Default Rules for tools - current position - Circular saws, and still wondeing which one

Gnube wrote:

Yes, that does seem to be the way to go - went for a freud 7 1/4"
1200W and one of their pro blades for fine cuts. I guess I'll have to
take a chance that it actually has a brake. Looks a tidy enough tool
to be honest, so it may, but I'll just be extra thoughtful about how I
use it if not. Also went for the Axminster Tools mitreboard to go with
it and hopefully keep things under a bit more control still. A pretty
fine solution all round for me hopefully. A careful blokes SCMS if you
like! ;O)

I'd be interested in your experiences with the mitre board as it looks
like a good idea and I'm thinking of buying one.

(Also anyone else who has one of course)

--
Chris Green )
Gnube

On 3 Jul 2003 11:01:08 GMT, wrote:

Gnube wrote:

Yes, that does seem to be the way to go - went for a freud 7 1/4"
1200W and one of their pro blades for fine cuts. I guess I'll have to
take a chance that it actually has a brake. Looks a tidy enough tool
to be honest, so it may, but I'll just be extra thoughtful about how I
use it if not. Also went for the Axminster Tools mitreboard to go with
it and hopefully keep things under a bit more control still. A pretty
fine solution all round for me hopefully. A careful blokes SCMS if you
like! ;O)

I'd be interested in your experiences with the mitre board as it looks
like a good idea and I'm thinking of buying one.

(Also anyone else who has one of course)

It's a great idea sure enough. The was a let down or two on opening
the box, however these are ONLY cosmetic, but it did annoy given how
avoidable these are in nature.

OK, first a fact, it is injection moulded polypropelyne. That said
this makes it tough as old boots in the same way skate boards are.

Sadly the moulds are in dire need of the attentions of a good tool
maker - I have in my time been a QC in an injection moulding shop, and
those shots would never have seen the outside of the factory on my
shift! There was flashing in places it showed and clearly should not
have been, like making bolt holes a bit tight, but nothing any DIY er
could not sort out in no time anyway, but my view is that at this
price, you should not be having to do that at all.

Assembly is really simple,and once you have followed the directions, a
first cut must be made in the somewhat rough sacrificial bed (a rather
ropey looking wooden plank in the slot provided, but since it's
immediately going to be ripped anyway for a cut reference line, it's
quality appearance wise is not that critical!) It's proportions were a
mil or two over length, but nothing dreadful and it held a fine edge
when first ripped, so it was clearly adequate if not to pleasing on
the eye.

In use it seems to make fine cuts in a straight line in the direction
of your choosing and setting. What's not to like?! ;O)

It states for saws of 7 /14" dia and over on the box, so make sure you
don't have one smaller! (I nearly did at one point too!)

There is an annoying quarter mm rock diagonally on the saw, but I have
not yet found out if this is the jig or the sole plate on the saw. It
does not make it's presence particularly felt on the finished work the
combination makes though.

Yes in the same situation I'd buy it again, but I will make others
based on it's dimensions for other tools etc, mostly for the utility
and partly for the satisfaction if I do manage to better it.

They got a retailers award (I can well imagine!) and they got a web
site -
http://www.macboard.qc.ca/ - not checked the prices round the
world yet, but I bet it's a good bit lower elsewhere, but just not
quite worth the hassle of personal import, you'd probably pay almost
what it costs at Axminster! (funny how that often happens!) ;O)

In Use 10/10 - does what it says

Presentation 4/10 - needs a tidy up in the qc area, which would
transform the product you pull out of the box.

Value 7/10 - ok, it works, it's not bargain basement, and could be
nicer for so little extra effort on makers part, try making that cut
when you don't have one! ;O)

Hope this helps

Take Care,
Gnube