Phisherman

Default gasoline can spout seal

I have a 5 gallon plastic gasoline can that I use to fill lawn mowers,
blowers, chipper/shredder, etc. The screw mechanism has a rubber ring
on the spout that is supposed to seal against the seat, but every time
I fill a tank a few drops (sometimes more) leak out. The rubber ring
has a slit on the inside that fits around the spout bottom to hold it
in place. Any fixes for this other than buy a new tank?
Edwin Pawlowski

"Phisherman" wrote in message
I have a 5 gallon plastic gasoline can that I use to fill lawn mowers,
blowers, chipper/shredder, etc. The screw mechanism has a rubber ring
on the spout that is supposed to seal against the seat, but every time
I fill a tank a few drops (sometimes more) leak out. The rubber ring
has a slit on the inside that fits around the spout bottom to hold it
in place. Any fixes for this other than buy a new tank?

Make a new gasket. Any good hardware store or industrial supply will have
gasket material. You probably already own a pair of scissors so you have
all the tools you need.

Pop

When I need a good seal for things like that, I get out
the GE Silicone II (not I). Squirt some in, finger it
nice and round to fill the area where you need a seal,
put cellophane tape over it, and put the cap back on
but not tightened the last half turn. Let set until it
cures, about two days to be certain.
Remove top, remove tape, you've got a perfectly
shaped seal now that seals great when you screw the cap
on all the way.
Only used it for gas one time, but it's on its third
season with no problems an ds6till nice and flexible.

FWIW,

Pop