George E. Cawthon

Walter R. wrote:
What, precisely, is the nature of "stale" gasoline? I use a 2 GL container
for my chainsaw and leaf blower. 2 Gal last about 2 years. I have never had
a problem with stale gas. Is this another urban myth?

What is it that has deteriorated in stale gasoline. Just curious.

Walter
The Happy Iconoclast www.rationality.net

"Vince" wrote in message

How should/could stale gasoline be safely disposed ?

I've never had a problem with a gas/oil mixture
used in a 2 cycle engine. It will certainly last
from season to season and most certainly from 2
years. From my own experience I have had no
problem with gas/oil mix that is 3-4 years old.
BUT, you really should mix only the amount you
need for each season. In fact, it would make
more sense to only mix 2 quarts at a time. I
don't use my new chain saw much, so I just mix a
quart at a time.

The gasoline molecules combine with oxygen and
make tarry sticky substances. So another way of
reducing the problem of going stale is to make
sure the storage container is nearly full.