MLD

"Oscar_Lives" wrote in message
news:BW8le.7495$PS3.6906@attbi_s22...

"MLD" wrote in message news:1B6le.12$zb.8@trndny06...

"Oscar_Lives" wrote in message
news:803le.7075$PS3.2169@attbi_s22...

"MLD" wrote in message

news:J80le.1327$Qd3.878@trndny01...

"Oscar_Lives" wrote in message
news:P2Ske.6500$Is4.5451@attbi_s21...

"John Willis" wrote in message
On Tue, 24 May 2005 01:54:31 GMT, "Oscar_Lives"

scribbled this interesting note:

"John Willis" wrote in message
. ..

I'd just install the additional soffit vents and be done with

it.
If,
on the other hand, you were to install ridge vents and soffit

vents,
then you'd want to close off the gable vents because the ridge

vents
draw from the source closest to their level.

WRONG. You can't have "too much" venting. Leave the gable vents
open--
they will help.

Do a little more reading on the subject. While it is true that you
can't have too much properly designed ventilation, the key is
"properly designed."

For example, if you have ridge vents, it is best to close off all
other vents except the soffit vents, if you want air to be drawn

in
from the soffits. Why? Has to do with fluid dynamics. There are

plenty
of sites where you can read up on the issues involved.

Here's one that does a good job if discussing many of the factors
involved:
http://www.factsfacts.com/MyHomeRepair/ventilation.htm

Have a good read...

--
John Willis

WRONG AGAIN. Use your head: The best vented attic would be a

suspended
roof open on all sides.

You cannot have too many vents-- period. This "bypassing" that is

talked
about (turbines with gables with power fans, etc.) is not harmful to
proper
venting.

The key is to have AT LEAST THE MINIMUM REQUIRED VENTING at the
soffits
and
at the top. However, you cannot have "too much venting", and

"bypassing"
is
not a bad thing.

You must be one of the types that listen but don't hear. No one said
anything that advocates minimizing the amount of ventilation. What

is
being
tossed around is the best "design solution" to maximizing the amount

of
ventilation one can expect to get in an attic. In your comment "The
best
vented attic would be a suspended
roof open on all sides"---So what, too simplistic and not an option

in
house so forget it. You apparently don't know anything about fluid
dynamics--air flow, pressure drop, resistance, path of least

resistance
etc.. You have no idea what the air flow path will be, without an
analysis
or experimentation, if you have more than one flow path. Think of an
electrical circuit with two or more parallel paths. The current (air
flow)
will not be the same for each path unless they are all of equal

resistance
(or do you want to dispute that too). If you take the time to do a

bit
of
reading (just goggle roof vents, or the like) you'll be lead to a
number
of
sources that cover the topic. What you'll learn is that you cannot
arbitrarily open up a bunch of holes and expect to get the best
ventilation
setup. This has been well thought out and one conclusion is that

gable
vents in parallel with soffit vents are not the optimum solution for

well
ventilated attic. Of course if you disagree, that's not a problem

but
do
more than blow your horn---provide some analysis, reference document

or
any
source of information that we can look at----gut feelings don't work

when
you're trying to solve an engineering problem--and that's what this

is
whether you recognize it or not.
MLD

You can't handle the truth.

Even when the dreaded "bypassing" is occurring between two vents close

each other, the attic is still being vented.

I stand by my statement that it is impossible to have "too many" vents.

I've worked with people just like you---Guess what, they were always the
first ones laid off!!

I've worked with people like you. They were the ones who read their
horoscopes and asked for validation of their narrow-minded opinions from
strangers on newsgroups.

Ooops, looks like I stuck a nerve. The truth shouldn't hurt unless it
ought to----BTW, where did you meet these people, in the unemployment line??