George E. Cawthon

Joseph Meehan wrote:
Red Cloudİ wrote:

Sorry, I checked back, and I got this thread confused with another
similar one that involved discarding old gas with 2-stroke oil mixed
into it, which WILL ruin a catalytic converter, and potentially plug
injectors.

rusty redcloud

That will not likely cause a problem.

Consider this. Most car manufacturers today believe that a quart of oil
every 1,000 miles is acceptable. (I don't, but that is another issue). In
any case they are talking about burning a quart of engine oil in 1,000 miles
That would be a quart of oil in maybe 40 gallons of gas. Mixing a gallon of
2 cycle mix with say 10 gallons of gas would give you far less oil per
gallon than the manufacturer says is safe, and it is oil designed to burn in
an engine unlike engine oil.

Damn, there is always someone who bring up an
unassailable point.

Like you, I don't think 1 qt of oil per 1000 miles
is ok, but Ford does. Luckily, the oil level in
my truck stays pretty level, not down more than
1/2 qt maximum after 3000 hard miles. Otherwise,
it would go away real quick and become a Chevy or
a Dodge.
Don Young

I know for a fact that adding stale gasoline to the tank on a Farmall Cub
can run just fine and cause all the valves to stick when the engine cools
down. I do not know just how old the gas was or what the ratio of old to new
gas was but I do not put any more stale gas in my tanks after that
experience. Your experience may differ.
Don Young

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message
Joseph Meehan wrote:
Red Cloudİ wrote:

[...]

W. Wells

If you are near a boat landing you can put the old gas with boats that have
large gas tanks and it will not effect their gas. I guess anything with a
large gas tank would do.
"Vince" wrote in message
On Mon, 16 May 2005 21:10:44 -0400, wrote:

just pour it on some weeds , or mix it with used oil. i would not
put rotten gas in your car, true some may have gotten away with it but
ive seen it stop fuel pumps and clog filters. lucas

I believe that it would be foolish to mix contaminated/stale gasoline
with the car gasoline. I wont do that here.

Duane Bozarth

Joseph Meehan wrote:

Red Cloudİ wrote:

Sorry, I checked back, and I got this thread confused with another
similar one that involved discarding old gas with 2-stroke oil mixed
into it, which WILL ruin a catalytic converter, and potentially plug
injectors.

rusty redcloud

That will not likely cause a problem.

Consider this. Most car manufacturers today believe that a quart of oil
every 1,000 miles is acceptable. (I don't, but that is another issue). In
any case they are talking about burning a quart of engine oil in 1,000 miles
That would be a quart of oil in maybe 40 gallons of gas. Mixing a gallon of
2 cycle mix with say 10 gallons of gas would give you far less oil per
gallon than the manufacturer says is safe, and it is oil designed to burn in
an engine unlike engine oil.

OK, I did this...

1 qt/1000 miles at 25 mpg -- 1 qt/40 gal -- 1/4 gal:40 gal -- 1:160.

My example of 1:32 in a 1:15 dilution tank is 1:15*32 -- 1:480

As you say, that's a factor of three dilution over what would be
considered by many as "normal". It's unlikely there are many vehicles
of significant mileage that don't use close to that per tankful
although, of course, not all of it is burned.

So, I'm still comfortable that such a dilution will not be the cause of
immediate failure of a catalytic converter. I would still try to use
any old 2-cycle prepared fuel by diluting it in a 2-cycle engine, but
think Red Cloud's concern is way overblown.

Joseph Meehan

W. Wells wrote:
If you are near a boat landing you can put the old gas with boats
that have large gas tanks and it will not effect their gas. I guess
anything with a large gas tank would do.

I don't think that is a good idea. Running out of gas (or having your
engine quit due to some problem in your car is one thing, generally is it
inconvenient. Having your engine quit in a boat boat is much more likely to
be life threatening.

I sure would not put anything into my boat tank that I would not put in
my car's tank.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Matt

Vince wrote:
How should/could stale gasoline be safely disposed ?

If it is so old that it is leaded gas, don't put it in your car, as it
will foul the catalytic converter.

Matt

Mark wrote:
On Wed, 18 May 2005 16:47:32 GMT, Matt wrote:

Vince wrote:

How should/could stale gasoline be safely disposed ?

If it is so old that it is leaded gas, don't put it in your car, as it
will foul the catalytic converter.

If it's that old (10 plus years), would it even burn ???

Supposedly it comes from dead dinosaurs.