw, my
untested perceptions of it don't necessarily mean a thing.

Hence, I'm
posting this message in the hopes someone might

'enlighten' me in this
before I come to a decision what to buy. Thanks in

advance...

Ken

Searching for type of old floppy drive with HA13456AMP mjarven4 Electronics Repair 2 June 22nd 04 04:35 PM
Toronto area lumber? Pick Woodworking 4 November 20th 03 02:29 PM
What TYPE PC 557 is Amazon Shipping Fly-by-Night CC Woodworking 3 July 13th 03 03:56 PM
Rules for tools - current position - Circular saws, and still wondeing which one [email protected] UK diy 1 July 3rd 03 07:59 PM