Vince

Default Safe Disposal of Stale Gasloline

How should/could stale gasoline be safely disposed ?

Seth Goodman

In article , on Sun, 15 May
2005 13:44:06 GMT, Vince wrote:

How should/could stale gasoline be safely disposed ?

If it's just a small amount (say a gallon or less), add it to a nearly
full auto gas tank.

--
Seth Goodman
rchanson

Vince wrote:
How should/could stale gasoline be safely disposed ?

Pour it into the gas tank of your car or other vehicle.
The dilution with the new gas will not cause a problem for the
vehicle. Acttually, I have often found the myth of stale gasoline
just a myth. However, for my chain saw, old gas is really a problem.

Duane Bozarth

rchanson wrote:

... Acttually, I have often found the myth of stale gasoline
just a myth. However, for my chain saw, old gas is really a problem.

Then it isn't a myth, is it? It's a variable.
PaPaPeng

wrote:

How should/could stale gasoline be safely disposed ?

In my province there is a law that vehicle owners who change their own
motor oil must dispose of the waste oil at a gas station dump tank. I
disposed of contaminated gasoline in the same place. I asked the
owner first if it was OK and he said yes.

The Real Tom

wrote:

How should/could stale gasoline be safely disposed ?

If you really believe it's 'bad' then you might want to just use it
diluted. Don't put it in your car since it might mess up with the
emission system, or just overall operation. Personally I would just
use it in my typical 2-cycle engines(lawnmower kind), but diluted.

Just a guess....

tom
SteveB

"rchanson" wrote in message
oups.com...

Vince wrote:
How should/could stale gasoline be safely disposed ?

Pour it into the gas tank of your car or other vehicle.
The dilution with the new gas will not cause a problem for the
vehicle. Acttually, I have often found the myth of stale gasoline
just a myth. However, for my chain saw, old gas is really a problem.

I'm sorry. It's a myth? But, it's a myth that won't run in your chainsaw?
If it's just a myth, it SHOULD run in your chainsaw just fine. Right?

STeve

SteveB

"Vince" wrote in message

How should/could stale gasoline be safely disposed ?

I went to our local landfill transfer station a few weeks ago. As I was
sitting there getting checked in, I noticed a notice that said, "AMNESTY
DAY". I asked about it, and they said they had them four times a year.
That people can bring in anything but explosives, and that kind of stuff. I
had a bunch of old oil base paint that I wanted to dump, so I made the trip
that Saturday.

I just dump mine in the car. I don't ever have that much, and it doesn't
ever get that old.

STeve

ConcreteFinishing&StuccoGuy

Add the 'bad' fuel to the gas tank of your truck or car at a rate of 1 gal
to 15 of good. What do you think refiners do with there less than perfect
gas??????

--

Remove the obvious to reply. Experienced and reliable
Concrete Finishing and Synthetic Stucco application in the GTA.
"SteveB" wrote in message

"rchanson" wrote in message
oups.com...

Vince wrote:
How should/could stale gasoline be safely disposed ?

Pour it into the gas tank of your car or other vehicle.
The dilution with the new gas will not cause a problem for the
vehicle. Acttually, I have often found the myth of stale gasoline
just a myth. However, for my chain saw, old gas is really a problem.

I'm sorry. It's a myth? But, it's a myth that won't run in your

chainsaw?
If it's just a myth, it SHOULD run in your chainsaw just fine. Right?

STeve

HeyBub

Vince wrote:
How should/could stale gasoline be safely disposed ?

Here's what you do NOT want to do: pour it in a storm drain followed thirty
minutes later with a match.

This combination will blow manhole covers for two blocks, belch fire out of
the street storm-drain openings, turn over parked cars, and cause
granny-ladies walking their dogs to drop their donuts.

Every emergency vehicle for miles will respond with much running about by
the occupants. TV trucks, helicopters overhead, neighbors standing outside
their doors (kids safely inside), waiting to be interviewed. Dogs barking.
Cats up trees.

Then, the next day, the federals arrive.

No, don't do that.

Walter R.

What, precisely, is the nature of "stale" gasoline? I use a 2 GL container
for my chainsaw and leaf blower. 2 Gal last about 2 years. I have never had
a problem with stale gas. Is this another urban myth?

What is it that has deteriorated in stale gasoline. Just curious.

Walter
The Happy Iconoclast www.rationality.net

"Vince" wrote in message

How should/could stale gasoline be safely disposed ?

George E. Cawthon

Vince wrote:
How should/could stale gasoline be safely disposed ?

First you need to know what stale gasoline is.
If it is less than a year old, it isn't stale. If
it still smells and looks like regular gas, it
isn't stale. If you have small amounts of stale
gas you can dilute it (about 1 gallon per 10
gallons of fresh gas) and burn it in your vehicle
or other engine.

If you really want to throw it away and it is
really stale, then call the appropriate city or
community office for disposal of hazards materials
--oils, paints, etc. Check also check with auto
supply stores.
Joseph Meehan

Duane Bozarth wrote:
rchanson wrote:

... Acttually, I have often found the myth of stale gasoline
just a myth. However, for my chain saw, old gas is really a problem.

Then it isn't a myth, is it? It's a variable.

Gasoline does go bad. In the old days (I'm old enough to remember) that
was about 6 months. Today gasoline last longer and you can generally store
it for up to a couple of years before it starts showing its age. It is not
a all or none thing, it slowly changes.

As noted, if you have some old gas, just mixing it with fresh gas works
fine.

Note: old gas does not automatically have a lower octane rating. So you
don't need to use premium to counter it. :-)

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Joseph Meehan

Walter R. wrote:
What, precisely, is the nature of "stale" gasoline? I use a 2 GL
container for my chainsaw and leaf blower. 2 Gal last about 2 years.
I have never had a problem with stale gas. Is this another urban myth?

What is it that has deteriorated in stale gasoline. Just curious.

Gasoline is made up of many different hydrocarbons. Some long some
short. Octane has 8 carbons for example. As it ages some of them fall
apart and then recombine with mixed company so they may make longer or
shorter combinations. For several reasons this process tends to speed up
over time. A "stabilizer" can slow the process down (it can't reverse it) .

"Vince" wrote in message

How should/could stale gasoline be safely disposed ?

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Dave Morrison

"Vince" wrote in message

How should/could stale gasoline be safely disposed ?

Ain't a myth. My old Ford 1970 F-350 sat for a couple of years, I
started it up and moved the beast one day so I could put a for sale sign
on it. I let it run for about an hour to make sure everything worked.
All ok. Couple of days later a potential buyer showed up and on startup
it made a few loud noises and started to belch smoke out of one of the
exhaust pipes. I lost the sale, anyway I dug into it and found a couple
of bent push rods with the valves stuck. careful use of a torch,
solvent, and a hammer freed them up. I followed up with fresh gas and
top oil and everything returned to normal. The gum in the old gas stuck
the valves.
Talking to a few old mechanic types I got " yep it'll do that".
Dave

James \Cubby\ Culbertson

I just dump mine on my annoying neighbors yard. Stale or not, it does a
right fine job killing his grass! (kind of fun
to spell words out in his yard this way too!).

Kidding of course. You might check with your city's waste department.
Ours has contracted with a private company to
accept hazardous materials such as gasoline, oil, and such. Doesn't cost
anything either.
Cheers,
cc

"Vince" wrote in message

How should/could stale gasoline be safely disposed ?

George E. Cawthon

SteveB wrote:
"Vince" wrote in message

How should/could stale gasoline be safely disposed ?

I went to our local landfill transfer station a few weeks ago. As I was
sitting there getting checked in, I noticed a notice that said, "AMNESTY
DAY". I asked about it, and they said they had them four times a year.
That people can bring in anything but explosives, and that kind of stuff. I
had a bunch of old oil base paint that I wanted to dump, so I made the trip
that Saturday.

I just dump mine in the car. I don't ever have that much, and it doesn't
ever get that old.

STeve

Our land fill finally got smart. They have one
day a week to take hazardous stuff to the dump at
no cost to the dumper. Then they sort the stuff,
and put it on shelves, especially paints, sealers,
stains, paint thinner, acetone, and all sorts of
chemicals for week control, insecticides, half
empty cans of oven cleaner, etc. You take what
you want for free or pay a minimal cost (like
$0.25 for a nearly full gallon of paint). The
other stuff, like used oil, gets dumped into big
recycle tanks.
SteveB

"Walter R." wrote in message
What, precisely, is the nature of "stale" gasoline? I use a 2 GL container
for my chainsaw and leaf blower. 2 Gal last about 2 years. I have never
had a problem with stale gas. Is this another urban myth?

What is it that has deteriorated in stale gasoline. Just curious.

Walter

Dunno, but my Honda mower wouldn't work. Took it to the shop, and the guy
told me it was "bad gas" that had been in there too long, and the good stuff
had evaporated. You can smell "bad gas". It really smells just like
varnish.

BTW, it cost me $50 to get the "bad gas" taken out, and the mower running
again.

Steve

Darryl

What, precisely, is the nature of "stale" gasoline? I use a 2 GL container
for my chainsaw and leaf blower. 2 Gal last about 2 years. I have never had
a problem with stale gas. Is this another urban myth?

What is it that has deteriorated in stale gasoline. Just curious.

Low boiling fractions may evaporate, leaving a thicker fuel, of which,
certain components (so-called olefins) may decompose. I suspect that
it would also pick up some water. Overall, it's lower octane.

George E. Cawthon

Joseph Meehan wrote:
Duane Bozarth wrote:

rchanson wrote:

... Acttually, I have often found the myth of stale gasoline
just a myth. However, for my chain saw, old gas is really a problem.

Then it isn't a myth, is it? It's a variable.

Gasoline does go bad. In the old days (I'm old enough to remember) that
was about 6 months. Today gasoline last longer and you can generally store
it for up to a couple of years before it starts showing its age. It is not
a all or none thing, it slowly changes.

As noted, if you have some old gas, just mixing it with fresh gas works
fine.

Note: old gas does not automatically have a lower octane rating. So you
don't need to use premium to counter it. :-)

I don't believe it is better today. We used to
store gas in a barrel and not replenish for
several years. Never had a problem with any
engine even if the gas had sat in the tank for
several years. But I did ruin an engine about 5
years ago. We used the pickup primarily for
vacationing and I was busy and didn't go for about
3 years. Some but not all of the gas had been in
the tank for nearly 3 years some for only one
year. The engine ran so quite you could hardly
hear it when I picked up some long wood. 6 months
on a trip to the dump, 5-6 push rods stuck and
were bent (boy what a clatter). Nope, gas in the
50s and 60s was more stable that the current mess.
George E. Cawthon

SteveB wrote:
"Walter R." wrote in message

What, precisely, is the nature of "stale" gasoline? I use a 2 GL container
for my chainsaw and leaf blower. 2 Gal last about 2 years. I have never
had a problem with stale gas. Is this another urban myth?

What is it that has deteriorated in stale gasoline. Just curious.

Walter

Dunno, but my Honda mower wouldn't work. Took it to the shop, and the guy
told me it was "bad gas" that had been in there too long, and the good stuff
had evaporated. You can smell "bad gas". It really smells just like
varnish.

BTW, it cost me $50 to get the "bad gas" taken out, and the mower running
again.

Steve

Next time, dump the gas out of the tank, add some
new gas and add some denature alcohol (up to 15
percent). Crank it a few time, it should start.
If you don't want to run all of the gas-alcohol
mixture through the engine, dump it out and fill
the tank with fresh gas.
George E. Cawthon

"Vince" wrote in message

How should/could stale gasoline be safely disposed ?

I've never had a problem with a gas/oil mixture
used in a 2 cycle engine. It will certainly last
from season to season and most certainly from 2
years. From my own experience I have had no
problem with gas/oil mix that is 3-4 years old.
BUT, you really should mix only the amount you
need for each season. In fact, it would make
more sense to only mix 2 quarts at a time. I
don't use my new chain saw much, so I just mix a
quart at a time.

The gasoline molecules combine with oxygen and
make tarry sticky substances. So another way of
reducing the problem of going stale is to make
sure the storage container is nearly full.
Joseph Meehan

"Vince" wrote in message

How should/could stale gasoline be safely disposed ?

Ain't a myth. My old Ford 1970 F-350 sat for a couple of years, I
started it up and moved the beast one day so I could put a for sale
sign on it. I let it run for about an hour to make sure everything
worked. All ok. Couple of days later a potential buyer showed up and
on startup it made a few loud noises and started to belch smoke out
of one of the exhaust pipes. I lost the sale, anyway I dug into it
and found a couple of bent push rods with the valves stuck. careful
use of a torch, solvent, and a hammer freed them up. I followed up
with fresh gas and top oil and everything returned to normal. The gum
in the old gas stuck the valves.

Or the gummy old oil that had been there all that time. I really don't
believe it was the gas.

Talking to a few old mechanic types I got " yep it'll do that".
Dave

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Joseph Meehan

SteveB wrote:
"Walter R." wrote in message
What, precisely, is the nature of "stale" gasoline? I use a 2 GL
container for my chainsaw and leaf blower. 2 Gal last about 2 years.
I have never had a problem with stale gas. Is this another urban
myth?
What is it that has deteriorated in stale gasoline. Just curious.

Walter

Dunno, but my Honda mower wouldn't work. Took it to the shop, and
the guy told me it was "bad gas" that had been in there too long, and
the good stuff had evaporated. You can smell "bad gas". It really
smells just like varnish.

Yes, generally it does smell different, after all it is different. It
is also true that the gas can go bad because some of it evaporates. Not all
the parts evaporate at the same rate. However even gas in a sealed
container will go bad, but not because of evaporation.

BTW, it cost me $50 to get the "bad gas" taken out, and the mower
running again.

Steve

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

ConcreteFinishing&StuccoGuy

Gotta admit i get a 'gas' out of the idiots here saying stale gas is an
urban myth. LOL, gas without stabilizer that goes beyond a couple months is
a clogged carb looking for a place to happen.
BTW even winter spring and summer gas differ at time of delivery, try
starting a tractor using winter gas in the heat of summer, it just runs like
**** even with stabilizers.

--

"Vince" wrote in message

How should/could stale gasoline be safely disposed ?

Vince

The "stale" gasloine that I am referring to sat in a typical container
in my garage since last fall. When attempting to run my mower, the
engine would stall out. Fresh gasline solved that problem.

The color of the gasline looks like urine. I would not dare to put it
into the gas tank of my 1991 car. The gas is now sitting in a covered
plastic cat litter container in my backyard.

Other than pouring the gasoline over an area where termites are
supsected to be thriving and lighting a match, I would prefer to
dispose of it safely.

wrote:

How should/could stale gasoline be safely disposed ?

Duane Bozarth

Vince wrote:

The "stale" gasloine that I am referring to sat in a typical container
in my garage since last fall. When attempting to run my mower, the
engine would stall out. Fresh gasline solved that problem.

The color of the gasline looks like urine. I would not dare to put it
into the gas tank of my 1991 car. The gas is now sitting in a covered
plastic cat litter container in my backyard.

That's not all that long and it will be fine if you dilute it in any
vehicle.

The color is probably the same as the color it started--that's the dye
color for what is in use here as well...
Dave Morrison

Joseph Meehan wrote:

"Vince" wrote in message

[...]

Ok I did not change the oil and the problem did not repeat. The valve
stems were glued in their bores no way oil is going to do that. Varnish
in the gas, gets built up on the stems when you run the engine with
stale gas, hardens when you let the engine cool. next time it is started
it carks. Ever work on a carb that was allowed to dry out? Believe me
there is varnish in that gas.
Dave

just pour it on some weeds , or mix it with used oil. i would not
put rotten gas in your car, true some may have gotten away with it but
ive seen it stop fuel pumps and clog filters. lucas

Duane Bozarth

"Red Cloudİ" wrote:
Nope, even an engine that simple burns a little oil because the rings
are worn can destroy the converter pretty quickly. They don't tolerate
oil very well at all.

But that's a continual situation, not a one-shot deal...an entirely
different scenario.

Duane Bozarth

"Red Cloudİ" wrote:

On Tue, 17 May 2005 14:13:26 -0500, Duane Bozarth
wrote:

"Red Cloudİ" wrote:
Nope, even an engine that simple burns a little oil because the rings
are worn can destroy the converter pretty quickly. They don't tolerate
oil very well at all.

But that's a continual situation, not a one-shot deal...an entirely
different scenario.

Nope, Duane, I said QUICKLY. There are additives in oil that are
deadly to the converter even in what "sounds" like relatively small
doses.

You are free to do whatever you want, but you also get to pay for your
mistakes. I'm just trying to save you some trouble and expense.

I'm not doing it, but knowing how long many cars run w/ sizable oil
consumption and comparing that w/ the one time mixture of say 32:1 of
2-cycle oil for 1 gal in 15 gal tank, I'll venture the chances are
pretty minimal in that type of volume to see discernable damage.

You have specific information to the contrary on actual volumes
required?
Joseph Meehan

Red Cloudİ wrote:

Sorry, I checked back, and I got this thread confused with another
similar one that involved discarding old gas with 2-stroke oil mixed
into it, which WILL ruin a catalytic converter, and potentially plug
injectors.

rusty redcloud

That will not likely cause a problem.

Consider this. Most car manufacturers today believe that a quart of oil
every 1,000 miles is acceptable. (I don't, but that is another issue). In
any case they are talking about burning a quart of engine oil in 1,000 miles
That would be a quart of oil in maybe 40 gallons of gas. Mixing a gallon of
2 cycle mix with say 10 gallons of gas would give you far less oil per
gallon than the manufacturer says is safe, and it is oil designed to burn in
an engine unlike engine oil.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Duane Bozarth

Joseph Meehan wrote:

Red Cloudİ wrote:

Sorry, I checked back, and I got this thread confused with another
similar one that involved discarding old gas with 2-stroke oil mixed
into it, which WILL ruin a catalytic converter, and potentially plug
injectors.

rusty redcloud

That will not likely cause a problem.

Consider this. Most car manufacturers today believe that a quart of oil
every 1,000 miles is acceptable. (I don't, but that is another issue). In
any case they are talking about burning a quart of engine oil in 1,000 miles
That would be a quart of oil in maybe 40 gallons of gas. Mixing a gallon of
2 cycle mix with say 10 gallons of gas would give you far less oil per
gallon than the manufacturer says is safe, and it is oil designed to burn in
an engine unlike engine oil.

That parallels my thinking as well....there are a lot of older vehicles
still passing emission checks that a significant (imo) amount of oil...
Jack

I dump it on the weeds growing in cracks in sidewalk... probably
illegal... but hey... it just evaporates away doesn't it???