James Bond

Default Quick Attic Ventilation Question

While calculating the number of soffit vents I am going to install in my
house, I am operating on the priciple that I should have equal intake
square footage (from the soffit vents to be installed) as exhaust. Now my
question is do my existing gable vents count as intake or exhaust? And
just to be sure I am using the right term, by gable vent I mean the two
triangular vents at each end of my house that are right below the peak of
the roof. It is my guess that after the installation of soffit vents that
these gable vents would function as exhaust, but I want to verify that.

TIA for any help.

James