James Bond

Default Quick Attic Ventilation Question

While calculating the number of soffit vents I am going to install in my
house, I am operating on the priciple that I should have equal intake
square footage (from the soffit vents to be installed) as exhaust. Now my
question is do my existing gable vents count as intake or exhaust? And
just to be sure I am using the right term, by gable vent I mean the two
triangular vents at each end of my house that are right below the peak of
the roof. It is my guess that after the installation of soffit vents that
these gable vents would function as exhaust, but I want to verify that.

TIA for any help.

James

James Bond wrote:
While calculating the number of soffit vents I am going to install in

my
house, I am operating on the priciple that I should have equal intake

square footage (from the soffit vents to be installed) as exhaust.

Now my
question is do my existing gable vents count as intake or exhaust?

And
just to be sure I am using the right term, by gable vent I mean the

two
triangular vents at each end of my house that are right below the

peak of
the roof. It is my guess that after the installation of soffit vents

that
these gable vents would function as exhaust, but I want to verify

that.

TIA for any help.

James

You might consider them as half and half for this exercise.
As an exercise in logic:
The gale end vents will probably act in various ways depending on wind
pressure.
Soffit and ridge vents would usually act consistently based on the
chimney principle.
The gable end vents, because they are large and in a vertical surface,
would act differently with different wind direction.

In any case, look at the Building Science Corporation web site for
discussion of venting.
This is researched material.
TB

BP

Complicated fluid dynamics.
At a layman's level, yes, they behave more like exhaust than intake in
greater than 50% of the cases. But, the way gable vents work is that air
blowing towards one vent creates positive air pressure and the air moving
away from the other vent creates negative pressure so one vent is intake and
the other is exhaust. Maybe on a perfectly calm day they would both exhaust.
Now a ridge vent work similarly. Air blowing over the top of the vent
creates a negative pressure area on one side of the vent that sucks the air
out of the attic. The replacement air is supposed to come from the soffit
vents, thus creating the cold air flow along the rafters that is the design
effect. But with the addition of gable vents this make up air will more
likely come from the gable vents as intake, not from the more distant soffit
vents. That is why it is recommended to do one or the other but not both
when it comes to attic venting.
And none of this is true all of the time. There are many more variables like
orientation of the house, pitch of the roof, design characteristics of each
of the vents- alone and in combination, and more. Confused? Join the club.

"James Bond" wrote in message
While calculating the number of soffit vents I am going to install in my
house, I am operating on the priciple that I should have equal intake
square footage (from the soffit vents to be installed) as exhaust. Now my
question is do my existing gable vents count as intake or exhaust? And
just to be sure I am using the right term, by gable vent I mean the two
triangular vents at each end of my house that are right below the peak of
the roof. It is my guess that after the installation of soffit vents that
these gable vents would function as exhaust, but I want to verify that.

TIA for any help.

James

Joseph Meehan

James Bond wrote:
While calculating the number of soffit vents I am going to install in
my house, I am operating on the priciple that I should have equal
intake square footage (from the soffit vents to be installed) as
exhaust. Now my question is do my existing gable vents count as
intake or exhaust? And just to be sure I am using the right term, by
gable vent I mean the two triangular vents at each end of my house
that are right below the peak of the roof. It is my guess that after
the installation of soffit vents that these gable vents would
function as exhaust, but I want to verify that.

TIA for any help.

James

It is really a complex issue. Most of the time (assuming they are
located high at the peak) they will act as exhaust. Depending on the wind,
temperature of air and deck temperature who knows at any given moment. On
occasion they can act as a short cut reducing ventilation.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

James Bond wrote:

...do my existing gable vents count as intake or exhaust?

"Exhaust," worst-case, on a still day, when 16.6Asqrt(HdT) cfm should flow
with equal vent area A ft^2 and height diff H feet and indoor-outdoor temp
diff dT (F).

Nick

A soffit vent is under the lower eaves, at the lowest point in the
attic. They can be either narrow and continuous or else individual
larger ones. Gable vents are on the ends of the attic, near the top.

Lil' Dave

See reply inserted-
"James Bond" wrote in message
While calculating the number of soffit vents I am going to install in my
house, I am operating on the priciple that I should have equal intake
square footage (from the soffit vents to be installed) as exhaust. Now my
question is do my existing gable vents count as intake or exhaust? And

Standalone gable vents serve both as supply and exhaust venting. They also
provide cross ventilation, especially if aided by the exterior wind
conditions. Adding soffit vents makes the equation less accurate. In that
case, they act more as exhaust since you're adding supply.

just to be sure I am using the right term, by gable vent I mean the two
triangular vents at each end of my house that are right below the peak of
the roof. It is my guess that after the installation of soffit vents that
these gable vents would function as exhaust, but I want to verify that.

TIA for any help.

Best attic vent system for warm climate areas, in my opinion, is a
continuous ridge vent for exhaust. Hardisoffit would serve as the supply
whereever soffit is used.

You need a minimum of 1" clearance between the attic ceiling insulation and
the sheathing for proper soffit supply ventilaiton. If this is blocked,
adding soffit vents is futile.

Gideon

Magnusface,

Some homes have soffits and others don't. Soffits exist
when the roof overhangs the house. Suppose that your
house has a gutter and downspouts on the front of your
house. If those gutters are flush with the front of your house,
then you have no soffits. If on the otherhand, the roof overhangs
the front of the house and your gutters are offset a foot or so
in front of the vertical surface of the front of your house, then you
have soffits.

Soffit vents are screen covered opening in the overhang area.
If you are on the ground looking up, then you will be looking up
at those oval or rectangular openings. Building a house with the
soffit overhang is more expensive than building one without. Hence,
many homes lack soffits.

Now move around to the side of your house which is shaped like
a triangle on top of a rectangle. The pointed area at the top of that
upper triangle is the gable area. Many homes have large louvered
openings in that gable area for attic ventilation. This should provide
a good (and free) cross ventilation of the attic.

Both types of venting are very useful and they provide good passive
(ie, energy free) attic venting. Many astute homeowners add soffits
to their homes when they need to add a new roof. This means that
the roof must be extended on two sides, but the increase in attic
venting is often worth the effort. Of course, good venting can still
be achieved without soffits. The killer situation is a home which has
no soffit venting and the only other attic venting is extremely undersized
gable venting. In that case, the roof sheathing (plywood) will often
be worthless after 30 years or so.

Gideon

===========

"James Bond" wrote in message
While calculating the number of soffit vents I am going to install in my
house, I am operating on the priciple that I should have equal intake
square footage (from the soffit vents to be installed) as exhaust. Now my
question is do my existing gable vents count as intake or exhaust? And
just to be sure I am using the right term, by gable vent I mean the two
triangular vents at each end of my house that are right below the peak of
the roof. It is my guess that after the installation of soffit vents that
these gable vents would function as exhaust, but I want to verify that.

TIA for any help.

James

MLD

"James Bond" wrote in message
While calculating the number of soffit vents I am going to install in my
house, I am operating on the priciple that I should have equal intake
square footage (from the soffit vents to be installed) as exhaust. Now

my
question is do my existing gable vents count as intake or exhaust? And
just to be sure I am using the right term, by gable vent I mean the two
triangular vents at each end of my house that are right below the peak

of
the roof. It is my guess that after the installation of soffit vents

that
these gable vents would function as exhaust, but I want to verify that.

TIA for any help.

James

Make sure that soffit vents and gable vents are compatible and can live
together. It's possible that they might counteract each other and/or
disrupt the intended air venting. They will interfere with each other if
you have a ridge vent or roof vents.
MLD

James Bond

Thanks to everyone for their input. Of course, I am now more confused
than ever.

So here is my exact situation. I have an older home in a warm, humid
climate (Charleston, SC). Currently, I have gable vents and 2 14" wind
turbines for ventilation. It is not enough as evidenced by extreme attic
temps in the summer and some curling shingles (especially on the western
end of the house, which is oriented such that its long axis is roughly NE
to SW).

I understand that ridge vents are a great option, but adding them to my
roof is cost prohibitive for me at the moment. My thought process was
that there is probably little air flow in the lower attic due to all the
current venting being up high. Thus, I thought soffit vents would be the
answer. It appears, however, that there is a possibility that I could
make the situation worse by doing so? Is that right? Should I install
soffit vents and block off one or both gable vents? Any further advice
would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,

James

"BP" wrote in
:

"James Bond" wrote in message
While calculating the number of soffit vents I am going to install in
my house, I am operating on the priciple that I should have equal
intake square footage (from the soffit vents to be installed) as
exhaust. Now my question is do my existing gable vents count as
intake or exhaust? And just to be sure I am using the right term, by
gable vent I mean the two triangular vents at each end of my house
that are right below the peak of the roof. It is my guess that after
the installation of soffit vents that these gable vents would
function as exhaust, but I want to verify that.

TIA for any help.

James

John Willis

On Mon, 23 May 2005 17:52:07 -0400, James Bond
scribbled this interesting note:

Thanks to everyone for their input. Of course, I am now more confused
than ever.

So here is my exact situation. I have an older home in a warm, humid
climate (Charleston, SC). Currently, I have gable vents and 2 14" wind
turbines for ventilation. It is not enough as evidenced by extreme attic
temps in the summer and some curling shingles (especially on the western
end of the house, which is oriented such that its long axis is roughly NE
to SW).

Composition asphalt shingles on the South and West sides of a house
(in the lower latitudes of the northern hemisphere) will always wear
faster than those on the other sides of the house because of the
exposure to the sun. This is not due to heat in the attic, rather the
solar radiation breaking down the organic compounds in the asphalt.

I understand that ridge vents are a great option, but adding them to my
roof is cost prohibitive for me at the moment. My thought process was
that there is probably little air flow in the lower attic due to all the
current venting being up high. Thus, I thought soffit vents would be the
answer. It appears, however, that there is a possibility that I could
make the situation worse by doing so? Is that right? Should I install
soffit vents and block off one or both gable vents? Any further advice
would be greatly appreciated.

I'd just install the additional soffit vents and be done with it. If,
on the other hand, you were to install ridge vents and soffit vents,
then you'd want to close off the gable vents because the ridge vents
draw from the source closest to their level. Or you could install a
thermostatically controlled power vent in one of the gable vents, on
the inside, that would force air through the attic and out the other
end of the house. There are many, many options.

TIA,

James

"BP" wrote in
:

"James Bond" wrote in message
While calculating the number of soffit vents I am going to install in
my house, I am operating on the priciple that I should have equal
intake square footage (from the soffit vents to be installed) as
exhaust. Now my question is do my existing gable vents count as
intake or exhaust? And just to be sure I am using the right term, by
gable vent I mean the two triangular vents at each end of my house
that are right below the peak of the roof. It is my guess that after
the installation of soffit vents that these gable vents would
function as exhaust, but I want to verify that.

TIA for any help.

James

--
John Willis
(Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)
Joseph Meehan

James Bond wrote:
[...]

That is right, but it is not common, in most case you will improve the
results. A good roofer (not all are good) can tell you quickly with a high
degree of accuracy.

"James Bond" wrote in message
While calculating the number of soffit vents I am going to install
in my house, I am operating on the priciple that I should have equal
intake square footage (from the soffit vents to be installed) as
exhaust. Now my question is do my existing gable vents count as
intake or exhaust? And just to be sure I am using the right term,
by gable vent I mean the two triangular vents at each end of my
house that are right below the peak of the roof. It is my guess
that after the installation of soffit vents that these gable vents
would function as exhaust, but I want to verify that.

TIA for any help.

James

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Oscar_Lives

"John Willis" wrote in message

I'd just install the additional soffit vents and be done with it. If,
on the other hand, you were to install ridge vents and soffit vents,
then you'd want to close off the gable vents because the ridge vents
draw from the source closest to their level.

WRONG. You can't have "too much" venting. Leave the gable vents open--
they will help.

MLD

"James Bond" wrote in message
[...]

Don't be too hasty with your answer. The following does not come from the
article that I first read but it does point out that there can be conflicts
if you have too much of a good thing. Basiically, what I get out of this is
that vented air will get it's source from the nearest opening (least
resistance) available. This means that if there are gable vents the flow
from the soffits will not be too effective. The first article had several
schematics that showed the air flow with different systems (gable, soffit
and one that had both). The system with the combination of the gable and
soffit acted principally as a gable only vented system. Recommendation was
to block of the gables if there are soffits. Pay your money and make your
choice--but do a bit more research first. Google roof vents, gable vents
etc.
MLD

Watch out for unintended consequences!
Murphy's law rears its head in the strangest places... your attic, for
instance. Who would think that beautiful powered ventilator might do
absolutely nothing to cool your attic? If you have lots of ventilation
already, adding a powered ventilator may be a waste of time and money.

This is especially true if you have a soffit-ridge vent system, the most
efficient natural ventilation system. Face it... ventilators are stupid
machines! They will draw air from wherever they can with the least effort.
This means that a ventilator will draw air from ridge vents, gable vents or
soffit vents. Fine. But if the fan draws much of its air from a nearby
gable or ridge vent, there is no benefit to anyone except the electric
company! So placement of the ventilator is essential... as well as careful
consideration of whether or not it is a wise investment in the first place

James Bond

Okay, so I see it is a very complicated issue. So for my (perhaps) last
question, is there some technique or resonably purchased or rented device
that allows me to assess how air is flowing in my attic now and after
installing soffit vents?

Again, thanks for all the very informative advice. Great group of people
around here. Since I now have this old home, I am guessing I will be
spending some time around here.

James

"MLD" wrote in news:aPHke.1315$5b.279@trndny04:

[...]

MLD

If there is a measurable amount of air flow then I guess with a lot of
patience and some way to generate smoke you might be able to make some kind
of observation. I can recall on a sand building contest someone made a
dragon and made smoke coming out of the nostrils by blowing out something
like baking powder using a bulb and plastic tubing.
MLD

"James Bond" wrote in message
[...]

John Willis

On Tue, 24 May 2005 01:54:31 GMT, "Oscar_Lives"
scribbled this interesting note:

"John Willis" wrote in message
.. .

I'd just install the additional soffit vents and be done with it. If,
on the other hand, you were to install ridge vents and soffit vents,
then you'd want to close off the gable vents because the ridge vents
draw from the source closest to their level.

WRONG. You can't have "too much" venting. Leave the gable vents open--
they will help.

Do a little more reading on the subject. While it is true that you
can't have too much properly designed ventilation, the key is
"properly designed."

For example, if you have ridge vents, it is best to close off all
other vents except the soffit vents, if you want air to be drawn in
from the soffits. Why? Has to do with fluid dynamics. There are plenty
of sites where you can read up on the issues involved.

Here's one that does a good job if discussing many of the factors
involved:
http://www.factsfacts.com/MyHomeRepair/ventilation.htm

Have a good read...

--
John Willis
(Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)

Oscar_Lives

"John Willis" wrote in message
On Tue, 24 May 2005 01:54:31 GMT, "Oscar_Lives"
scribbled this interesting note:

"John Willis" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

WRONG AGAIN. Use your head: The best vented attic would be a suspended
roof open on all sides.

You cannot have too many vents-- period. This "bypassing" that is talked
about (turbines with gables with power fans, etc.) is not harmful to proper
venting.

The key is to have AT LEAST THE MINIMUM REQUIRED VENTING at the soffits and
at the top. However, you cannot have "too much venting", and "bypassing" is
not a bad thing.

Oscar_Lives

"James Bond" wrote in message
[...]

WRONG. The Ultimate vented attic would be a suspended roof open on all
sides and with a huge hole in the top.

You cannot have TOO MANY vents.

MLD

[...]

You must be one of the types that listen but don't hear. No one said
anything that advocates minimizing the amount of ventilation. What is being
tossed around is the best "design solution" to maximizing the amount of
ventilation one can expect to get in an attic. In your comment "The best
vented attic would be a suspended
roof open on all sides"---So what, too simplistic and not an option in a
house so forget it. You apparently don't know anything about fluid
dynamics--air flow, pressure drop, resistance, path of least resistance
etc.. You have no idea what the air flow path will be, without an analysis
or experimentation, if you have more than one flow path. Think of an
electrical circuit with two or more parallel paths. The current (air flow)
will not be the same for each path unless they are all of equal resistance
(or do you want to dispute that too). If you take the time to do a bit of
reading (just goggle roof vents, or the like) you'll be lead to a number of
sources that cover the topic. What you'll learn is that you cannot
arbitrarily open up a bunch of holes and expect to get the best ventilation
setup. This has been well thought out and one conclusion is that gable
vents in parallel with soffit vents are not the optimum solution for a well
ventilated attic. Of course if you disagree, that's not a problem but do
more than blow your horn---provide some analysis, reference document or any
source of information that we can look at----gut feelings don't work when
you're trying to solve an engineering problem--and that's what this is
whether you recognize it or not.
MLD

Oscar_Lives

"MLD" wrote in message news:J80le.1327$Qd3.878@trndny01...

[...]

You can't handle the truth.

Even when the dreaded "bypassing" is occurring between two vents close to
each other, the attic is still being vented.

I stand by my statement that it is impossible to have "too many" vents.

MLD

"MLD" wrote in message

[...]

I've worked with people just like you---Guess what, they were always the
first ones laid off!!

Oscar_Lives

"MLD" wrote in message

[...]

I've worked with people like you. They were the ones who read their
horoscopes and asked for validation of their narrow-minded opinions from
strangers on newsgroups.

MLD

"MLD" wrote in message

[...]

Ooops, looks like I stuck a nerve. The truth shouldn't hurt unless it
ought to----BTW, where did you meet these people, in the unemployment line??

John Willis

On Wed, 25 May 2005 17:57:24 GMT, "Oscar_Lives"
scribbled this interesting note:

Even when the dreaded "bypassing" is occurring between two vents close to
each other, the attic is still being vented.

While true, this still begs the question: Is this the best venting
that can be obtained or is there a better design? Isn't it possible
that a better designed system may, just may have the same or fewer
vent openings, the same net free area, and do the job better?

I stand by my statement that it is impossible to have "too many" vents.

Thank you for your personal opinion.

--
John Willis
(Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)
Oscar_Lives

"MLD" wrote in message

[...]

"Arguing with someone on the internet is like winning in the Special
Olympics.....even if you win you are still retarded"

MLD

"MLD" wrote in message

[...]

Ambiguous comment--are you referring yourself? BTW, kind of curious at
this point--which number is larger--Your hat size or your IQ?

Attic Split System Air Conditioner Question: Outside Air From ? Robert11 Home Repair 2 April 24th 05 05:16 PM
Attic Ventilation Expert Needed - North NJ Area jeff Home Repair 11 March 12th 04 10:35 AM
A quick question. Ian UK diy 12 February 29th 04 10:34 AM
Quick question - double glazing - felt trim on sliding doors John Kelly UK diy 2 February 15th 04 10:15 PM
Quick skirting board question John Greenwood UK diy 5 November 10th 03 03:13 PM