Hound Dog

Default Water in gasoline

I have apparently got several cans of gasoline that have been saturated with
water.

This gas works GOOD in my car, but will not work at all in my lawnmower.

Have any of you had such an experience?

HeyBub

Hound Dog wrote:
I have apparently got several cans of gasoline that have been
saturated with water.

This gas works GOOD in my car, but will not work at all in my
lawnmower.
Have any of you had such an experience?

Saturation can't happen. Gasoline is insoluable in water. Gas floats.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Hound Dog" wrote in message
I have apparently got several cans of gasoline that have been saturated
with water.

This gas works GOOD in my car, but will not work at all in my lawnmower.

Have any of you had such an experience?

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by saturated. Can you see the water on
the bottom? Pour off the gas and add alcohol to mix with any remaining
water. You may be able to siphon the water from the bottom also.

Pop

"Hound Dog" wrote in message
I have apparently got several cans of gasoline that
have been saturated with water.

This gas works GOOD in my car, but will not work at
all in my lawnmower.

Have any of you had such an experience?

If there's water in the gas, then it works because it's
laying in the very lowest part of the gas tank and you
haven't sucked any of it up (yet). Water sinks in gas;
it does not mix with it.

You can either filter the gas thru a copper fine mesh
screen, after pouring out about 3/4 of it gently, so
the water stays behind. The screen won't let the water
thru after it's had gasonline thru it. Sometimes a not
very stretched panty hose will work too.

Mikepier

Why would you put that kind of gas in your car? It will cause problems
with the fuel system.

Ron in NY

"Hound Dog" wrote:

I have apparently got several cans of gasoline that have been saturated with
water.

This gas works GOOD in my car, but will not work at all in my lawnmower.

Have any of you had such an experience?

That's because in your car, the fuel pump siphons gas from about 1 or 2 inches
from the bottom--no water there. Your mower, on the other hand, feeds gas from
the very bottom of the tank exactly where the water is. Today's ethanol blended
gasolines are different from older gas in that water does not necessarily fall
to the bottom. It will float around in the gas in "slugs" until the gas gets
about 10% saturated. Then it will start to separate out and fall to the bottom
unless it gets disturbed. Then it will start floating again.

RON

Remove the ZZZ from my E-mail address to send me E-mail.
William W. Plummer

Ron in NY wrote:
"Hound Dog" wrote:

I have apparently got several cans of gasoline that have been saturated with
water.

This gas works GOOD in my car, but will not work at all in my lawnmower.

Have any of you had such an experience?

That's because in your car, the fuel pump siphons gas from about 1 or 2 inches
from the bottom--no water there. Your mower, on the other hand, feeds gas from
the very bottom of the tank exactly where the water is. Today's ethanol blended
gasolines are different from older gas in that water does not necessarily fall
to the bottom. It will float around in the gas in "slugs" until the gas gets
about 10% saturated. Then it will start to separate out and fall to the bottom
unless it gets disturbed. Then it will start floating again.

Airplanes have "quick drains" at all the low points in the fuel system.
Part of every preflight inspection is to drain any water out of all
of these.
Stormin Mormon

I've had a case where one brand of gasoline didn't start a mower, but
another brand worked. Both gasolines purchased within the last couple days.
Saving 5 cents a galon is very expensive some times.

So, it's very possible you got some really awful gasoline.

If it's got a load of water, there might be water settled out of the
gasoline (hard to tell, most gas containers you can't see in).

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Hound Dog" wrote in message
I have apparently got several cans of gasoline that have been saturated with
water.

This gas works GOOD in my car, but will not work at all in my lawnmower.

Have any of you had such an experience?

i havent had this experience because i keep my fuel cans out of the
rain,and i dont put old gas in my car..... but my neighbor and several
other people i know have had this experience, they poured old gas with
water in it in their cars and the cars died and wouldnt start again,,
lucas

Tony Hwang

Hound Dog wrote:
I have apparently got several cans of gasoline that have been saturated with
water.

This gas works GOOD in my car, but will not work at all in my lawnmower.

Have any of you had such an experience?

Hey,
What do you mean saturation? Water does not mix with gas. It settles
at the bottom. Gas at the top.
Now your car fuel tank has some water. Don't let the tank go too low in
gas. You maybe sucking up the water killing the engine.
Tony

Pop

"Stormin Mormon"
wrote in message
news
I've had a case where one brand of gasoline didn't
start a mower, but
another brand worked. Both gasolines purchased within
the last couple days.
Saving 5 cents a galon is very expensive some times.

So, it's very possible you got some really awful
gasoline.

If it's got a load of water, there might be water
settled out of the
gasoline (hard to tell, most gas containers you can't
see in).

Actually, it's pretty easy to tell sometimes: Like,
when the mower stops running, you'll find the fuel
filter full of water; often just drainng the fuel line
and filter are enough to get the engine going again;
don't pull the carb unless you really have to. Oh, and
while you have the hose off, drain a little extra gas
into a clear glass container; when you can't see water
in the gas anymore, you're usually good to go.

Pop

"Hound Dog" wrote in message
I have apparently got several cans of gasoline that
have been saturated with
water.

This gas works GOOD in my car, but will not work at
all in my lawnmower.

Have any of you had such an experience?

Pop

wrote in message
i havent had this experience because i keep my fuel
cans out of the
rain,and i dont put old gas in my car..... but my
neighbor and several
other people i know have had this experience, they
poured old gas with
water in it in their cars and the cars died and
wouldnt start again,,
lucas

It's not rain that gets into the gas. As a rule, water
comes from the gas station, or, more likely, from gas
sitting in a partially filled metal can and forms
moisture as the air heats and cools with the daily
temps. I always use a filter when I put fuel i the
mowers; they catch the water if there is any and you
know to stop. Also saves other debris that gets into
the cans, form going into the tank. Plastic gas cans
in particular always seem to have bits of plastic
inside them.

Pop

George E. Cawthon

Pop wrote:
"Hound Dog" wrote in message

I have apparently got several cans of gasoline that
have been saturated with water.

This gas works GOOD in my car, but will not work at
all in my lawnmower.

Have any of you had such an experience?

If there's water in the gas, then it works because it's
laying in the very lowest part of the gas tank and you
haven't sucked any of it up (yet). Water sinks in gas;
it does not mix with it.

You can either filter the gas thru a copper fine mesh
screen, after pouring out about 3/4 of it gently, so
the water stays behind. The screen won't let the water
thru after it's had gasonline thru it. Sometimes a not
very stretched panty hose will work too.

Or use a chamois or other ways but why not just
poor the gas off the top, leaving the last part
with the water and put that into a smaller
container, poor off the top, etc. At the end you
will lose only a tiny amount of gas..
Pop

"George E. Cawthon"
wrote in message
Pop wrote:
"Hound Dog" wrote in message

[...]

That'd work. But it requires the person to keep the
containers still and watch what they're doing, so I
stuck with some method to filter it. Even with a
strainer, you're going to lose some gas, because once
it plugs up with water, the rest of the gas won't go
thru until you remove the water.

Myself, I'd do as you suggest though. I just got upset
at these people saying to pour it into their gas tanks;
silly, but it seems logical until the level get high
enough, or the road bumpy or tilted enough... .

Pop

George E. Cawthon

Pop wrote:
"George E. Cawthon"
wrote in message

Pop wrote:

"Hound Dog" wrote in message

[...]

I understand you getting upset, the comments are
simply amazing. I have only recently and just
once seen any indication of water in my lawnmower
gas tank. And it has been at least 30 years since
I had any indication of water in the gas tank of a
vehicle. It just isn't a normal problem. And,
throwing a can of gas-dry (or a similar amount of
denatured alcohol from the paint store) into the
gas tank will solve most any water in the gas
problem for a vehicle. In fact, just adding it to
a container is probably the easiest (not the best)
way of handling any water in gas problem.

I had to laugh at the suggestion that water
floated around in blobs in gasohol (gas with 10-15
percent alcohol). That simply is not true. In
fact, it is highly unlikely that one would ever
have a water problem if they were getting gasohol
from the pump.

Vic Dura

On Sun, 22 May 2005 20:26:16 -0400, in alt.home.repair Water
in gasoline "Pop" wrote:

Or use a chamois or other ways but why not just poor
the gas off the top, leaving the last part with the
water and put that into a smaller container, poor off
the top, etc. At the end you will lose only a tiny
amount of gas..

How about mixing gasohol with the contaminated gas? The gasohol is 10%
alcohol which should easily absorb the water. Mix it 50/50.

Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 08:45 PM
Hot water recirculation [email protected] Home Repair 18 August 9th 04 05:32 AM
need hot water FAST PV Home Repair 38 January 30th 04 01:15 AM
Why do gas water heaters fail? I-zheet M'drurz Home Repair 40 January 12th 04 09:59 PM